What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

colordmd vs pin2dmd

strongs

Site Supporter
Anyone know the differences? I’m considering replacing my standard display for one of these but I have no idea what the main differences between them are.

I know that I prefer the colordmd LED version over the original LCD version.

So pros / cons / differences colordmd vs pin2dmd please!

Thanks

I just built my own pin2dmd, took a while to get it all running properly and was a bit of a learning curve but does look good now. Colouring the animations is a long job so getting a good coloured animation is hard unless someone else has done one for your machine, otherwise it's a basic 4 colour pallet.

The main reason I built one was that it cost me just over £100 in parts compared to the £300+ of a colorDMD.

If u want plug and play colorDMD is the way to go. If you want a project/cheap pin2dmd is a great option. I have a load of pin2dmd parts left if you were interested in building one :)
Loz

I just built my own pin2dmd, took a while to get it all running properly and was a bit of a learning curve but does look good now. Colouring the animations is a long job so getting a good coloured animation is hard unless someone else has done one for your machine, otherwise it's a basic 4 colour pallet.

The main reason I built one was that it cost me just over £100 in parts compared to the £300+ of a colorDMD.

If u want plug and play colorDMD is the way to go. If you want a project/cheap pin2dmd is a great option. I have a load of pin2dmd parts left if you were interested in building one :)
Loz

Im probably going to go down the pin2dmd road as im cheap. Where did you get your panels from as last time i looked into this the industry was going through a shift and the square panels were no longer made of two sections ?

compared to the £300+ of a colorDMD.
They're almost £400! Especially for newer metal backbox Sterns, thanks to the additional mounting kit required.

I'll only use the LCD ColorDMD - plug and play, versatile, supported. I don't have enough free time to consider the other options.

They're almost £400! Especially for newer metal backbox Sterns, thanks to the additional mounting kit required.

I'll only use the LCD ColorDMD - plug and play, versatile, supported. I don't have enough free time to consider the other options.
I'm pretty much in the same boat. I can't be ****d dealing with replacing something that works with something that doesn't unless I put a load of effort in. Having said that ColorDMD is at the top end of what I feel is acceptable for a plug and play solution.

Prive vs convenience really. A colorDMD will set you back just shy of £400 by the time you also factor in delivery. It's on my wishlist.... but cannot justify the cost right now. There's still a lot of other repair and restoration to do on my JP before shelling out that sort of cash.

Im probably going to go down the pin2dmd road as im cheap. Where did you get your panels from as last time i looked into this the industry was going through a shift and the square panels were no longer made of two sections ?

i got 2 of these ones the are separate 32X64 so together they work. I couldn't find and square ones these 2 panels work out slightly more expensive but worked for me

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Low...486.html?spm=2114.13010708.0.0.3a994c4dNH1EZI

loz

ColorDMD anything else is ****e and you are better off staying with the monochrome DMD.

The ColorDMD LED ones are fantastic and cheaper too and are Plug and play!

Neil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Back
Top Bottom