What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cabinet Decal Storage Question

mark9

Site Supporter
Alias
Mark Craven
I've just bought some new cab decals for BSD, was planning on storing them until I could get round to getting someone to fit them.

But they came with a notice saying they must be stored flat. Is this right, is storing them rolled up a problem? If so how long can you leave them rolled up before it becomes a problem?

Obviously with the size of these things storing flat is not ideal.

Rolled up should be fine,then when it's time to use them roll them out and press them flat for a few days before use.

I've just bought some new cab decals for BSD, was planning on storing them until I could get round to getting someone to fit them.

But they came with a notice saying they must be stored flat. Is this right, is storing them rolled up a problem? If so how long can you leave them rolled up before it becomes a problem?

Obviously with the size of these things storing flat is not ideal.

Speaking from a signmaker's perspective, and what we always try and recommend to clients, my advice would be:

- if possible do store them flat (far less chance of wrinkling/creasing);
- if you are storing them rolled the ensure they are rolled as loosely as possible & with graphics face on the outside (graphics are then slightly tensioned against the backing paper rather than creased);

- if the graphics have been sent out prepared with an 'application paper' on the face (which makes installation easier') then be aware that this is intended as a short-term disposable product which manufacturer's normally recommend to use within 6 months of being applied to graphics;

- also aim to store at around room temperature in a dryish environment. Both the application paper and the backing paper for the graphics will absorb moisture in a cold/damp environment leading to deterioration of the graphic which can complicate application.

All of the above can be ignored (and often is by many of our customer!), but the above will give you the best results.

This forum is truly blessed to have you, dude. Advice like that from an expert is top notch, I never thought about that outside/inside thing.

My RFM decals spent 2 days on the living room floor "flattening out" and now they live under my mattress. :D

This forum is truly blessed to have you, dude. Advice like that from an expert is top notch, I never thought about that outside/inside thing.

Kind words @cooldan & much appreciated, but in truth the boot is very much on the other foot as, if I had not stumbled across this forum almost a year ago, having long ago given up on the Yahoo Group as unintelligible, I wouldn't have got back into pinball, wouldn't have got two machines, wouldn't have known how to carry out some simple fixes to keep my 'main' machine in tip-top condition and wouldn't have met a whole host of fellow pinheads at social and league meets. I think I'm 'quids in' by a long-long way!:):);):clap:

If can get the 'Image Upload' function to work shortly I'll try and upload in a minute I'll try and upload some pictures from some 'flattened' graphics we recently had to deal with at work.

"was planning on storing them until I could get round to getting someone to fit them"

@mark9 - I've got a possible contact in your area who might be able to assist with application - I'll PM the details across

@Nickbs - just type a reply, at the bottom select "upload a file" and then include as either thumbnails or full size images... Sorted :D

Thanks for the advice Paul - easy when you know how!

So here's how some customer supplied graphics arrived with us a week or so ago - the courier delivering them had taken it upon themselves to help with the 'flattening', unfortunately they hadn't bothered with the firs step of taking them out of the box and unrolling first....

Bristol street - faulkners - feburary 2015  (7).JPG

So after we'd done our initial 'flattening' they looked like this out of the box:

Bristol street - faulkners - feburary 2015  (2).JPG

But after a bit of 'TLC', love and coaxing from the guys here you'd have never known from the end result on the van:
faulkners - February 2015 (2).JPG

Wouldnt have thought under a mattress would be a great place to store decals, especially if you are of the stereotypical pin bloke form.

Dunno what you guys are doing to your beds but mines ok haha!

Wouldnt have thought under a mattress would be a great place to store decals, especially if you are of the stereotypical pin bloke form.

:p

Lots of things spring to mind

Back
Top Bottom