What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cactus Canyon remake chat

My view is that the game as it is brings me my sort of entertainment. I haven’t betted my money on the code project delivering because until we have it, we don’t have it.

Is there news on when it will be released?

My view is that the game as it is brings me my sort of entertainment. I haven’t betted my money on the code project delivering because until we have it, we don’t have it.

Is there news on when it will be released?
Yeah i love the original game, and the small update we already got, but ccc really showed what it should have been, so let not forget that! this new code has ccc as a reference already and it has decent people working on that know what they are doing so its low risk to expect it to be decent.

I dont understand why anyone would sell this now! epic stuff to come

Josh Sharpe who is doing the code has said it is just in the last stages and pricing etc. seems he wanted this summer but could be around £250 but most likely autumn

Do we know the form of the update yet?
There was talk of it being a hardware with software update at first and then people said it was now just going to be a code update. But that could be an EPROM or a new board we swap out.

I vaguely remember it being a hardware + software mod, which would be both interesting addition but also worrying due the time it would take for us to actually get it. If it’s only software, will we see more manufacturers charging for additional code content? I wouldn’t be against paying for a significant code addition, but don’t really want to see small micro transactions creep into pinball

It was due to come with more hardware but it sounded like this was scaled back.
In many ways, a changeable EPROM that works with the game as it arrived, is perfect we swap it out and back in again should we want to.
Much like the topper, hardware that isn’t there, should be ignored. But my imagination can’t go further than the apron guns do something, to see where more hardware could be added.
Or maybe the train puff’s steam!

I vaguely remember it being a hardware + software mod, which would be both interesting addition but also worrying due the time it would take for us to actually get it. If it’s only software, will we see more manufacturers charging for additional code content? I wouldn’t be against paying for a significant code addition, but don’t really want to see small micro transactions creep into pinball
I have no problem paying for code updates. It's long overdue that we recognise code isnt free to make! especially if it means code updates from older games will be more forth coming. I've spent over 15 years making code updates for games and the comments you get back are well, interesting to say the least considering how long it takes to make stuff. £25 seem about the limit and even then you appear to be a help desk forever on speed dial for them..

£250 for the CCR update is an absolute steal! And before we go down a 'but the games is so expensive' rabbit hole, lets separate out code work from game production work..

Also, lets jsut say if my pcbs products weren't as popular as they are, there would be zero code updates from me. It is not a self paying endeavour or anywhere near profitable..

I have no problem paying for code updates. It's long overdue that we recognise code isnt free to make! especially if it means code updates from older games will be more forth coming. I've spent over 15 years making code updates for games and the comments you get back are well, interesting to say the least considering how long it takes to make stuff. £25 seem about the limit and even then you appear to be a help desk forever on speed dial for them..

£250 for the CCR update is an absolute steal! And before we go down a 'but the games is so expensive' rabbit hole, lets separate out code work from game production work..

Also, lets jsut say if my pcbs products weren't as popular as they are, there would be zero code updates from me. It is not a self paying endeavour or anywhere near profitable..
Totally agree, I’ve been a software engineer for 25 years. Paying for valuable code additions isn’t a problem. What I don't personally like in the games industry are the small cosmetic micro transactions for “skins” etc. maybe I’m just getting old.

Looking forward to seeing what the new code brings.

CCC is epic, they did a fantastic job on that - and it will cost more than £250 to install that on a normal CC,

I dont bother looking on pinside etc - but hearing via people I know - the Lyman code was nowhere near as complete as they were lead to believe?

The color display code on CCC games are an eprom replacement. I would guess this update will need a mini SD card update in the backbox and a new chip under the PF.

Maybe a sub PCB if these 'barn doors' happen.

If you play video games - you pay for add on packs. This is exactly the same.

CC out the box I think is a bit boring after a bit. I stand by the fact that I would want a CC original with CCC installed. It is a shame that when you boot up CCrm it doesnt give you a menu asking for CC original, CC updated or CCC. But CCC has a lot of assets from older BW games that permission would have to be sort from to use.

As long as a game plays the hardware it shipped with, then you could argue they delivered, though games often never quite had something working so it was deleted. CCr finished off the game, as per the way many of the 90's games were. If there was unlimited resources and time, then we might have got better game play but also probably never get it delivered.
Many of my 90's games have had only bug fixes for code updates but only a few had actual game play updates, and again, these were not often more functionality.

We spend sensible money on mods, toppers, lighting and display upgrades, so code that enriches a game sounds like something we should pay well for.

That's a dangerous road to go down. Surely the game is nothing without some code to make it run? Then one could make the same argument about artwork etc.
Make some game code updates, give them away for freee after your 1000 hours then come back to me...

Make some game code updates, give them away for freee after your 1000 hours then come back to me...
So Stern should have charged for Bond code updates beyond what was on launch? How much did you feel like paying for updates on Ultraman, Jaws, etc. ?

Don't get me wrong I've been writing software professionally for a long time and know the effort is always underestimated. But for pinball it's part of the package and should be priced in imho.

So Stern should have charged for Bond code updates beyond what was on launch? How much did you feel like paying for updates on Ultraman, Jaws, etc. ?

Don't get me wrong I've been writing software professionally for a long time and know the effort is always underestimated. But for pinball it's part of the package and should be priced in imho.
I think there's a big difference between a game that was competed over 20 years ago where additions are offered and a new stern game released a week ago and still at a pre v1 level and under warranty but anyway..

I'm not down for paying £100's for code updates if I've already paid £1000's for the Pin.

If that's the way it's going then due diligence when buying a Pin is needed, make sure you are happy with the current code if you don't want to pay for updates.

Do you have to pay for normal updates/bug fixes or is the paying just for new features ala DLC for modern games?

I think there's a big difference between a game that was competed over 20 years ago where additions are offered and a new stern game released a week ago and still at a pre v1 level and under warranty but anyway..
Oh absolutely. And indeed here we're talking about a game which shipped NIB a few months ago and is still under warranty.

As I see it, this is a very odd situation:
  1. There is the original game - unfinished code, limited units
  2. There is an updated 'CONTINUED' code, released by someone who put a lot of effort into it, that required hardware changes
  3. Then there is the 'REMAKE' machine, where the code was "finished", that won't run the CONTINUED code
  4. Then there is the the discussed extended code to the remake, which will be for the REMAKE

Oh absolutely. And indeed here we're talking about a game which shipped NIB a few months ago and is still under warranty.
I don't agree sorry. Remake games are not new coded games are they. lets be honest.. They are old games being re-run.

The fact they are making new updates for it is a miracle at all, so a charge of £250 or £500 is not unreasonable

If they did an update for monster bash or attack from mars, same thing. £250 would be a bargain.

They are all OLD games.

Anyway, i think i need to step away from this chat .lol

Jim, I am with you but there is elements of the old game that was missing that were 'finished'. So they have re-run the game and moved the code on, but still within the reasonable window of the original game.
That a team of people are going to try to do something like the code for CCC is not expected and something special that I will pay for.

Back
Top Bottom