What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Common experiences in buying?

JLT

Registered
I've lurked in a few pinball communities for a while, and recently bitten the bullet and joined in, and having dived in head first this year to tournaments, meets and the like, have been trying to source that elusive first pin of my very own. That's all the exciting bits...

The rest, feels (right now) like a bit of a slog, and I'm starting to wonder if I'm doing it all wrong. My experiences are thus:

First experience: made someone an offer on a table from a private advert marked offers around 'x' offered 5% lower so that it suited my budget, resounding no, asked him what he'd like "asking price only", 24 hours passed whilst I figured out if I could stretch, I could, emailed him back 'Can do that, no problem'... get the reply "Sorry, someone offered more", fair enough, good luck to the chap.

Second experience: Based on previous learning, saved up a bit more to have some budget room. Respond to ad with posted price, offering asking price. Offer accepted. Then rejected 30 minutes later "someone outbid you". Fair enough, c'est la vie, I wasnt aware this was an auction...

Third experience: Offer asking price, offer accepted. Next day, message "Sorry, someone local came around with cash, so I sold it to them".............. Really.....................

Fourth Onwards: I found PinballInfo (which took me surprisingly long), almost fed up of the entire process, and since then I've made offers on stuff that interests me, but it always seems to be 'not quite enough' (though folks are really nice about it and seem perfectly reasonable, this offsets the pain of missing out a little).

My perspective at the moment is that in the pinball world, demand way outstrips supply (unless you have NIB money to spend), and when people say 'Offers' etc. its really a courtesy, as the price will be as close to the 'ask' as to not make a difference, or in many cases in excess of the asking price.

In cases where I can hit that, I need to live next door, or be able to drop everything and leave work, with a wedge of cash, and hand it over.

So this is an honest ask, am I doing it wrong? is it always like this? or have I just had a run of bad luck? (I want to state again, everyon I've had contact with here on PinballInfo has been a gent, and really courteous without issue) I mean, it gives me a bit more time to save up and raise that budget, but it doesn't quell the disappointment, and it's getting a little soul destroying.

Your first three experiences sound pretty common to me when you're trying to buy games off Gumtree, Ebay etc. The fact that you've made a few offers on here and not secured anything makes me wonder whether your budget doesn't quite match your wish list.

What sort of games are you interested in (maybe a few examples of games you'd like) and what type of budget do you have?

Hi JLT

You've perhaps been a little unlucky with Pinballinfo (previous wider world experience is perhaps very typical!). - I was in your situation just over a year ago, looking for my first machine, when I came across Pinballinfo and have since bought two machines, with the process being very smooth and 'pleasant' in both cases dealing with fellow members.

Perhaps a factor in looking at machines for sale on here is that they tend to be priced knowledgeably (and hence realistically) in the first instance so the price stated is likely to the price you'll need to pay in most cases, rather than making an offer. In some cases buyers reduce the price if it hasn't sold after a while, but most machines seem to sell relatively quickly, implying prices are normally about right.

The other thing to factor in, as a benefit of buying from here, is that from what I have experienced myself and seen played out on various threads is that once a deal has been agreed both seller and buyer tend to stick with it (rather than allowing 'gazumping' and price hikes etc) as people, rightly, want to be seen to be 'doing the right thing' by the rest of the Pinball Info community as there is ongoing dialogue and interaction amomngst mutually respecting members.

Probably best to get your allocated budget as high as possible and then plump quickly for one at the advertised price as soon as it comes up?

Prices on here seem pretty consistent to me, if a machine has a good price it will sell straight away, so no offers need to be considered.

A lot of the time, it's down to how quickly the buyer needs to shift the machine. If the seller has a machine incoming they may need to shift one quickly to make room so it might just be worth making an offer.

Like Nick says above, I think you've been unlucky here as I've had offers accepted, or often halfway between the offer and the asking price.

I'd say it's always worth making an offer, unless the machine price seems like a good deal then just pay the asking price before someone else does.

