What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Comet LEDs for GI, warm white, sunlight?

David_Vi

Site Supporter
Alias
DaveTheTrain
My Black Rose has LEDs throughout but It feels dark in some areas of the playfield and the gi is very white - it doesn't feel like a good match for the playfield colours and theme.

I'd been toying with Comet sunlights or warm whites. Sunlights in photos looks warmer than the white on Rosie currently.
So i ordered a bunch from @James including a few of the bright tower leds thinking they might suit some areas and brighten it up!
Also grabbed three spotlights from Pinball Mania.

I swapped a few of the new Sunlights in and to my surprise they're identical to the ones already in Rosie.
It seems she already had Comet Sunlights (although they don't appear as bright) 🤔and sunlights aren't as warm as I thought.

Now I'm an indecisive person and choice overwhelms me.
I have a few questions and I'm hoping for some advice.

1. The comets in the GI and backbox say Comet on them and match the colour tone of the new Sunlights but they appear to be 1SMD, but i can't be sure because of the frosted lens... Is it likely? Did comet ever do 1SMD Sunlights for GI?
  2. What's the concensus on Warm white? I feel like it would fit in better on a game like Black Rose, so I'm toying with swapping the sunlights to warm white.
  3. If going with warm white, are there better leds suited for the spotlights? I get the impression warm white might feel a little darker than sunlight or natural
  4. Wildcard! Having warm white in some locations and sunlight in others might work? The lower pf has a lot of warmer colours, like the wood of the ship, whereas some locations have blues and lighter tones...
My DEJP is still incandescent but I'm considering at least doing the GI in comet LEDs. I figure if I go warm on Black Rose I'll keep a few of the sunlights so I can try out the different tones on Jurassic Park, but i feel that might suit warmer also. @James I believe you also have a DEJP? what would you reccomend?

A few photos

20210606_182718.jpg
The Lamp on the right was one I found in my collection that I assume must be a warm white? (I was using the two sockets just to compare the colours, I know one is for the red gi )

20210605_143713.jpg
Most of the GI is the Comet Sunlights with the what I assume is warm white towers under the slings and to the left of the yellow targets.
I only added the towers, added the spotlights and swapped the gi at the slings before I realised the leds already in the GI appear to be Sunlights.

20210605_114336.jpg
Top right is the lone warm white I found. The bottom one is one of the new Sunlights.

Attachments

• 20210606_181907.jpg
    20210606_181907.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 10
Looks good for both, personal preference though. Trial and error see what you like.

@David_Vi - you are right those spotlights are WARM WHITE - not sunlight, although have the same band as sunlight, which is highly confusing.

I find the cool white (we only stock those and sunlight) work on more modern games, and the sunlight on older games. However, to throw a spanner in that. Cool white feels BRIGHTER, maybe because it is harsher?

DEJP, I would probably put cool white in... oddly. I think it is actually a dark game and that cool white might make it pop a little more.

1623096295039.png

Is that one of our 4 x 1's - if so, can you try another one, as it looks quite dark. On BM66 I put them on the backboard and they look VERY bright.

@David_Vi - you are right those spotlights are WARM WHITE - not sunlight, although have the same band as sunlight, which is highly confusing.

I find the cool white (we only stock those and sunlight) work on more modern games, and the sunlight on older games. However, to throw a spanner in that. Cool white feels BRIGHTER, maybe because it is harsher?

DEJP, I would probably put cool white in... oddly. I think it is actually a dark game and that cool white might make it pop a little more.

View attachment 139783

Is that one of our 4 x 1's - if so, can you try another one, as it looks quite dark. On BM66 I put them on the backboard and they look VERY bright.

Are you sure about the spots? Or got the words mixed up? All the lamps from you appear to be sunlight except the 4x1 towers which are definitely warm. I've used most of those so far in areas where there's no direct line of sight from the player. Those are definitely your 4x1s as I've never had any before, i grabbed 8 from you to try out and they're great for certain areas
hTey're definitely warmer than the #44 and #555s.
And Comet don't appear to do them in Sunlight, but do in Warm white.

