What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cleaning translites - Novus 1 isn't really getting the finger prints off...

Monkeyboypaul

Site Supporter
Alias
Paul G
Currently cleaning the back of 2 grubby B/W translites, but Novus 1 isn't really getting the cruddy fingerprints off very well.

Do i ramp this up to Novus 2, or is there a better option for cleaning these things? Maybe fairly liquid or something?

Foam cleaner is good, leave to fizz for 5 mins. Or some jif lemon (very lightly agitate) for stubborn marks.
!!! Potentially bad advice - read on...

Tim

Last edited:
Excess cleaning may start taking the paint off. If it doesn’t come off with gentle cleaners then leave it.

Novus 2 is abrasive and will remove a layer.

Foam cleaner is a solvent. One use is usually ok, but prolonged use breaks down the paint.

Translites though Andy... they have the protective white diffuser on the back

I'm very wary about cleaning them after dissolving the white paint on one too.

I guess you just need to select something sensible and use it with care.

Water isnt going to shift grease and dirt, but strong solvents would be overkill - agreed.

Foam cleaner removes exactly the kind of dirt you're describing, as designed, but as Andy says he has first-hand experience of it removing more than you want!

Whatever you use, just be sensible and don't use too much muscle.

Tim

Noooooooooooooooooooooooo
Whatever you do, don’t use spray cleaner. Wiped the white backing clean off my TAF translite the other week doing that. Ruined.

Noooooooooooooooooooooooo
Whatever you do, don’t use spray cleaner. Wiped the white backing clean off my TAF translite the other week doing that. Ruined.
Wow. I have used normal windowlene type stuff on many translites. Cleaned the hell out of them and they have been fine.

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

Thanks for all the tips - think i'll stick with Novus 1 and some elbow grease! Maybe go find some Windowlene and use sparingly if we've got it...

RS may just have minor incandescent heat staining.
IMG_E0127.JPG

Last edited:
Turning them over... the TZ translite has a sort of film all over it - like a plastic protective film... So i had a look to see if it peels off. Seems it does! Not taken it any further yet..

IMG_0125.JPG

IMG_0124.JPG

That’s just the protective film you get when new mate

And the product which turned my TAF translite to ash was Maplin foaming spray cleaner. Sprayed it on left for about 5 seconds, wiped off all the white backing.

...the product which turned my TAF translite to ash was Maplin foaming spray cleaner. Sprayed it on left for about 5 seconds, wiped off all the white backing.

I use Servisol Foam Cleaner, honestly not had a problem like that but even so I've edited my answer above to warn of my bad advice!

Cheers,

Tim

Mine was TAF too, not completely ruined but left a nasty smudge. Gave up looking for a translite after a couple of years.

Luckily it was in the top right corner which isn’t lit well anyway so I may get away with it. I can’t test it yet

I filled mine back in with a sharpie, wasn’t too noticeable after.

I’ve always used Windoline and a soft cloth, never had any issues and cleans up the crud really well! Definately would avoid Novus 2 unless you want a clear piece of plastic as a translite!

Back
Top Bottom