What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Classified discussions - Yes or No?

Should Site Classifieds keep a "discussion" field, or remove it altogether?

• Yes- Keep the discussion part and put up with any comments on Price discussions

Votes: 151 91.5%
  • No - Remove the discussion part and force all discussions Via PM

Votes: 14 8.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Other suggestion regarding for sale threads

Make it that users can only post a For Sale thread after becoming 'verified'. That could be no. of posts, length of time as a member.

Another option, although it may be too much work for the mods:
All for sale posts need authorising before they become public.

I'm not suggesting that mods price police, but they could be checking :
a) a price is actually posted - rather than some kind of fishing for best price
b i) genuine pictures are included, rather than a link such as "here's the thread when I bought it",
b ii) and should include various 'compulsory pics' such as under playfield, inside backbox, side art, etc.
c) the user is a genuine user, with a history. Not just a new user who's only post is a for sale thread.

Wayne,

Good points (as always).

just some comments on these :

Make it that users can only post a For Sale thread after becoming 'verified'. That could be no. of posts, length of time as a member.

Already do-able, and when this goes live I'll implement either this or having to be a "site supporter" to be able to post - will take a look at current posts to decide (or maybe one or the other or both!).

a) a price is actually posted - rather than some kind of fishing for best price

Price will be Mandatory. Doesnt stop people putting £20K for a TAF, however i would expect the community to "moderate" this one :D

b i) genuine pictures are included, rather than a link such as "here's the thread when I bought it",

Yes - Will be actual pictures and not a link.

b ii) and should include various 'compulsory pics' such as under playfield, inside backbox, side art, etc.

almost impossible to enforce if i'm honest, and would mean that every single post would have to be moderated. Plus - who is to say that a pic is acceptable... ?

c) the user is a genuine user, with a history. Not just a new user who's only post is a for sale thread.

Kind of covered under the "verified" bit above.. :) But yes this Will be the case.

Be vigilante for targeted Facebook ads trying to change your mind, or suggesting you email your local forum admin with threatening language forcing him/her/he-she to make the ‘right’ choice.

Last edited:
Personally I like it as it is. There's enough mods and clued up peeps to self police and thats kinda the fun of being a bunch of grown ups isn't it! The odd handbags here and there is natural given the diverse buch of numpties we are, it's never life threatening and the real w***ers eventually bugger off, who remembers Abaxus or whatever his name was?! Now he was a total tool!!

hey-you-yeah-you-youre-awesome-keep-it-up-db455.png

Personally I like it as it is. There's enough mods and clued up peeps to self police and thats kinda the fun of being a bunch of grown ups isn't it! The odd handbags here and there is natural given the diverse buch of numpties we are, it's never life threatening and the real w***ers eventually bugger off, who remembers Abaxus or whatever his name was?! Now he was a total tool!!

View attachment 82762

Yeah - we have only really had a couple of total tools on here over the years ... luckily I haven't been found out yet 😄

I think in some ways a spiralling discussion actually helps the seller in some ways - at least their sale post is always at the top of the 'Whats new' section - and that is my most used page of the site. Free bumps!

.. which is also the name of my strip club.

I tend to agree with @J.C.Rox . I don't feel the system is broken. I find it works well. Most of the for sale threads are free of discussion on the price. It is only the for sale threads that are way off that trigger a discussion on the price. And in my head, they need to be highlighted to warn off others. So it works. Period.

Doubt it - he's banned :D
I know, hence why I chose him. I did have other names in mind of people who would prefer it if you couldn't comment on their For Sale ads, but decided not to throw oil on the fire.

Bought my Sega Daytona 2 topper off Baz the other day via ebay

I was about to suggest (As @WayneJ did) of having way of verifying the account isn't a 1 post wonder.

This is to mostly to protect the newer buyers who don't have an accurate feel for the prices, most of the people who have been on a while know what the going rate is for something and will either buy it or roll their eyes at the price and not, chances are they may well know the seller too

To that end maybe a seller reputation system might be an idea, basically number of sales completed and a basic +/- rating based off the feedback

How feasible that is from a technical and administrative standpoint is a different question though, and even if it was possible would require people to actually use it of course....

Just a thought! :hmm:

To that end maybe a seller reputation system might be an idea, basically number of sales completed and a basic +/- rating based off the feedback

How feasible that is from a technical and administrative standpoint is a different question though, and even if it was possible would require people to actually use it of course....

Just a thought! :hmm:

Damn ...my honest seller days at bottom dollar prices are behind me, going forward I was planning to royally shaft all buyers :D. So - with that in mind.... I'm out ! ;)

As a guy who's been frequenting the site for around 3+ years now, I now know there's plenty of genuine pin lovers on here who I would trust as in regarding genuine market prices, but if politely questioning somebody's price when it's had a quick flip for personal gain wasn't allowed many people are going to feel pretty annoyed if they've paid over the odds and vent their anger through threads which causes bad feeling in the long term and possible forum damage by doing so........
Polite comments & questions are acceptable. :thumbs:

BB

I completely agree with @Wayne J 's point that only verified sellers should be able to list stuff on here.

eBay is a sewer these days, and the high standards of this forum ought to be maintained.

Personally, I hate stupidly priced for sale ads. They hang around for months like a bad smell. I actually looked at the 100 most expensive UK based pinball machines listed on Ebay the other day. There was only one, yes you read that correctly, just one machine that had received a single bid. A demo man was stood at around £1,500. The rest were grossly overpriced and/ or mis-categorised.

If an ad has been on here for too long and/ or it is grossly mis-priced it deserves to receive comments.

Regarding photos, please for the love of God make some clear instructions on how to add photos, there's not a day goes by someone doesn't create a for sale post with multiple copies of the same photo, some posts have had every photo 3 or 4 times, **** knows how :rofl:

I can see both sides of the argument although few of the other forums I frequent allow price discussions, rightly or wrongly.

How about having a system where others can select one of three options on the original for sale post for 'Expensive', 'Cheap/Bargain' or 'Priced just right' (or whatever wording is appropriate) and then not allowing price discussions? This would allow everyone to see what the general feeling of the community is with regard to pricing without it descending into chaos. :)

How about having a system where others can select one of three options on the original for sale post for 'Expensive', 'Cheap/Bargain' or 'Priced just right' (or whatever wording is appropriate)

That seems like a really good idea. An anonymous poll on each for sale thread with those options would allow easy feedback, be useful for newbies, and broadly discourage the short "bargain" posts (as people could just vote instead)

I'd still allow discussion though, as this might allow for questions like 'what's the credit dot for' or whatever people notice

Ok chaps - that’s cool - however unless someone has around a grand available (minimum) for custom development then unfortunately it won’t happen :(

As a new member who has bought 2 machines from the forum.
I feel that as a place to purchase a machine I would be interested in the discussion and comments as it helps make an informed decision for a novice like myself.
As for Ebay I feel its going in blind and would like to think if I bought from this site then not many negative comments would be a good thing.
And if anyone wants to sell a Mick on a Stick to a stones fan then PM me lol.

I'd like for sale threads to be lockable as I hate to see people chipping in with their take on things (look how my MB thread got shafted). I do think there should be a buyer aware thread outside of this for sale thread tho where people can comment and expose rats like Baz.

Back
Top Bottom