What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Competition ideas for non-pinheads

Wizards_Hat

Registered
After last years' NLP I got the Teenage Cancer Trust to come in to my school & speak to the 6th form...I'm doing the same this year, but I've also been given permission to follow this up with a pinball competition fund-raiser :)

The TCT will be coming to speak to the 6th form on 3rd Dec & I'll be running some form of comp in the last week of term (week beginning 14th Dec).

...I was wondering - anyone got any good ideas for competition formats to run for non-pin-heads (and/or spreadsheets for recording scores) ...I'll have my 4 machines STTNG, F14, TX-sector & Moon Flight
I'll have the machines in school all week - so can run comps over a few days....would really like whatever I do to have the dual purpose of kids having fun with pinball AND raising as much money for the TCT that I can.

Looks like I'll also have use of the 2 linked NBA's from the NLP...so that's at least one easy to understand comp :thumbs:

Regards,
Dan.

The two linked machines will be a bigger hit, since they can play their mates - if you put a partition down the middle it'll be a pin equivalent of Online counterstrike.... lol

hey Dan, i love the thing you're doing with both introducing kids to pinball and also raising money for a worthy cause.

here's a link with various formats for competitions: http://www.skill-shot.com/content/pinball-tournaments-are-rad,406

.... but my favourite is still the good old straight knockout, as it means even the crappy players can win: everyone puts a pound in a hat until you get 64 players (or 32 if less interest). pick the names out of a hat to play each other for every single round, as the draw can be as much fun as the results. either best of 3 or a single game knockout depending on time available. 32 becomes 16, 8, 4, then 2 in the final. repeat for each of the machines. winner of each comp gets a cut of the takings (?half) or has the option to take the title and bragging rights and give it all to charity.

or get the kids more involved by asking them to get sponsorship to play one handed or cross-handed or one on each flipper.

or get the nerds to stream it on the internet. or get the jocks to win the rights to play various teachers. or make the losers do forfeits like paint hair green or pour a cab of baked beans into their pants.

Can I enter Dan :p

Linked NBAs are brilliant fun, especially as part of a competition. It needs to make sure you are marshalling it though

GET IN THE GAME!!!!! :rofl:

Thanks for the support.

No chance I'd be allowed to have forfeits of the sort you've suggested Dan (we market ourselves as an "academic" 6th form & we're quite strict with the way we expect them to behave)...think I'm going to have to reward winners only!

A few others have suggested a pin-golf tournament...however, I think that would be difficult to marshal - I'll need things that are easy to manage by myself or someone else that has no knowledge of pinball...I'll still have my normal job to be doing that week!

Current ideas:
1) Linked NBA as straight knockout comp.
2) Another knock-out comp - with players drawn from a hat in pairs & the machine to play on for each pair also randomly drawn
3) High score on each machine over the week (the machines will be sat in the common room all week).

Thinking £1 per entry for each comp (with perhaps £5 or £10 in for staff) - with a trophy for the winner & medals for 2nd & 3rd...don't want to offer cash reward as I think as much as possible should go in the charity pot - I also don't want the school to get the idea that pinball's all about gambling.

Regards,
Dan.

Try the more fun route too.

Mixed pairs (flipper each)
Coxed pair (blindfolded player with other player giving instructions)

Don't go buying any medals, I have a 123 left over from some comp you are welcomed to. More money for the TCT.
Will give then to you next time we meet up.

The two linked machines will be a bigger hit, since they can play their mates - if you put a partition down the middle it'll be a pin equivalent of Online counterstrike.... lol

Or put them back to back, then they can peep round and taunt each other ;)

Looks great Dan. Wish there were teachers like you when I was at school. Lucky kids.
exactly. all i got was Mr Ackford (rugby player, ex-policeman) desperate to hit everyone with a ruler, and Mr Ewens (confirmed bachelor, later helping police with enquiries) keen to check everyone has washed *everywhere* after muddy games afternoon. sheesh. it's a miracle i turned out normal.

Busy, busy day. Linked NBA by far the favourite amongst the pupils, followed by STTNG :)
Moon Flight didn't even last the morning - developed a short somewhere, dammed if I can find it :hmm:
Not sure how much money for the TCT yet (sealed tubs)...but plenty of kids put money in & many more have pledged to bring money tomorrow.
Now lots of interest for competitions later in the week :thumbs:
Top scores so far:
NBA - 69
TX Sector - 1.6M
F14 - 1.3M
STTNG - 610M

Offered to play anyone on STTNG - they get a full game, I get 1 ball...if I win they put a pound in the box...if they win, I put a fiver in...so far no-one's dare challenge me :(
(might up my forfeit to £10 if no-one takes me up on it tomorrow).

Regards,
Dan.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom