What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Collecting a Lethal Weapon 3...

SteffParry

Registered
Hello guys,

I'm picking up a Lethal Weapon 3 this weekend and I wondered if anyone could point me in the direction of instructions on removing the backbox completely from the rest of the cabinet?

I've been a firm Williams/Bally man until now and have therefore accepted the impracticality of doing so on these manufacturers machines but I hear that this is more easily done on the Data East beasts?

I suppose the main reason for wanting to know is because I'd like to fit this into my 61 (2012) reg Focus hatchback. Never dared with a Williams/Bally but could it be done with LW3 with the head off? Would be great to not hire a van for once!

All help appreciated...

Not sure how you do this, I wouldn't even consider on a Bally/ Williams, and it's only ever led to damage when I've done it on Sterns. It's only about £20 to hire a small van from Enterprise you know? :)

Not sure how you do this, I wouldn't even consider on a Bally/ Williams, and it's only ever led to damage when I've done it on Sterns. It's only about £20 to hire a small van from Enterprise you know? :)

Thanks! Yes I know vans are inexpensive, I think it's more a matter of principle! Plus would make the journey down my hallways much easier!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: JT.
This is probably v similar to my HOOK, the backbox has a rota lock and also two bolts behind the DMD into captive nuts. The back box will then hinge forward, put protection on the glass and something like pipe foam along the top of the backbox. The hings are held by two coach bolts up into the BB and two into the side of the cabinet where they pivot. I've seen some people loosen the hinges so the BB can be flattened then slid forward to reduce headrooom.

Great thanks. What about wires and such connecting the BB to the playfield?

I don't know I've always moved mine folded, as advised above though loosening the hinges (4 carriage bolts up into bb) to push the folded BB towards the coin door reduces the height a bit so you may be lucky. If you really have to remove it just have to look at what cables comes up and is connected in the BB to the PCBs and remove. Take photos to reverse later!

I'll have to come over for a game - my HOOK is always advertising LW3 on the DMD attract mode.

Thanks for the advice and you're welcome to come over and have a few games anytime!

This is probably v similar to my HOOK, the backbox has a rota lock and also two bolts behind the DMD into captive nuts. The back box will then hinge forward, put protection on the glass and something like pipe foam along the top of the backbox. The hings are held by two coach bolts up into the BB and two into the side of the cabinet where they pivot. I've seen some people loosen the hinges so the BB can be flattened then slid forward to reduce headrooom.

This is the part where damage can occur though - not worth the risk if the game has any value imo.

Cheers, do you know of a guide anywhere? Are connectors usually labelled?

Data East games are much easier than WPC as the wiring loom (pretty much) follows round to where each connector needs to go.

Each plug has a different pinout so should be easy to fit onto the right place - though from memory one of the plugs on the cpu board (cn12?) might have the same pinout as one of the PPB board connectors so mind out for that.....and it doesn't hurt to label all the plugs to avoid any doubt!

You can also take lots of pictures beforehand so you can compare it afterwards to check.

Disconnecting and reconnecting the backbox isn't a difficult job BUT it needs to be done with no mistakes, so do it slowly and methodically and don't turn the game back on until you're sure it's right!

Besides photos, also label the plugs with a permanent parker. You can devastate boards if you shove the wrong plugs in

I'll have to come over for a game - my HOOK is always advertising LW3 on the DMD attract mode.

I always disliked that on DE games, though it can be stopped. I think it's Lethal Weapon that has a trailer for Tales From The Crypt - which didn't appear as the next DE game, or in fact for quite a long time after L/W3.

Well I suppose in an arcade scenario it makes sense to plug your next game.

Thanks for all the good advice guys.

Hey Rowan. We put it back until this Sunday actually as my mate put his back out. Will be passing dangerously close to Ely actually, would be rude not to stop by the bar for a couple of games on ID4. Will you be about?

Top right on cpu has two similar connectors. Photos, labels are a must.
Double check with manual. Just done it with a Rocky & Bullwinkle (bought in bits) and now flies again.

Thanks for that. If it looks feasible then I'll do it but I have hired a small van in case I chicken out!

Hey Rowan. We put it back until this Sunday actually as my mate put his back out. Will be passing dangerously close to Ely actually, would be rude not to stop by the bar for a couple of games on ID4. Will you be about?

Yes, I'll be here. Definately call by for a few games. I've got Judge Dredd at the bar right now. ID4 is in my office at work in case I need some stress relief.

Will this really fit in a Focus hatchback? Even broken down I think you'd struggle to get the backbox in.

Please post photos if you manage, would be good to know! :)

Well if anyone is interested then I may as well have taken the Focus for all it mattered! I had to drive away with an empty van in the end and pull out of the sale as the machine was in much worse nick than described. Coin mech wouldn't work, DMD would go blank as soon as you entered the adjustments menu, so no way to actually play a game on it! A bit hard to judge how it plays in that case...

Cab in decent nick but missing a knock down target, others cracked, broken switch on the ramp entrance, no keys to back box (managed to jimmy it open and lots of sellotape and string holding it all together back there!).

Offered the chap less but he doesn't want to lose money on it (good luck as he paid over £900 for it...). So watch out for a relisted LW3 from Newmarket making its way onto Ebay again soon!

On a positive note the day was saved from being a total write off thanks to @rowansalger1973 who kindly treated us to a few games of Judge Dredd, Popeye and Jurassic Park! Thank you sir!

Ah well, will bear that in mind before engaging in any East Anglian adventures again! Cheers mate.

Was almost tempted to swing by Ipswich way whilst there and drop in on my mum but nah, she can wait until Christmas!

Back
Top Bottom