What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cab repairs - opinions please

DRD

Registered
Doing a decal job on my scared stiff. Encountered some issues, seeking advice please.

1 spot delamination of the plywood. My inclination is to glue and clamp this. What is the best glue please ? Gorilla glue ? How do you avoid the glue sticking to the clamp ? Is it best to glue to whole end grain to stabilise it in some way ?, or just the damaged areas ?

image.jpg image.jpg

2 deep bolt indentations. These will cause ripples in decals. They need either filling or sanding down flat. My inclination is to sand down flat by grading the dent in with surrounding ply

image.jpg

3 the corner joints opened up in the past. Looks like a past owner stapled it. Am I best to shove glue in the crack, then use countersunk wood screws on both faces to tighten it up ?

Thanks

The lifted ply I would cut out that layer and fill it, same with bolt holes filler all the way. but use the stuff that you mix with hardener like car body filler, if you contour those bolt areas it will show! As for the corner if it's secure I would just leave it and fill the staple marks? All just my opinion of course.

Ronnie

Reactions: DRD
Is this one worth restoring ? What concerns me is whether the cab and head delaminates further in the future after I have done all the work

Thanks

I'd agree with BigIan and go with what Sven suggested.

The bolt indentations in mine were filled and sanded and you can't notice any wrinkling around that area at all. Same with the delamination; I squirted some PVA into mind and then carefully clamped it, taking care to make sure any glue that squirted out was either cleaned up or well away from there the clamp was positioned.

And yeah, you really need a sash clamp for that last issue.

Reactions: DRD
Hi @DRD ive done 5 or 6 full cab restores this year. Agree with all of the above, to help when filling the indents around the bolt holes fill the actual hole with a bolt flush to the cab from the other side. It's a nightmare trying to clear the filler out once it's hardened (I've been there on the first cab and regretted it totally!!). If the corners are loose use wood glue, you can either clamp them or use a ratchet tie right around the cab at the bottom and top, this lets you do all sides at the same time.

Good luck

After the joys of my nice, clean fish tales, I am going to have to get down and dirty with this one unfortunately.

As an aside, I laid a tongue and grooved egger chipboard floor a couple of years ago. Manufacturer's instructions were to use gorilla glue. I also know a joiner who uses gorilla glue rather than pva. It is truly vile stuff. It reacts with moisture in the wood, bubbles, then sets like superglue. But unlike superglue, it gives you time

@Marble Madness

Thanks for your suggestion about using ratchet straps. Do you protect the corners in some way, or just allow the webbing to touch the sides of the cab pls ?

This thread is very helpful indeed! As I am soon to enter the world of cab restoration!

@DRD , I might have a nosey at urs soon? To see how u are getting on restoring the cab!

Dunc

@Marble Madness

Thanks for your suggestion about using ratchet straps. Do you protect the corners in some way, or just allow the webbing to touch the sides of the cab pls ?
:thumbs: @DRD , @Dunc has beat me to the reply you just need an extra pair of hands, 'er indoors' helps me for this part which as you can imagine she's over the moon about!!!

Hope the restore goes well. There's nothing more satisfying than making an old pin look all shiney and new again:clap:

Back
Top Bottom