What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Classified discussions - Yes or No?

Should Site Classifieds keep a "discussion" field, or remove it altogether?

• Yes- Keep the discussion part and put up with any comments on Price discussions

Votes: 151 91.5%
  • No - Remove the discussion part and force all discussions Via PM

Votes: 14 8.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
BTDK prices seem to be all over the place. I paid 3.6k for mine, couldnā€™t believe it when I saw that one for just 2kšŸ˜± so who knows what that pin is worth now?

I quite enjoy the current level of illegal drivel splattered across the for sale threads, but what's it going to be like once sanctioned o_O

Illegal drivel? Not quite following this.

Is it illegal to comment on a sale or are you referring to sellers making misleading statements?

I honestly have no idea how the law stands with 2nd hand sales and dodgy descriptions. Is it the same as with selling new goods? Or are we in a total world of buyer beware?

Also it occurred to me that previously as a seller Iā€™ve been contacted by a 3rd party about a potential buyer who had expressed an interest in a game but who then tries to avoid payment. That in itself is a strong argument for the comments section.

No biggy, just referring to my understanding of current forum rules

No biggy, just referring to my understanding of current forum rules

So Iā€™m sure I could get a solicitor to knock up something to legally tie everyone in and then rule as per those restrictions? Is that what people would like? Every single sale moderated before it appears?

I can do that right now if thatā€™s what people would like.

Ahh. I thought we might all be living outside of the law in a state of pinball anarchy trying to bring down the man by misdescribing mint HUO machines

So Iā€™m sure I could get a solicitor to knock up something to legally tie everyone in and then rule as per those restrictions? Is that what people would like? Every single sale moderated before it appears?

I can do that right now if thatā€™s what people would like.
Thatā€™d give mods an early opportunity to snap up any bargains, which I donā€™t have any personal beef with to be honest.

More thatā€™d it could get messy pursuing someone if they breach the ā€˜contractā€™.

Thatā€™d give mods an early opportunity to snap up any bargains, which I donā€™t have any personal beef with to be honest.

More thatā€™d it could get messy pursuing someone if they breach the ā€˜contractā€™.
Every single person would need to legally sign to say that they certify their description is 100% accurate.
I would rather just close the sales section if this was the case. Completely unworkable, and a legal minefield.

Just stick sold as seen on it and all bets are off.

ā€œSold as seenā€

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

@Paul - isnt the most sensible thing to do is LEAVE IT AS IT IS! It works fine. Maybe one add in 100 is problematic. In that case the site ops should delete the thread or close it, or remove offending articles.

The PinballBaz thing is just a flash in the pan - he was in and out the forum in a couple of days.

A game is worth the amount someone wants to pay for it !

Flipping a game is not illegal, but we know on here 'its not the done thing'.

We have an ebay/gumtree thread that people can always say 'thats my old one - robbing git has added Ā£2K on it'

Just my two cents mate !

@Paul - ready for any more valves???? :)

@Paul - isnt the most sensible thing to do is LEAVE IT AS IT IS! It works fine. Maybe one add in 100 is problematic. In that case the site ops should delete the thread or close it, or remove offending articles.

The PinballBaz thing is just a flash in the pan - he was in and out the forum in a couple of days.

A game is worth the amount someone wants to pay for it !

Flipping a game is not illegal, but we know on here 'its not the done thing'.

We have an ebay/gumtree thread that people can always say 'thats my old one - robbing git has added Ā£2K on it'

Just my two cents mate !

@Paul - ready for any more valves???? :)

So - first thing is that I watered to gauge thoughts and feelings for where we should go on this - and with the poll currently 92% vs 7% then that tells me what I need to know as to the way forwards.

Secondly, Iā€™ve wanted to revamp the classifieds for some time to give them a little more format. This just makes things a little more organized from a user perspective. No major changes as people donā€™t like change - promise!

Havenā€™t dug in too much on the valves yet - however always good for some more!! šŸ‘šŸ»

Okay @Paul - the only thing I would pick up is the parts need to be listed in the parts section! Also maybe a 'SOLD PAYMENT PENDING' option on the title would be good too.

I will see you in a couple of weeks then mate for more valves. Mainly 12ax7 and a few power tubes. Do you use valve rectifiers.

Maybe I should just PM you... :)

Just seen an advert for car gurus

Can't see it really working for pins but it's a good idea. Shows how long it's been up for sale and if its advertised at a good, fair or over priced.