Firstly welcome. Getting your first pin isn't easy, unless you just happen to know somebody close by who is selling one. I would say that you have probably had a bit of bad luck and if your first, second and third experiences relate to ebay, private ads, gumtree, etc then that is usually the norm 'Sh*t happens' as, like any hobby/collection, there are people out there that would flog their granny just to get that certain pin whether for their collection or just to buy it and then flip for a profit BUT you are now in the right place for hopefully buying your first pin. Look in the For Sale section and you will usually find something for sale with a price or ono as all ads have to have prices as per @Paul site rules.

If you see something you like then PM the seller but would say don't hang around as if it is a good price or sought after machine then it won't be around for long.

You could also place a wanted ad if you have specific pins that you want :)

Thanks both, very wise advice and you've basically reaffirmed what I'd hoped. My impressions since discovering this community (which is frankly a godsend) is that I've just been a bit slow in replying, and people have already agreed sale, neither price nor 'gazumping' has come up (which is ace. When someone's declined and offer and not 'suggested' an alternate and haggled, my own take is always just to thank them for their taking the time to reply, it'd never be to throw money at it a'la "I'll give you X more than whoevers bought it" it seems unfair on the successful offer).

My budget has varied over the last 6 months between 900 and 2k (it currently sits towards the low end after an annual season ticket purchase for my commute), as life events etc. happen, but as a marker I've never offered less than 90% of someone's asking price. (that'd just be rude right?) and I've only ever offered less in cases where my budget doesn't fit the price (I don't subscribe to the 'must get something off' philosophy, though I understand some swear by it quite successfully)

The conclusion I had come to and hoped would be reaffirmed here is 'Save more, offer the asking price, offer quickly' my prior experiences of doing this combined with recent disappointment to make it all feel a bit hopeless, I'll lick my wounds and keep saving.

As I say, thanks very much for the advice, I really should land on a specific wants list, though I'll admit I'm a little like a fox in a chicken coup, they're all so beautiful (with some exceptional cases)

Right now wants that seem within reach are bally/williams classics that dont cost the earth (MB and MM are noteably lovely and totally out of my league) such as: WW FT SS Congo (which was amazing fun at LPC), I realise my budget doesn't stretch to great 'collectors' examples of these games, but i'm pretty handy and actually excited by the idea of a bit of a project (but not a full rebuild just yet) I try to be a realist. Try.

This is a great community and help is always available so you can buy with confidence plus Martin the delivery man probably knows where everybody lives as he has moved countless numbers of pins so if a journey is too far then think for £85 you get it delivered to your door.

Pinball is a bit like the housing market in the sense that once you get one pin then you can save a bit more and trade up to a more expensive one HOWEVER be warned once you get one you then want two, then three, etc, etc

Timing is everything unfortunately. When I have sold pins on here I have priced them, in my eyes, on the lower side of fair ;-), which generally results in a very quick sale...... but means you have to have been checking in on here pretty regularly to be in with a shout.

It is difficult as a newbie in that you may be hesitant to jump on a machine and say yep you'll have it, but often that is the only way..... Snooze you lose as they say.

This is easier with more experience, as you know machines better, know condition/price, have confidence about fixin small issues.

Good luck. It's a ridiculous, but awesome hobby :-D

Sadly, since there is money about, not everyone is honorable. Most, but not all, on here are.

Another thing to remember is you'll always overpay if you are looking for something. Pinball buying is a waiting game. Take your time, what you want will usually turn up.

Another option is ebay, most sellers I have dealt with are happy with the 'turn up and offer cash option'. No faf has it's price, most people just want it sold. Lots on here will say avoid ebay, but having seen some of the over priced rotters sold by 'valued' members of this forum, I'd say 'buyer beware' and always go with an open mind.

Yeah, moving quick is key when the machine is priced about right (which obviously can be hard to know from just pictures, or due to lack of experience) - I missed what looked like a great example of an SS by 5 mins earlier this year....twat it!...but will just play the patience game until something priced right and looking nice quality comes up again.

