What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Car Bodywork Warranty - Help !!!! (please)

DRD

Registered
I own a 2011 VW California camper van, bought as a 3 month old demonstrator with delivery miles. These things have had innumerate problems with the aluminium pop top.

20201023_171550.jpg

20201023_173030.jpg

VW allowed the aluminium roof mech to touch the steel body of the van forming a little battery so the paint failed on the aluminium wedge at the front within months. This happened on literally every van produced.

VW then trained 4x UK paint shops to remove the entire roof mech, insert insulation (to keep the metals apart), put all back together. The waiting list for this was huge so mine was done in 2016.

To my horror, I spotted this steel corrosion which is infinitely more worrying (structural integrity) than aluminuim corrosion (purely cosmetic).

It had been corroding underneath this plastic trim for years.

VW Van Centre has told me that this is hard cheese.

The van came with a 12 year paint warranty with 3 years on everything else. VW Van Centre told me that the problem was due to the plastic trim failing, wobbling in the wind, and removing paint which then rusted. VW says that this was only covered for 3 years.

In terms or the authorised 2016 repair, VW say that had a one year guarantee only.

My paint shop has said that the paint was not properly dried or properly lacquered in 2016 and that caused the failure.

Repairing this properly could cost serious money so I am inclined to take this to the small claims court.

VW owners are in complete denial about the build quality of these things. A friend with a VW Phaeton had massive problems with the aluminium-steel battery issue too with paint bubbling on doors and boot.

At least the residuals on these Californias are rock solid. I could probably get around 75 per cent of what I paid for it despite it being 9 years old. Used and new prices have skyrocketed. All used ones have roof corrosion issues - though usually the aluminium and not the steel.

This thing has lived in a garage all its life and done below 60k miles so the paint has had an easy life.

Does anyone have any advice please?

Many thanks

Last edited:
Hi David,

They should never have made the Cali. Should have just stuck to transporters and left the conversions to a 3rd party.

No experience with what you mention but the T3 is similarly horrific. Roof opened up with a tin opener and then a plastic hightop just screwed on. Little lip on the underside pools water at the back and rots the body and rear door from the inside out. By the time you notice it's too late!

I have a friend who does modern refurbs of all conversions for a living. He also has (had?) a Cali, so may be a good person to chat with. I'll point him to this thread and ask if you could perhaps have a chat - I'm certain he'll know the situation you face well.

Also @Kilgore on here is an expert on the old buses for sure, maybe modern too, not sure.

Sounds like you already have enough evidence to claim against them, although you can imagine they've thought of that already and have an airtight rebut, given every owner must be in the same boat!

Good luck...

Tim

Reactions: DRD
The fact the paint has come away with the adhesive does imply it wasn’t properly cured when trim reattached , leading to it coming loose etc as they said, but this puts the issue back with them rather than a get out of jail card.

Similar widespread corrosion problem from Golf Mk V on front wings. There was some problem on internal cladding that caused it to touch the internal wing resulting in corrosion from inside out. Extended body work warranty is dealer backed who won't cover citing it a "mechanical" problem. They also conveniently missed the corrosion as it spread over successive dealer services whilst the warranty was still valid.

I think it's worth pursuing through small claims. It costs little or nothing apart from a bit of time - if nothing more you'll have the satisfaction of trying. I'd also be all over VW forums trying to find others with similar problems where they paid out to use as evidence to support the claim.

Sometimes the threat of small claims is enough to make them cough-up, about 2 hours before the hearing is due to start :rolleyes: It'd cost them more in hassle and man-hours to fight it tbh. Had a similar problem with Ford about 20 years ago - didn't have to go to small claims in the end, but was an unnecessary pita nevertheless.

the fact you bought it as a demonstrator from the dealer might have an impact on your ability to claim is the warranty transferable?

These things are hard to prove, just buy looking at your picture at the beginning edge of the trim where the rust is bubbling there is signs off rust spot in the middle I know what Another manufacture would say that you had a small stone chip and you left it untreated and water progress under the paint and cause it to rust. Chris B on here would probably know more has he used to work at Audi has a top technician ( sorry Chris for throwing you under the bus but what do you think)

Back
Top Bottom