As a relative newbie, I'm happy with the current state of the classified.
I'm sure there is some back slapping going on with some of the posts, but so be it.
I have no idea of the price of most games and the only way to gauge that is look through the forum for previous sales. This gives you a rough idea. But what I really struggle with is knowing the condition of the pin and what to look for in the photos. I guess this will only come in time and hopefully by not wasting too much money.
The good thing about here is that people seem to be genuine, so that shouldn't really be an issue.
The only issue I have with the current system is the amount of posts that don't get changed to say SOLD or PENDING PAYMENT.
It would be nice if you could filter by FOR SALE to save searching through. Or is that something you can do already?

My 2 pence on this topic now I have some time.
Take the last machine I was looking at the walking dead le .Good machine looks fine price fine yet over 2 pages to to sift through and about stuff that should not be on a sales add I don't care for prodigy or links to them. The same thread saying twd is going to drop because the show tanked and buy a iron maiden lol wtf that's not price policing thats stocks and shares.
It's only one of loads of useless comments I think if you put a for sale add up and pics are fine and it's described right then is up to the buyer to ask in the how much is it worth thread or do some research on prices and not destroy someone's sale and it is the same few doing it .the fix for that is a warning them when they post and a 3warning gets you a short ban followed by goodbye ban.
A lot of threads go off topic very quickly, with just 1 comment starting it all. This TWD and Prodigy being a fine example, or the Rolling Stones for sale thread which spawned this whole topic.
That IMO is the biggest downside of commenting on For Sale threads - however if the seller makes a complete, descriptive post with good pictures that will limit the number of questions people feel the need to ask.

It's a tricky one.

I have 2 bugbears

Firstly - members with no horse in the race throwing in their price opinion based on their personal dislike of a title. We all like different games, different people will pay different prices for a particular title - it is their choice. We all enjoy voicing our opinions, just don't do it on other members sale threads.

Secondly - once a price discussion starts it can very quickly spiral to all sorts of off topic nonsense. Annoying for the seller.

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk
Agree both counts Paul. I think it should be just general politeness to not suck ones teeth or slate anotherā€™s add or talk too long on the add. I think we all have a duty of care to not do this and remind others off bad manners when they do it. I think pretty much what it is today.

Is there a forum definition of when to use the Report button?

I assume that button escalates the post to an administrator.

Never used it myself, but it could save a few extra pointless & unhelpful comments in a For Sale thread by simply reporting bad practices.

Is there a forum definition of when to use the Report button?

I assume that button escalates the post to an administrator.

Never used it myself, but it could save a few extra pointless & unhelpful comments in a For Sale thread by simply reporting bad practices.
what if i report my own post?

Why on earth would you want to report your own post??? :D

Yes, theres no specific instructions on the "report" button. Each alerts the Admins to the post, and we will take a look. Some instances are just because people dont like something - this button is designed to be there if we need to be alerted to anything, ranging from personal attacks to spam...

ok - on a personal level, It does get me when a Ā£2k pin ends up for sale at Ā£3k. Luckilly we dont see too much on here around that, however i do have to bite my tongue sometimes.

Suggestion - If you want to sell a Ā£2k pin at Ā£3k - at least make the effort to illustrate WHY it's worth the money. That way people dont get on your back :)

And yes, sorry but i dislike Flippers and also business that buy under the radar for Ā£3k here to sell on their website at Ā£5k... However i respect enough that it's my personal feelings and not the way that everyone thinks..

I think it should just be left to the op if he wants their sale post to be locked etc.
As you say, it's very few and far on these types of posts.
As for flippers, unless they have big pockets, they can't sit with half a dozen pins that will never sell. Especially since most of these folk are fly by night jokers trying to make a quick buck.

In terms of newbies, I don't see a newbie being put of buy comments regarding remakes or different examples. As you are obviously a nutter if you plan on spending 6k on a toy without doing any research or background information on them. If you don't, then you only have yourself to blame for being a wealthy w##ker with no sense.

I think the general age of this group is 'mature' so the thought of policing people is a tad ridiculous. The admins have made this the best forum I am a member off.
When you compare this to Pinside. This is Sunday school songs with Alid Jones.
Pinside is like a Ozzy concert in the 70's.

It does have the potential to be very dramatic like Pinside. Thankfully it isnt though.
However we did get an Honourable mention in the TWIP awards (thanks to those that voted for us!), but due to the fact that we are non-dramatic and a million times smaller, we were never going to reach those heights anyhow :D

Back
Top Bottom