What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Building Materials - Cost and Availability

DRD

Registered
The financial markets have been showing very sharp increases in industrial metals for a number of months.

Anecdotal data from America is of sharp increases in prices for the construction industry.

This is now happening here. I bought building materials - roof sheets, bags cement, wood etc about two months ago.

Today of my 2 closest builders merchants, one had zero bags of cement. The other was extremely low and limiting buyers to 5 bags a day. At the next town, 10 miles away, the merchant there was low on stock and also limiting purchases to 5 bags a day.

0.7mm galv, plastisol coated roof sheets from my regular supplier were 10.38 a meter plus VAT 2 months ago. Today I was quoted 12.31 and after negotiation, 11.82

So if you are planning any building projects - think ahead qnd consider ordering now. The orgy of printed money is now hitting factory gate prices

It’s the same with Timber just had a quote wow I had to ask if the number was correct?

Coincidentally I’ve just had a conversation with a neighbour who’s in the aggregate supply business. As you’ve said everything is in short supply and he’s having to tell his customers that they’re not going to get their orders. Apparently there’s a 10 week wait for paving slabs. In case they’re are some anti Brexit crusaders on here😉 it’s not because of that. It’s supply and demand and the demand is at HS2 and other major projects so they get priority!

It feels like metal is the same. What is interesting is that I can buy a ready made stand for the same price that I could now fabricate one. I guess the made ones will also go up in price as the raw costs enter the system.

Wow. This sh1t's about to get heavy ...

Ice-cream vans hit by Cadbury flake shortage​

Only the UK and Ireland are thought to have been affected by dwindling supplies as demand soars.....

According to the Irish Times, workers in the ice-cream industry warned they have never seen a shortage of this scale and warned supplies may be exhausted by the middle of June.

Cadbury parent Mondelez, the New York-listed multinational food group, said in a statement: “We are seeing a recent increase in demand for our Cadbury 99 Flake.

Waiting on my doors for the new pin shed, screwfix, was 20 day delivery .... tbh ive completely lost count but its nearer 40 and no door. Girl on the phone line said she would contact them and they would be in touch , no call or email or anything. they do have my £600 tho .. Sheet timber goes up daily OSB board is almost 30 quid a sheet just glad i have most things up now just need the sodding door to continue !!!

I'm a bricklayer myself and the prices I quoted for jobs a few months back that included materials has been a nightmare I've had to tell the clients I can't get the material at that price now and I would have to do another quote or if they wanted to get the materials themselves I would give them a price for labour only some have been fine and others make you feel as if your trying to con them.

Tbh I’m starting to doubt my door will even be made , spoke to a tyre business he has 13 of a popular size in stock he says after that there’s just non , India makes most Tyers and they are shut down , he says this year will be a totally mess

I'm currently building a bunch of walls and then it will be shed 4.0 i guess (after telling myself i wont be doing it again after v3.0!!....).

Fortunately i grabbed most of my Aggrigate (3 tonnes sand, 2 tonnes 20mm agg for french drain) and blocks (215mm hollow as retaining wall) in lockdown when places had some... along with 30 bags of Cement.
Actually thought prices were creaping up... worked it out the other day - if i was able to get it all currently (which i cant!)... it's about 1/3rd on top again from what i paid....

Problem is i have two more walls to do after this, and then a concrete base 8mx4m to mix!!! 😢

And dont even start on on the incredible wood prices!!!

Luckily got the concrete and timber but done , it’s not all pinshed but the work seems less grulling when I tell myself it is ,

Ive just hit 50.... and i'm certainly feeling it when i do any major manual work now... tho i still do it and still enjoy it!

Roof tiles are also near impossible to get hold of at the moment according to my builder :(

I wouldn't be mixing concrete for a 32 square meter base Paul I would be getting it delivered .
It isnt 32 Sqm... thank goodness... it;s only 4-6" deep!

Problem is that it's still up a slope and still miles away from access... so unless i payed £££ and got it pumped... i have a mixer so it;s not all bad.. probably a days work...

Back
Top Bottom