What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Complete Centaur - Nearly 10 years of Effort and Procrastination (mainly procrastination)

Martin Riley

Site Supporter
I bought a Centaur from the Heighwayman back around 2011. Initially only planned to remove the mylar and tidy it up so that it played nicely but got completely carried away and ended up gradually doing a full refurb.

I fitted a new playfield back in 2013 and took it to the Daventry show for a serious soak test which it generally passed with flying colours. If anyone remembers playing a Centaur with red LED displays, a very nice playfield and a shabby cabinet then this would be the one.

Many years of navel gazing followed until I finally gave myself a talking to and in 2019 completed the backbox re-stencil. Encouraged by the results and with a lockdown to assist, this years job was the main cab…

Inside of the cab wasn’t pretty. No structural water damage but plenty of rust to deal with.

1607366129924.png

1607366159027.png

The front and sides of the cab certainly had a few bruises.

1607366190620.png

1607366219011.png

After some sanding you can see the holes and circular imprints where a previous owner thought it a good idea to hammer in metal studs to “compliment” the artwork. Needless to say, these were removed not long after I got the machine. In my haste to remove them, I forgot to take a photo though so you’ll have to take my word for that they were truly awful!

1607366255728.png

The back had really been through the wars. Rusty gliders already binned.

1607366291798.png

After much filling and sanding and filling and sanding and filling and sanding etc. I finally got the cab ready to spray. Decided to stick with the satin black for the base coat as I’m not a fan of gloss base coats. First stencils applied…

1607366330215.png

For Centaur, you stencil the silver on the front first but the red on the sides. Went with a metallic silver and a gloss cherry red which I think looks rather good…

1607366358198.png

And then onto stage 2 – red on the front and silver on the sides.

1607366379574.png

1607366389842.png

Just the small matter of all those tired looking parts and wiring. I know it’s easier to send the metal parts off to be blasted and polished but having spent so long on the project, decided to do everything myself. There were a few moments where I questioned this decision, but the final results look good and nice to be able to say it was all my own work.

I installed a replacement speaker some time ago. It’s coaxial so far superior to the original and, rather handily, has identical fixing holes (albeit by good luck rather than clever planning on my part). Also replaced the horrible old line filter and varistor and used crimp terminals rather than solder for a much neater finish.

1607366429378.png

The coin door was a project in itself but again, the results make the hours of cleaning and re-assembly worth it. Particularly pleased with the replacement earth jumpers for the rusty and rather untidy looking Bally originals.

1607366450196.png

The side rails weren’t great but even if they had been, I’m not convinced I could have removed them without damaging them. I know some people on here have managed it though so kudos to them. The new side rails are stuck rather than nailed so although an expensive addition, they do look much neater.

1607366469180.png

For the back of the cab I decided to add some hardwood battens (in the same way they are on modern games) so that the gliders aren’t so close to the main body. Certainly an improvement on the original! You can also see the custom chrome vent I had made for the backbox. This hides the damaged original vent holes which so often get distorted on this era of games.

1607366486719.png

Although backbox related, I should give a shoutout to Jim @myPinballs who printed the replacement bulb shields. He even put up with me requesting custom sizes as the original shields are too small for the word “Warning”. If a job’s worth doing…

1607366514847.png

Bally sticker on the coin door is the final touch. For the purists out there, note the original factory door lock (also present on the backbox) and intact coin return flap.

1607366535082.png

Et voila. NB. There aren't actually any display digits out - this is just the camera picking up on the (relatively) slow refresh rate of these early solid state games.

Hopefully the next project won’t take quite so long!

1607366555163.png

Attachments

• 1607365890532.jpeg
    1607365890532.jpeg
    110.4 KB · Views: 17
Seriously impressive. I'm catching up on all these old games but, of those, I've seen this is the first that really makes me want to think about opening my wallet again.

Wow - Absolutely stunning result. Centaur is such a looker anyway but you've taken it to the next level. 🤜🤛

Very nice detailing. Out of curiosity, as I've got some resto work to do, how did you go about clean the wiring harnesses?

Absolutely amazing work mate. A labour of love but worth it when you see results like this. You must be really proud of it. I know I would be.

A piece of art, completed by an artist. The attention to detail is amazing. You should be very proud of that.

I remember this when it had the metal buttons nailed into it, I wondered how long it must have taken

Very nice detailing. Out of curiosity, as I've got some resto work to do, how did you go about clean the wiring harnesses?

Thank you kman. I used a sonic cleaner for some of the wiring harnesses but to be honest, I found it just as easy to use magic eraser and a decent multi-purpose cleaning fluid. This is especially effective near the connectors where the wires are often at their most dirty. Replacing all the old tie wraps is also essential (and cheap).

I used a sonic cleaner for some of the wiring harnesses but to be honest, I found it just as easy to use magic eraser and a decent multi-purpose cleaning fluid. This is especially effective near the connectors where the wires are often at their most dirty. Replacing all the old tie wraps is also essential (and cheap).
Thanks Martin. The sonic cleaner is a new idea but using a common household cleaner seems to be the popular choice..

A highly impressive undertaking and result.

One of the best looking pinball machines I've ever seen. Brilliant work.

Back
Top Bottom