What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cabinet Decals

JMP

Site Supporter
Just ordered some cabinet decals from this guy in France, very surprised and pleased he had them for Robowar. £110 inc. postage via Ebay/Paypal, offers invited too.

Posting up the list of what he has available in case anyone else interested. Don't know how hard any of these are to get hold of and you may want to wait until mine turn up before buying any to see what the quality is like ! I'll be passing them to my favourite cabinet restorer in the North for inspection. @replicas

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/331747351908?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Name Manufacture Resolution

1 ATTACK FROM MARS Bally 600 DPI
2 CACTUS JACK Gottlieb 150DPI
3 CYCLONE WMS VECTORIZED
4 DINER WMS VECTORIZED
5 DOLLY PARTON VECTORIZED
6 Dr Who - FRONTON ONLY Bally VECTORIZED
7 DRACULA WMS VECTORIZED
8 EARTHSHAKER WMS VECTORIZED
9 EIGHT BALL DELUXE VECTORIZED
10 F14 TOMCAT VECTORIZED
11 FISH TALES 600 DPI
12 FUNHOUSE WMS VECTORIZED
13 GETAWAY VECTORIZED
14 GETAWAY SPECIAL ED VECTORIZED
15 HULK SPECIAL ED 600DPI
16 INDIANA JONES WMS VECTORIZED
17 KISS Gottlieb VECTORIZED
18 MEDIEVAL MADNESS 600DPI
19 MR AND MS PAC MAN VECTORIZED
20 NO FEAR Bally VECTORIZED
21 PLAYBOY Gottlieb VECTORIZED
22 BACK TO FUTUR 300DPI
23 REVENGE FROM MARS Bally 600DPI
24 ROBOT WARS Gottlieb VECTORIZED
25 ROLLING STONES Bally VECTORIZED
26 SOUTH PARK SEGA VECTORIZED
27 STAR TREK Data East 600 DPI
28 STARGATE SPECIAL ED Gottlieb 600 DPI
29 STREET FIGHTERS 2 PECIAL ED Gottlieb 600 DPI
30 TALES FROM THE CRYPT Data East 600 DPI
31 TALES OF ARABIAN NIGHT Bally 600 DPI
32 TAXI WMS VECTORIZED
33 THEATRE OF MAGIC Bally 600 DPI
34 TOMMY THE WHO Data East VECTORIZED
35 TWILIGHT ZONE Bally VECTORIZED
36 WHITE WATER WMS 600 DPI
37 WHIRLWIND WMS VECTORIZED
38 WORLD CUP SOCCER Bally VECTORIZED

Replicas will give a GOOD overview if they are worth it or not :) Specially if they are crap lol :D

Means the art will scale without a loss of quality I think....as opposed to a raster image that will lose quality if you scale it up :thumbs:

Bummer. I've literally about an hour ago opted for the Croatian fellas fishtales decals for £90 on eBay. I'll see how they look. Can't be any worse than the bleached white cabinet I have at the mo

Means the art will scale without a loss of quality I think....as opposed to a raster image that will lose quality if you scale it up :thumbs:

Think you're right Chris. Here are the words from the man himself:

'Vectorized Mean EPS files that can be higher without any quality trouble. Perfect line'

I've noticed he's had one recent negative feedback.... hence Ebay/Paypal using cc but hopefully all will be good. As far as Robowar decals go, beggars can't be choosers.

Pics look good though:

s1.postimg.org_6xgc08jkv_IMG_4624.jpg

s29.postimg.org_50wmjsppj_IMG_4635.jpg

s11.postimg.org_q1tu4sir7_IMG_4634.jpg

Bummer. I've literally about an hour ago opted for the Croatian fellas fishtales decals for £90 on eBay. I'll see how they look. Can't be any worse than the bleached white cabinet I have at the mo

I'll be honest, looking at his FT, they look probably the worst of all the ones he does. Over-colourised. I know someone who had some others from him and they looked great tho...

Was looking at that as well :p
But was also so thinking about the ones on Ministry of pinball !!

I'll be honest, looking at his FT, they look probably the worst of all the ones he does. Over-colourised. I know someone who had some others from him and they looked great tho...

I think I'm still in the mind set of when cab decals were £250. £90 is a bargain. Probably for good reason!! I shall report back my findings

What does vectorised mean?

'Vectorised' artwork is created with a series lines (which could be curved or straight) but means that the artwork is stored within the artwork file as a series of co-ordinates and a mathemical description of the line connecting them (e.g. A square would have the x, y, co-ordinates of each corner + the length of each line) . Benefits of this are that you need relatively small amounts of data to describe artwork (hence small files), but also the artwork can be scaled up to any size without loss of quality - e.g. if the square is bigger you just say it is 200cm long, rather than 2cm long, but no more space needed in the artwork file Think of it (originally) as the kind of artwork you got on old Asteroids video games! (Zenith colour and curves).

