What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Complete Centaur - Wreck of a project

Managed to get the main lamp driver board working 100%, 3 new SCR's and solder reflow the header pins has sorted out all the issues.

Also fixed my spare board - the IC's are socketed, and one of them had a bent pin! Straightened it and inserted it correctly and all is good.

However, the auxilliary lamp driver board has a big issue. It wont light any of the "Chamber Lights" - But it does light all the others - although these seem to be on too much? Looking at the schematic I can see the 4 chamber lamps are controlled across the 2 chips (one on each 1/2 of each chip), and they are all controlled off output number 3 - suggests the problem is therefore most likely to be the driving flip flop ic. - I guess its not flipping the output. Part MC14013B

I'll get one of those ordered.

Now, finally onto trying to get the playfield to sit properly. It looks like the left hand hinge bracket in the cabinet is too far forward, or the hinge on the pf is too far back. Both don't look like they have been messed with, so not sure why it is out so far. I then thought the cab might be skewed, but its square. It could be a factory error and maybe has always been a real tight fit. Anyhow I'll try moving the pf hinge forward 1/4" and see if that sorts it.

Now, finally onto trying to get the playfield to sit properly. It looks like the left hand hinge bracket in the cabinet is too far forward, or the hinge on the pf is too far back. Both don't look like they have been messed with, so not sure why it is out so far. I then thought the cab might be skewed, but its square. It could be a factory error and maybe has always been a real tight fit. Anyhow I'll try moving the pf hinge forward 1/4" and see if that sorts it.

Compare it with the other Centaur you have, swap playfields to see if it's the same...

Got the playfield positioning ok now. had to move one of the hinge brackets. it was a bit bent.

Now onto the sound card. it’s working but not as loud as it should be. I installed [mention]myPinballs [/mention] sound effects card and it’s very quiet. it’s not the sound effects board as that works perfectly in another machine.

So time to replace caps, and the noisy potentiometers

105a28f0d6c8363380dfe6b85e851004.jpg
011d88b2a2edafd2357793354135f82c.jpg

b5bb764ed8b9a6d99dbac6de2c526d21.jpg

Put it back in and now works perfectly.

Next to have a crack at repairing the aux lamp driver board. I’ve ordered a replacement by always nice to have a spare plus i want to see if my theory on what’s at fault is right.......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Getting there!
IMG_7302.jpeg
IMG_7303.jpeg

Nearing the end of this and I've learnt a few more lessons:
1. Don't bother with playfield overlays - a new playfield is preferable, if not available, then a hardtop - an overlay is the last resort.
2. Posts - make a note of which ones screw into the wood and which ones screw into a t-nut on the rear of the playfield - I didn't and when I came to re-assemble I got a few wrong and had to go back and figure them all out. - Would have been easier if I had a rotisserie, but I haven't.
3. Have a real good think about all the parts you need before putting in orders, if in doubt, order one anyway. I have spent a lot more on postage than I needed to.
4. Having spare lamp driver boards and CPU boards is really handy. As is score display boards.

Still got stuff to fit, like full flipper rebuild kits, new lockdown bar - should arrive tomorrow. New legs, bolts and levellers going on today.

Fabulous work Alan! It’s great to see the Bally ss classics getting the love they deserve, recently.
Good advice. We agree with the above sentiments. Having used a few hardtops they are an excellent option/opportunity, but nothing comes near to a new playfield 😍

Are you planning to keep this fella or sell him. (Just curious - even if you were looking to sell I have no space :( )

Maybe Elektra will be gone by the time you do come to sell one.. Ive had Centaur twice now, perhaps third times the charm

Back
Top Bottom