Timing is everything;)
Don't over think it. If you have an idea of a table and what you would be willing to spend on it then if one comes up here don't spend too long wondering if it's mint. What's the worse that is likely to happen? Maybe you lose £100 when you sell it but with your first table you'll probably put 1000+ games on it, so it's 10p a game.

Gazumping is probably big on Gumtree/ebay but I've never encountered it on here.

If you are spending £4k+ then it's probably worth paying a bit more attention though.:oops:

Demand is still higher than supply but it's not as bad as it was say two years ago. There are tables turning up and I've got a feeling that a lot of us have now run out of room. When MMr, Kiss and the Hobbit all get made then there will be a trickle down effect of people selling games to raise cash and free up space.

£1200-£2000 is easily enough to get you a decent game. You're probably only looking at a few 90s games that will go for more than 2 grand. For 2k you might be able to get two.

League meets are also a good place to get wind of machines coming up for sale.

Good luck with your search

Hi JLT please dont be put off by not finding the right deal it will come along the main reason i didnt accept your offer was the fact i was offered a little more but mainly that the guy could collect the next day and i have also dealt with him before it makes things so much easier as i have pins coming and going all the time and space is always an issue
if you let me know your budget and if its a project workshopped or super mint then i will keep a look out
hope this helps

@chris b , I deliberately didn't mention you by name, so as to cast no aspertions. I also tried to make very clear in my post that this didn't pertain to members here but the wider pinball market in the UK. You were a straight up gent, a credit to the forum. I'm not put off, just needed the reality check from the wiser and more experienced members here.

TL:DR this community brings hope, the wider UK pinball market still mystifies me somewhat.

Last edited:
I thinks a good thing for you to do would be save up as much cash as you can then visit the nlp event later in the year they will more than likley be pins for sale that you can view play and chat to the seller

Buying games is a nightmare. When describing it to friends I say that buying a used pinball machine is like buying a used chainsaw.

You simply have no idea of condition and value until you see it with your own eyes. DigitAl photos hide playfield damage etc

Agreeing a price is bad enough. Then travelling hours to find that some lying c@nt was flattering the game enormously in the description is quite normal too on eBay and gumtree. To be fair, not all poor descriptions are down to liars. Some folk just do not know what try are selling and condition is obviously subjective

I have bought one game on here, was really smooth. I would say buy a well maintained one on here from a known seller. Pay up to secure it then you are on your way. There are plenty of folk picking through the bargains on gumtree and eBay so unless you are prepared to move immediately, travel many miles, I doubt you will get a bargain. And do remember that if you buy a poorly maintained game, the cost of rubbers (15), plastics (100 a set), flipper rebuilds (50 for 4 flippers) , ramps (100 new) can get expensive very quickly. Just replacing 4 tatty flipper bats is £15 for example

I have had a game 15 years but am new to the leagues, and large events - I only started going this year, but it is a great way to experience games and learn more before you step in

Again with the wisdom of the many. We're planning to be at the UKPP This year, which will at least be a chance to see some machines for sale and chat to the owners. Unsure about some of these later shows this year until dates are firmed up.

Dave,

Leo, Gary and myself are heading over to the Pinball party at Heighway pinball factory in Merthyr Tidfill in August. Been looking at costs to bring a car over but unles you have 4 people in the car (meaning no room for a pin) its much cheaper to fly and hire a car. Most people who sell you a pin will normally be happy enough to get it lifted by a courier after the show. Saying that, them not having to pack it up and bring it home could get you a few £ off. Andy might let you leave a pin at the factory for a few days while you sort a courier (i'm guessing)

Rosslare to Fishgaurd is about £360 return for car and 4, flights are less than £100 return and a hire car less than £30 a day

I wanted to go to that myself but heading off for a big trip with the missus in september.So need the $$$!
Going to leave it to next year.(After september!)

If you buy a pin at the party then see if Andy Heighway can deliver it to you for a fee. I gather he's planning on collecting a bunch of pins before the event so it might fit in with his plans for when he returns them.

Thinking of the party is there a pin pledge page set up yet?

Back
Top Bottom