What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Found it! Centaur

well done on finding one,i'd like one too oneday when I have the space,trouble is something would have to go first to make room

Thanks all... I'm bloomin' buzzing and about to start doing a full set of pics so I can retrace any mishaps with stuff not going back as it should :cuckoo:

Sound board will be getting a full reflow and cap change over the weekend... it's a start and at least I won't have too many grazed knuckles covered in oil with this new passion :eek:

Sound board will be getting a full reflow and cap change over the weekend... it's a start and at least I won't have too many grazed knuckles covered in oil with this new passion :eek:

Check your voltages first and the condition of your Speech chip as well as your other digital electronics (cpu, ram, rom, pia). All the new caps in the world won't fix a dead speech generator or non booting board.

4 flashes for centaur on the board first before you do anything else..

Check your voltages first and the condition of your Speech chip as well as your other digital electronics (cpu, ram, rom, pia). All the new caps in the world won't fix a dead speech generator or non booting board.

4 flashes for centaur on the board first before you do anything else..

Many thanks, I'll do a full reccy later... I'm just allowing for it to setting a bit in a different temperature and humidity. pinballs are a strange new beast to me but I'm not too bad on logical fault finding as I spent about 30 years installing and servicing large scale electronic security systems... in fact I fitted the alarm in your local Wickes many moons ago when they first built it... :) All that said, I do humbly appreciate any help and advice you guys kindly offer :thumbs:

have you got to swap every component off your exsisting playfield to the new one,or is that already populated?

Nice one Ruk. Great machine. Look forward to seeing it transform. And if you get well and truly snookered on the S&T board @myPinballs does a new replacement

Yep, and i make replacement echo/reverb boards for them to. They work with my new boards (any game) or with original boards, with a couple of changes. @Poibug got one for his centaur just before christmas.

Yep, and i make replacement echo/reverb boards for them to. They work with my new boards (any game) or with original boards, with a couple of changes. @poibug got one for his centaur just before christmas.

I've just ordered a couple of PIA chips off you Jim. I've done a detailed check through the board even with a jewellers loupe checking for breaks or shorts anywhere. Voltages seem fine but neither of the S&T PIA chips will boot my working MPU, I've got the Centaur to keep my brain and fingers somewhat occupied until the end of April and the bikes come back out of hibernation... if no joy by then, I will most certainly be buying your excellent boards... I just want to try the best I can at the moment to breath some life into it... I might need to start a thread in the Tech section this week :hmm:

I've just ordered a couple of PIA chips off you Jim. I've done a detailed check through the board even with a jewellers loupe checking for breaks or shorts anywhere. Voltages seem fine but neither of the S&T PIA chips will boot my working MPU, I've got the Centaur to keep my brain and fingers somewhat occupied until the end of April and the bikes come back out of hibernation... if no joy by then, I will most certainly be buying your excellent boards... I just want to try the best I can at the moment to breath some life into it... I might need to start a thread in the Tech section this week :hmm:

Those are in the post today for you :)

Those are in the post today for you :)

Sadly neither those nor a huge amount of board work has sorted this out. I can't determine if the TMS5200 chip is working correctly and as they are like rocking horse doo doo, I've hit a brick wall for now. I thought I was getting somewhere but it was false hope haha.. what I've done is here http://www.pinballinfo.com/community/threads/centaur-squawk-talk-help.35703/

Time to leave it for now and start the other work I reckon :confused:

If the speech chip works then the self test flashes. Often they are shot due to having silver legs that degrade and break off or an Internal failure. Texas scrapped silver legs and went back to tin shortly afterwards

Order a new board from me with nos speech chip included and forget about it. Lead time is 8 weeks at mo though

If the speech chip works then the self test flashes. Often they are shot due to having silver legs that degrade and break off or an Internal failure. Texas scrapped silver legs and went back to tin shortly afterwards

Order a new board from me with nos speech chip included and forget about it. Lead time is 8 weeks at mo though

Patience my good fellow... I come from an era of working on valves and live chassis on tellys and a stubborn belief you'll get the bugger working :thumbs: I've no doubt I'll treat myself to your board but I'm going to get my cabinet and playfield under way and see how things go." I'll be back".... Oh, wrong speech chip :p

Back
Top Bottom