What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cheap playfield rotisserie

Mfresh

Site Supporter
Alias
Paul
I've been looking for a playfield rotisserie, and saw Marco do a nice one - trouble is that it's about $500 landed here.

I've got a mitre saw stand which I use to hold a playfield, but the trouble is it doesn't rotate:

IMG_4487.jpg

Then I found an excellent YouTube video which shows how to convert a stand like this. (You can get one from Aldi or Screwfix etc for about £65).
All you need is some 30mm square steel box section (£8), some angle bracket (£7), and a couple of swivels - these are the most expensive part at £13.99 each. These are identical parts to those used in the video, so total cost about £45

The conversion takes about half an hour, and you end up with a perfect rotiserrie, adjustable height to work comfortably at, adjustable length to accomodate any playfield, and rotates nice and smoothly and slowly:

IMG_4657.jpg

IMG_4660.jpg

All you need to is drill some holes in the square box steel and bolt on the swivels, and then bolt the angle bracket to the other side. The mitre saw stand has receivers that take this contraption at both ends, and there you have it. Easy peasy.
IMG_4651.jpg

Here's the video:

And here's a link to a suitable mitre saw stand: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Scheppach-...re-Stand/dp/B01G7XMHBS/ref=asc_df_B01G7XMHBS/
This mitre stand is even cheaper at £57 https://smile.amazon.co.uk/Universa...DNNSP/ref=pd_lutyp_im_2_2/257-7166381-7234854
and the swivels: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01MQDQHOJ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s01

Last edited:
Yeah I was tempted by the Marco one but there's a lot of shipping and tax, and also I guess you have to place it on a table or something? I like the mitre saw stand based one because it folds up and its easy to take outside if you want to do something like sand a playfield, and you don't need an outside table.

I have the final bits arriving next week to build the same thing. I will ask you questions if it all goes wrong.
The best bit is we will still have a fully working Mitre saw stand to use as I expect to rarely be building playfields.

Can you link me the dexion angle metal and box section you bought? My options were more expensive and I can still cancel them.

I've got a forge/steel stockholder just down the road so I just popped in there and they cut them and sold them to me. I did look at metalmania.com which is a good price but the postage more than doubles the price.

I got 30mm steel box which is 3mm thick and that works but it's not necessary to get 3mm. I would think 2mm would be cheaper and lighter and easily stong enough, and 1mm would probably be fine too. I thought about aluminium which might be even OK if its strong enough.

You need M6 screws for the Dexion, and washers too. I did wonder of they might shear under the weight of the playfield and all but they seem fine...

I will take another look locally, they seemed more focused on the construction industry but it is highly possible the smaller shops are just not bothered with being found on the internet.

And I was going to weld the bar stool swivel bracket to the dexion and box metal but bolts does mean I can take it apart.

I would think welding is a good idea. I can’t think why you would want to take those bits apart. The two whole assemblies can be removed from the saw stand and rotated so the bar and the bracket are aligned and that will take up almost no space at all.

I made the one with the mitre stand and swivels.
Works fine but don't forget 4 x G clamps to hold the playfield in if you want to work on the underside[emoji846]
I think I got the metalwork from Screwfix, mitre stand was a cheapy from Aldi and swivels off of EBay.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Ok. Welding blew the bearings, they are now very notchy. I spotted it after the first one so went super easy on the second one but the heat required for the metal was too much.

Back
Top Bottom