What's new

Changing sale trends?

I think the people who liked the theme(s) and were willing to spend 5k+ on a machine bought new ones in the first place, so the pool of people willing to pay that kind of money and yet don't already have one is very small.

Theres probably a bigger market for people swapping their new Sterns between each other for a bit of variety if thats the case though.

Times are achanging! I think the only NIB going forward that will hold it's value is Predator - a true LE and a good initial price. The more titles that are reproduced MMR, AFMR etc the more prices will fall. But this is normal in virtually all other hobbies so to be expected really.

The VAT-free price of a new AC/DC is £5162. So the operator market won't buy used at 5k when they can get a new one for a bit more. When the AC/DC is taken out of production, the whole market will have to buy used, so mint HUO will become more attractive and sought after.

Speaking for myself, I held back on the mint AC/DC because of the option that I can get a Star Trek NIB for less. Pro Sterns are now looking good value compared to the other manufacturers. I wonder how many who bought Star Trek Pro would have considered the AC/DC huo?

Chris's AC/DC has sold...so the 5k price tag couldn't have been far off, though I believe it was a trade that swung it.

I think the people who liked the theme(s) and were willing to spend 5k+ on a machine bought new ones in the first place, so the pool of people willing to pay that kind of money and yet don't already have one is very small.

Theres probably a bigger market for people swapping their new Sterns between each other for a bit of variety if thats the case though.

Interesting thoughts Rog. You're right, I'd love an ACDC but I wouldn't pay £5-6K new then so I still won't pay that second hand now. Same goes for Tron. I'd not pay over 4K for anything really except an MM or maybe a TOTAN. Apparently MB and AFM also fetch those numbers these days, but I already got those and plan to be buried with them

Yup it was a trade that swung the AC/DC sale:oops:

Probably wouldn't have bought at 5k but an easy trade with someone with a good reputation makes a lot of difference. I know it's a machine I like so I'll play it to death. Far more risk buying a new NIB on theme alone. By far and away though the most expensive machine I've ever bought. Only going back a few years I remember agonising about spending 2k on a LOTR. If I view it as only really costing whatever it depreciates by then it's far easier to justify.:confused:

Yep, 4.8k
More than I wanted to pay but less than he wanted to sell for.

Last edited:
Yes like john said the trade swung it and i am very happy with the deal and i am sure he will be too makes it dead easy to trade with a good group member
also traded the batman that goes to its new home on saturday i will be sorry to see that go really as it was my first ever nib but its been sat at another members house since the northern light show as has my tron le so it may aswell go wow the guy didnt keep the totan long fair price i think too

Ah congrats. Rock on :)
My first Stern...been window shopping for months but kept coming back to the DC.
If I view it as only really costing whatever it depreciates by then it's far easier to justify.
My thinking exactly....don't think it's going to go much lower personally. Let's face it playing pinball is much more fun than looking at a bank statement:D

Yep, 4.8k.
More than I wanted to pay but less than he wanted to sell for.

True, but it hurts a bit less knowing its going to a group member as opposed to eBay! AC/DC was my first NIB and I thought I'd prob lose 500-1000 when I went to sell it - did anticipate keeping it a bit longer though! Unfortunately none of my friends really got into it, bit too much strategy for the casual player. I only have room for two machines so no point in keeping one that only I play. Hope you enjoy it Mark, it's a great game for the home.

Thanks Guy, I look forward to it.

Sorry for taking the thread off topic again...

True, but it hurts a bit less knowing its going to a group member as opposed to eBay! AC/DC was my first NIB and I thought I'd prob lose 500-1000 when I went to sell it - did anticipate keeping it a bit longer though! Unfortunately none of my friends really got into it, bit too much strategy for the casual player. I only have room for two machines so no point in keeping one that only I play. Hope you enjoy it Mark, it's a great game for the home.
I really wanted to buy this - sent you a few emails, but space is too big an issue right now. With all the new games out this year, saturation, space issues will be a big problem!

Yup, I will have to let one go this year, got a feeling it will be the Creech as the rest are keepers, (if you know what I mean )

Back
Top Bottom