What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cleaning / Maintenance

Dave282

Site Supporter
First pinball currently inbound :excited but want to keep it playing and looking as good as possible.
There's 2 ways I guess
1. Don't use it
2. Look after it and give it the care it needs

As 1 is not a plan that I'm keen on what's the opinion on how often the glass comes off and get stuck into cleaning, with the right products of course.
Should it be like some treat a new car and clean every week or just when it starts to show some tracks where the ball travels the most? Every 100 / 500 / 1000 plays?
Obviously if it's broken fix it but adjustments, rubber replacement every so many games?
Or is every one different depending on age / use etc?

Make sure the subway ramps are clean otherwise you'll need to clean top side more frequently.

Cleaning cycle will be in months not weeks Dave.

You may observe the ball travelling slower before any ball trails appear that may prompt you to get out the wax.

I'd recommend a good quality Carnuba Wax over Millwax, Millwax gets everywhere and leaves visible residue on star posts, drop targes etc. and its a mare to clean up

A nice dirty playfield slows the game play down and makes it slightly easier to play as intended by the designers as I was told years ago . Now if you you are holding a League meet , then polish the crap out of it which will keep the scores low 😉 . Personal yes keep it clean ish , just play it and enjoy it first !!

Hi guys- what’s the best thing to clean steel ramps and VUK ramps with? Some ball trail marks on my WPT are a bit stubborn and I don’t want to damage it. Cheers

Anything similar to Autosol okay to use? Had a rummage through the garage and have some Brasso and Bar Keepers friend

On a very much related note - which cleaning products / brand of wax are people using at the moment? Any recommendations?

Mothers pure Carnuba- bit tricky to get soft but has brightened up my playfield and got the game playing super fast around the orbits

The tin foil method is great, I use Diet Coke with it. Best wear gloves if you don’t want black fingers for weeks. Don’t think I’ll be alright, that’s what i did and was about 3 weeks before they cleared up, just looked grubby for ages

So didn't take very long to get to cleaning stage.
Not as labour intensive as imagined, great results with PC cleaning spay foam and Meguiars gold carnauba plus paste wax.
Amazing the difference in game play between the before and after.

Tin foil method is also brilliant on BBQ grills...

Back
Top Bottom