What's new

Can anyone recommend a CNC router for cutting aluminium, brass and traffolyte?

AlanJ

Site Supporter
Alias
Alan
Hi, I am thinking of investing in a CNC machine to cut and engrave small face panels out of aluminium and traffolyte, maybe even brass. Looks like a rotating CNC machine is the best thing for this. I have no experience of these, so looking for recommendations please. Budgetwise, under £1k.

I have had a look on ebay and there are literally 100's of different makes, which is encouraging, yet a minefield I need to navigate, so anyone who has one, please chip in!

Thanks,

Alan

Just engrave or cut? A CNC engraver may be more what you're after. Most will work with a DXF but don't forget to check the software. 1k not much for a CNC mill and I don't have any experience in this end of the market. Software wise fusion has CNC coding built in.

Not a CnC thing but I kinda got into the same position buying a laser after seeing a mates cheap Chinese one that cost him £300.
I almost bought the very same one until I done my research and saw some of the nightmare problems a lot of the chinese crap threw up.
Mainly how bad the electrical safety of said machines that had literally burned down workshops and work sheds due to the cheap components and workmanship.
don’t get me wrong most stuff comes from China anyhow but if you go with a British reworked machine you will pay a lot more but at least you get piece of mind.
My little 300x200 laser has learned me the ropes and been a godsend and although 5 x the price of a chinese box of death has kept me safe and will recoup me a lot more when I trade up next month.
No one wants the worn out chinese crap.
so pay a little more out of eBay for something a little upmarket even if it’s second hand and if it’s not for you just sell it and recoupmost of your outlay.
Hope this helps Col

Thanks for that advice @Colywobbles . I am going to do a lot more research before I dive into this. It looks like most of the cheaper end wont cut or engrave metals, so that pushes the budget. Traffolyte probably the way to go for me initially then, unless I up my budget.

Back
Top Bottom