20210607_220046.jpg
There's 3 locations where there's 4x1 towers and one where there's a warm white #44 frosted.
I think it's obvious where they are and they go well with the art.
(I also moved the spotlights, they have sunlights in which I think works as they light up above SINK SHIP where its not as brown.

I'd definitely like some 2SMD warm whites if you ever get them in.

I'm still a little confused by the Comets that were already in Rosie, they're the same as the new ones except not as bright, i can only assume they're 1SMD frosted. I can just about tell them apart as at an angle you can just make out the led diode square.

Sorry I thought you put the 4x1’s in spotlights

4x1’s are warm white. Yes.

Sorry I thought you put the 4x1’s in spotlights

4x1’s are warm white. Yes.
Your website says Sunlight when ordering those, but I'm pleased they are warm white 😂

Did you order your restock of Comets yet? If so will there be more selection?
I'm still hoping to get those flashers and warm whites🤞

I prefer warm whites too, tried sunlights and not warm enough for my liking in 90’s pins.
I like the premium 2 ones, similar to what the remakes use which look good. Only tried the Comet sunlights though, must check out their warms.
https://www.pinball-led.co.uk/shop/premium-2-x-smd-led-non-ghosting-bayonet/
I take that back, ordered a STTNG kit and 40 premium 2 warm whites that arrived yesterday and they are no longer a nice warm white compared to their earlier version.
Have the earlier warm whites in FT slings plus others and wanted to add them to the return lanes as I used cheaper warm whites there that were not as nice.

Your website says Sunlight when ordering those, but I'm pleased they are warm white 😂

Did you order your restock of Comets yet? If so will there be more selection?
I'm still hoping to get those flashers and warm whites🤞
We have had a restock yes, but I need to update website, surprisingly pinks were the main one we ran out of I don’t think we ran out of anything else to be honest. I’ve been asked to stock warm whites but in all honesty I get very few requests for them and sunlight sells so well. It’d cost quite a bit to stock up on four flavours (about £600) and I don’t know how long we would have to hold it for. Space is the bigger issue over cost at the minute 😂

I used Warm Whites in Roadshow's backbox, looked far too yellow. Replaced with Sunlights and it looked better, but still quite warm. I'd try cooler whites next time i get a RoadShow, just to see the difference. Not normally a fan of colder/bluer whites.

As for the Playfield & GI - you know my views; Sunlight white 2SMD frosted for nearly everything.

I used Warm Whites in Roadshow's backbox, looked far too yellow. Replaced with Sunlights and it looked better, but still quite warm. I'd try cooler whites next time i get a RoadShow, just to see the difference. Not normally a fan of colder/bluer whites.

As for the Playfield & GI - you know my views; Sunlight white 2SMD frosted for nearly everything.

Road Show is nice with the sunlights!
What's odd is it already has Comet sunlights but they aren't as bright, so must be 1SMDs... I didn't know Comet did those?
I swapped a few to 2smds as I ordered some from James for Rosie and they didn't suit (I thought Sunlights were warmer and didn't realise Roadshow and Rosie already had Sunlights 🙄). The 2smds are much brighter!

As I have a load of Sunlights I tried a few on my DEJP and I'm not sure they suit. I much prefer the warmer feel of the incandescents. So the quest for Warm whites continues!
20210614_201845.jpg

I take that back, ordered a STTNG kit and 40 premium 2 warm whites that arrived yesterday and they are no longer a nice warm white compared to their earlier version.
Have the earlier warm whites in FT slings plus others and wanted to add them to the return lanes as I used cheaper warm whites there that were not as nice.
Do you mean the Pinball LED warms aren't as warm as you expected?

That was my next port of call, unless I do an order direct from Comet.

They are not as warm as the previous warm whites I’ve had from them, side by side clearly cooler. Hard to get a pic to compare, might be closer to sunlights.
Forget them if you like the warm incandescent look.

Back
Top Bottom