Rasterised (or bitmap) type files store each pixel in the image as a a specific set if info about it's colour - the larger the image and the higher the resolution the larger the file. Hence a 200cm x 200cm square at 72dpi (normal minimum for viewing) would be hugely bigger than a file for a 2cm x 2cm square. In arcade terms think of the pixels you used to see on the original space invaders (colour was a cheat by using overlays on the screen) or Galaxian games.

Does that make any sort of sense?

'Vectorised' artwork is created with a series lines (which could be curved or straight) but means that the artwork is stored within the artwork file as a series of co-ordinates and a mathemical description of the line connecting them (e.g. A square would have the x, y, co-ordinates of each corner + the length of each line) . Benefits of this are that you need relatively small amounts of data to describe artwork (hence small files), but also the artwork can be scaled up to any size without loss of quality - e.g. if the square is bigger you just say it is 200cm long, rather than 2cm long, but no more space needed in the artwork file Think of it (originally) as the kind of artwork you got on old Asteroids video games! (Zenith colour and curves).

Rasterised (or bitmap) type files store each pixel in the image as a a specific set if info about it's colour - the larger the image and the higher the resolution the larger the file. Hence a 200cm x 200cm square at 72dpi (normal minimum for viewing) would be hugely bigger than a file for a 2cm x 2cm square. In arcade terms think of the pixels you used to see on the original space invaders (colour was a cheat by using overlays on the screen) or Galaxian games.

Does that make any sort of sense?

So for the (relatively speaking) simple graphics, it means they have been re-drawn (either from scratch or using something like Illustrator and then touched up a bit) and for the ones ending in 'dpi' it means they are a rastorised scan. What's your view on the various dpi's mentioned @Nickbs with the size of pinball cab decals? I guess they are not that complex so 600 dpi would be ok at that size?

Thanks nick of should of known that really as that's the kinda thing I do in gerber at work lol

We use Gerber hardware for cutting & some printing as well as Gerber Omega/composer software (which is largely vector based) for design work when not using Illustrator - is that the same sort of stuff you use?

So for the (relatively speaking) simple graphics, it means they have been re-drawn (either from scratch or using something like Illustrator and then touched up a bit) and for the ones ending in 'dpi' it means they are a rastorised scan. What's your view on the various dpi's mentioned @Nickbs with the size of pinball cab decals? I guess they are not that complex so 600 dpi would be ok at that size?

When printing our recommendation for artwork is a minimum of '72dpi at actual size', (which designers often set at 300 dpi at 25% size which then scales up). 72dpi is reckoned to the a good minimum below which the human eye can begin to detect individual dots from close up. Our printers can actually print at between 300dpi -1440dpi, although we are normally somewhere in between.

The dpi's listed sound fine in themselves, but it all depends on the quality of the underlying image that has been scanned/set. I.e. If it's a poor quality underlying image then you just end up with a high quality print of a poor quality image - you can see all the blurred pixels really clearly :confused:. Imagine your avatar image blown up to 1m x 1m - it's a small image for displaying on screen - it would look terrible if the same file blown up to 1m x1m and viewed closely' (but would also probably look fine from 4m-5m away)

We use Gerber hardware for cutting & some printing as well as Gerber Omega/composer software (which is largely vector based) for design work when not using Illustrator - is that the same sort of stuff you use?

We use it for drawing our pattern pieces which we use to plan cutting lays which are then printed off on huge printers and used by the caters to cut out material. They haven't invested in the gerber automatic cutters

Fair do's! Makes sense.

As an asides, I found out a few years back that Gerber are apparently the world leaders in the supply of automated fabric processing and automated knitting machines (!). Not a lot of people know tat!

Well that seems to the thread fully de-railed :p:D

I got a DW set from the Croatian bloke the other day, they are clearly printed from a raster image but are acceptable for £90 posted. Certainly for a machine like this where the alternative was getting them from the states at £200 +p&p +import tax

I got a DW set from the Croatian bloke the other day, they are clearly printed from a raster image but are acceptable for £90 posted. Certainly for a machine like this where the alternative was getting them from the states at £200 +p&p +import tax

Well I got my DW decals from Portugal I think it worked out at £144 all in, they also look good but not sure if they are vector or raster but like you say way better than faded scuffed and dinged as is

Ronnie

Decals are a really tricky one. In absolute terms new ones will almost certainly look MILES better than the dinged, faded, gouged, fag burnt ****e that you remove - especially on decal candidates like Williams IJ and Fish Tales which both fade miserably

But it is also a job that you do not want to be doing once. Let alone twice. So that pushes you to go the extra mile

Back
Top Bottom