What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Castors on the back of a pin?

Big Phil

Site Supporter
Alias
OTWBigPhil
Has anyone ever attempted putting castors on the back of a pin so it's easily wheeled around?

I tried some of these used for moving appliances and it keeps falling off.

i.ebayimg.com_images_i_191457574211_0_0_s_l140_p.jpg

ive had a few pins from operators with castors on the backbox but it didn't look right. only once had some legs with castors welded to the bottoms which I thought could be fun but again looked wrong. like those awful black seats electrocoin thought were a good idea in the 90s. I save the bottoms off scrap fruit machines with factory fitted castors. the base plate make a fun "skateboard" to put pins on to move around on a flat surface without being permanent.

It has been done by a UK operator in the past. I've come across a couple of machines with them fitted. I'm not convinced by them, I think it's a problem when trying to upright the machine on your own.

I have these on the back legs of my one remaining EM machine (Trail Drive). You do have to be careful when moving it not to pull the machine off the wheels. For an EM machine though I find it worth it as you always need to get in the backbox from the back and with these I can pull,it out from the wall and get at it. I'd be interested in knowing what diameter thread a single castor would need to have to be able to screw it in direct to a leg. I suspect the thread on the bottom of legs would be imperial while the thread on a modern castor would likely be metric?

ive had a few pins from operators with castors on the backbox but it didn't look right. only once had some legs with castors welded to the bottoms which I thought could be fun but again looked wrong. like those awful black seats electrocoin thought were a good idea in the 90s. I save the bottoms off scrap fruit machines with factory fitted castors. the base plate make a fun "skateboard" to put pins on to move around on a flat surface without being permanent.

I cut a piece on ply about 2 foot square and the fitted casters on , as soon as I made it ,I played being superman with the kids :D

as the bases of fruit machines are 26 inches then that's pretty damm close to what you've knocked up lol

I'd be interested in knowing what diameter thread a single castor would need to have to be able to screw it in direct to a leg.
On marco it says the leg levelers are 3/8-16 thread - there are a few casters with this thread on eBay in the US. It would make the machine a bit weird imho.

That stock pic of the casters made me notice they have a hole in the middle (which is covered by the brand sticker). This can be used to secure to the caster to the leg using the leg leveler itself which still rides above the floor. Can use an old set of legs to make a wheelie set to use when shopping out and they even stand up on their own :thumbs:

upload_2016-7-8_9-57-28.png
WP_20160708_09_31_15_Pro.jpg

That stock pic of the casters made me notice they have a hole in the middle (which is covered by the brand sticker). This can be used to secure to the caster to the leg using the leg leveler itself which still rides above the floor. Can use an old set of legs to make a wheelie set to use when shopping out and they even stand up on their own :thumbs:

Very clever!!

Just ordered a set (I know this is a very old post) but wondering if anyone has tried using these with the rubber feet floor savers? I'm guessing that would stop the feet falling off. You could even bolt a set of rubber feet floor savers onto these.

View attachment 32452
View attachment 32453
Good idea, like that...

Those castors may work better on a smooth floor but on carpet they dig with the small wheels and then tip over. I keep the fixed set on my current project and that wheels around ok as I work on it.

I've been on the lookout for one of the pinball seats for years!

I've been on the lookout for one of the pinball seats for years!

One went on eBay last year for about £20 from Warrington. I nearly had it but decided it was a bit rubbish actually. Standing on raised alluminium grips in your socks is probably not very comfy.

i1283.photobucket.com_albums_a545_shootingpigeons_DSC_0005_zpsdlqsk1ph.jpg

I got these on flea Bay. Took the metric bolt. Replaced with the right one. And then drilled and tapped a tiny grub screw for high adjustments.

20170401_160015.jpg
Mine have just arrived. Works well with the rubber floor savers placed on top. Definitely wouldn't try moving it without those on.

Back
Top Bottom