What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CMVS - 'Consolized' Neo-Geo MVS 2 SLOT project

myPinballs

Site Supporter
Alias
Jim
As titled, i have been working on a new side project for turning an MVS 2 slot arcade board into a consoled version. Something that i'm working on as time permits, but i have been gathering parts for the purpose of being able to play arcade quality Metal Slug on my TV. No space for a neo-geo upright system etc and no funds for a home neo-geo system with metal slug cart. Plus the emulators are not 'pure' in my mind!

So, this is where we are currently.

Uni Bios rom fitted. Now thinking about the best way to attack other tech stuff like Scart connection and power and then buttons to add to the case. (power on/off, test, credits etc) Handily these 2 slot arcade boards came with pad controller ports, so that part is sorted. bizarre but very handy. I am thinking possibly of making a nice scart connector and power in board unless there is a good one already out there.

Got my Metal Slug cart and info plastic. Going to attach the plastic to the case, but wondering whats best as in some future i may want to remove it without damage.

IMG_5774.JPG

Can you not use a super gun instead? I converted my SS2 into metal slug for the AES another way of doing it.

Be interesting to see what you come up with. :thumbs:

Can you not use a super gun instead? I converted my SS2 into metal slug for the AES another way of doing it.

Be interesting to see what you come up with. :thumbs:

Yeah, i guess i am thinking of creating a kind of super-gun for the hardware i have (mvs 2 slot). The ones i've seen before kind of stick out from the jamma port though so i want something thats internal i think or mounts neatly on top of the pcb with ports/connectors to the edge etc. Also i want to keep the 12v an option so i can still maintain the official scart spec. Some power mods i've seen say just run it from 5v only..

Yeah, the 12v line for powering the 'active' signal on the SCART cable is a massive bugbear, especially because the 12v essentially becomes totally needless on Neo Geo MVS once you delete the built-in amplifier. I'm currently planning to just leave it out and have to change channels manually, because that's all you need it for on the SCART spec. When I can be bothered making that work automatically, I'll decide whether I want to use a tiny buck converter for getting the very token 12v required off of the 5v supply, or if I replace my 5v supply for something that provides dual voltage. On pure cost alone the buck converter will win. I feel a little icky adding a buck converter just to avoid changing the channel, but that's versus generating 12v proper and adding all of the wiring required for it to literally just tickle a pin on a SCART connector.

Even if you don't want to jump the additional few steps to get rid of the 12v requirement, I recommend you noodle around on the board anyway to obtain stereo output. Your two-slot doesn't have it by default.

Power switch becomes super-easy if you're deleting the 12v, just wire up the 5V through a nice chunky power-switch. Power supply requirements really aren't that high for Neo Geo unless it's one of the behemoth 4 slot or 6 slot jobbies. Any decent rocker will do. Of course if you're keeping both voltages then you're looking at a more complicated switch (DPST at a bare minimum, with ground always connected?) or having a mains-level power inlet on your case.

For insert plastics, I haven't worked that out for myself but I am strongly tempted to add an area on the case where the card can be slid in, just for fun.

I'm currently wrapping up an MV-1FZ in a dinky wood box with what started at first as a supergun project but eventually I decided I wanted a consolisation of this thing instead - if I want a supergun later I will be building one very differently, sacrificing compactness for enough JAMMA space, and a power supply with, well, some really big balls so I have the option of Taito Type-X and Naomi boards later.
I'd like to say it's going well, and technically I suppose it is, but I have to be honest in saying that it's been an excuse to learn a bit of woodworking. The boxes I've made for the joysticks and the console itself so far have been ****ing dreadful!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom