What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Colour DMD shoot out ! - options

I ve sent @Rappelbox about 10 messages about the one he sells, but no reply, I wonder if he has stopped selling them.

I had some questions before pulling the trigger on one.

Thanks, yes I saw that thread. If you read the comments a few months on, they say that the animations are affected and only work some of the time. Its a real shame, as that would be perfect.

As per usual, Gottliebs are the ugly sisters that get locked in the attic........ :(

Just checking back on the above PinballSP thread... he definitely says Gottlieb support...

“... Product is full compatible with all real pinball Bally/williams, Data East, Stern WhiteStar, Stern SAM and Virtual pinball (pinmame, future, etc...). And with version V2 of firmware, also support Gottlieb and Stern Spike (this firmware version require key activation, but only need pay 10 euros to firmware developer to activate it, then work forever with free updates)... “

Have u messaged @pinballsp ?

Just checking back on the above PinballSP thread... he definitely says Gottlieb support...

“... Product is full compatible with all real pinball Bally/williams, Data East, Stern WhiteStar, Stern SAM and Virtual pinball (pinmame, future, etc...). And with version V2 of firmware, also support Gottlieb and Stern Spike (this firmware version require key activation, but only need pay 10 euros to firmware developer to activate it, then work forever with free updates)... “

Have u messaged @pinballsp ?

No, I didnt see that, thanks. I will drop him a line.

The colorization of Baywatch using Pin2dmd is now at working stage!
That means in detail that it’s working, only a very few scenes are missing to be colorized.
So we can say that this is the very first complete full color dmd for a large Sega game.

Lucky1 is working on Batman Forever afaik.
I will start working on Frankenstein very soon...

Greetings,
Dom

Looks like a race is on between Pin2DMD and ColourDMD. It’s all about the Baywatch... ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Having used the following displays:
1 - Normal DMD
2 - Pin2DMD In a real and visual pinball
3 - Colordmd LCD (screen)
4 - The new PinballSP display (like pin2dmd but different software).
5 - Colordmd LED version
6 - LED DMD (like the new sterns)

Here are my personal opinions - and remember - that is all they are:
1 - Would not spend £200 on a replacement one these days. Do the job fine.
2 - Yes - not bad - but getting some games to run on a real pinball takes some work, you may have to update the rom (like with family guy). Nice display. Does work fine. These look good in newer STERN games without messing with any programming.
3 - My current favourite. Love the hi-res mode. This is where my money goes.
4 - Seems okay but the software is not that good yet. He seems to get distracted easy on different projects.
5 - Virtually the same as Pin2DMD, however coloring is better. BUT nearly double the price.
6 - Dont like these. The 8x8 clusters seem to differ in colour/brightness.

The displays from china that is used in displays 2 and 4 for definite (and maybe 5) are very fragile. I have seen a lot of LEDs fail and even fall off out of the packaging. It does differ from seller to seller but they are delicate units. I have bought 4 of the Pinballsp displays (pin2dmd and his firmware) and not one of them now has all the pixels working. If you go for this route put a pit of clear perspex on the top.

BEST VALUE FOR MONEY - Pin2DMD (approx £200 built plus a 10 euro donation to get firmware registered).

BEST DISPLAY - ColorDMD LCD. Need to grab a couple soon as the one I am using is on loan to me.

Is £370 the going rate for ColorDMD LCD then? Seems to only be one UK supplier.

Not many end up selling a colordmd - they either sell it in the machine or keep it for the next game.

But these days - a real plasma DMD is £200+

I would glady pay £275 for a used one. Are they any cheaper in the USA???

Yeah, I couldn't find any on eBay etc. As you say it's either something you'd put in a different pin or sell with it.

I assume there's no discount available with pinballdisplays.co.uk ? :)

Not many end up selling a colordmd - they either sell it in the machine or keep it for the next game.

But these days - a real plasma DMD is £200+

I would glady pay £275 for a used one. Are they any cheaper in the USA???

£276+shipping.

Cheaper to buy if you are there and bring back (you are allowed to bring back up to £390 worth of goods each)... not really worth it if you are buying in the USA to ship back as you get stung for vat plus Royal Mail “tax” and the extra shipping..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Is £370 the going rate for ColorDMD LCD then? Seems to only be one UK supplier.
And slightly more if you’ve got a newer Stern metal backbox with red display shield that needs swapping out. They are definitely not cheap, but once bought tend to hang around - like PDI glass.

This is for a Tron, so don't think that applies.

Just costed it up on shop.colordmd.com and at todays exchange rate, with PayPal, it's circa £310 + shipping. Not a massive saving all things considered.

Got a friend going to the States in a month but I can't wait that long :D

Is there any value in a stock Stern DMD? What do people do with them afterwards?

Yes mate, as long as no blocks or pixels are out - I reckon you will get £80-100. I have sold them with a couple of pixels out for about £60.

They can be made to work in most pinballs as they are 5v only so can be converted to work in bally/williams WPC WPC95 games.

BUT - I would keep it - so if you sell the game on, you can keep the colordmd.

I don't have the room for more than probably one more pin, which *has* to be TAF. To be honest I'd be more likely to sell the ColorDMD with the pin to make it more appealing. Don't suppose it adds ~£370 value to the selling price though.

Thanks for letting me know about the going rate. Good to know. :)

Dont forget you can re-flash any of the colordmd.com products to another machine.... It is just done with a memory stick!

The colordmd/plasma dmd is a long standing debate. Not all pinball players like these displays. It is personal choice.

I see people listing games (like chrisb) with two prices. One with and one without a colour display.

Personally I used to hate them, then I saw them upscale and was then blown away......

Anyone from Flipout (@Nickoss II ?) tell me which one was in their MM that one stuck in my mind for some reason as being the crispest on show, but could be just me...

Dont forget you can re-flash any of the colordmd.com products to another machine.... It is just done with a memory stick!

The colordmd/plasma dmd is a long standing debate. Not all pinball players like these displays. It is personal choice.

I see people listing games (like chrisb) with two prices. One with and one without a colour display.

Personally I used to hate them, then I saw them upscale and was then blown away......

When you "upscale" - what do you mean by this? Is this a standard setting?

O
When you "upscale" - what do you mean by this? Is this a standard setting?

on the LCD display yes - google DotsXL.

I think the people that prefer yellow plasma DMDs are much fewer than those who like the colour. All of my games have colour although I go LED as I think when set up correctly (brightness/contrast etc) it looks better (with LED you can’t upscale).

Totally agree @Neil McRae - that MM and Flipout had me like :eek::eek::eek::eek:

Then when I saw it up and running in detail at @Justin 's - knew i had to have one.

Now sold my DMD, and emailed Sean trying to source a UK one

Totally agree @Neil McRae - that MM and Flipout had me like :eek::eek::eek::eek:

Then when I saw it up and running in detail at @Justin 's - knew i had to have one.

Now sold my DMD, and emailed Sean trying to source a UK one

Just order it on his website? Pinball displays.co.uk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I really want to get a LED colorDMD for my JP but with VAT, delivery and power tap the price is £391.20... ouch. It's going to have to wait.

Back
Top Bottom