What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Coil strengths

Paul

Staff member
Alias
Toibs
Ok so i understand the basics.... say a 30-2000 means 2000 turns of 30AWG wire. However how to compare them in strength, and suitability?

I'm short of a 30-2000. However i have some 26-1200. Are they interchangeable? What's the difference in power?

There must be an easy way of working it out...!!! :)

It all boils down to resistance. Your 30-2000 is generally the sort of coil used on a bell or chime and has a resistance of around 45-50 Ohms. A 26-1200 (often used for knocker, kicker or slingshots, etc) will have a resistance of around 12 Ohms. These values all depend on the dimensions of the bobbin the wire is wrapped around, but I plugged in the same values for both calculations for an average coil bobbin of 20mm diameter and 50mm long.

Since the voltage isn't being changed replacing with a lower resistance coil will increase the power. In this case dropping from 45-50 down to ~12 could be too much. The solenoid could bang itself to pieces or fire the ball too hard causing damage.

Always best to get an exact replacement, or as close as possible, e.g., a Bally 31-2000 in this case might do the trick.

Back
Top Bottom