What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bsd terror torch mod opinions needed

RudeDogg1

Registered
Well the torch mods I found have finally landed. Unfortunately a tad bigger than I'd hoped for. They are 1:8 scale which is the smallest the guy makes and I think drac is 1:10 which I thought wouldn't be much in it.

What do you guys think to big?

uploads.tapatalk_cdn.com_20180102_cd7438cb5adadf04b8e215013bde5e1c.jpg

Was gonna put one either side like this tied into the connector for the original lock lights.

uploads.tapatalk_cdn.com_20180102_a11553e36b38363ced54a80dcd92c504.jpg

As always phone cams don't pic up led effects well this is a multi coloured flame effect. Looks much better in person

uploads.tapatalk_cdn.com_20180102_33b42f99fa1072a157d01306d8e32cbb.jpg

Next to a 1:8 frank (not one of mine)

Unless the producer comes up with a better solution I could trim the handle down a couple cm and reshape the handle a touch but the top would remain the same

Look great against the Frankenstein, not sure against the Dracula, could maybe trim the handle right down or thin it right down, and re-do as a fire bowl (taking the lower circle off)

Look great against the Frankenstein, not sure against the Dracula, could maybe trim the handle right down or thin it right down, and re-do as a fire bowl (taking the lower circle off)

That wouldn't work due to the leds being hidden in the handle

I think he means it looks cack due to the size difference.

I tend to agree, its too big for the drac model but looks great with the frankie one

Yes it's been established it's to big lol. Still want to use them tho to expensive not to use them in some way. I might revisit Adams fire bowl idea as the resin in the crate is quite thick I could lose the gubbins in the resin. And have them sat on top the crate

Yes it's been established it's to big lol. Still want to use them tho to expensive not to use them in some way. I might revisit Adams fire bowl idea as the resin in the crate is quite thick I could lose the gubbins in the resin. And have them sat on top the crate

Yep, too big. I started making my own a while back. Gave up cos they were looking a bit sh1t !
uploads.tapatalk_cdn.com_20180105_52452a30483765b11fe2c169a5337e8b.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Right well I've cut them down just need abit of putty work on the base and painting. This is where I'm thinking of placing them

uploads.tapatalk_cdn.com_20180107_5129f55810f30c0bd375c1d5c928bfd6.jpg

uploads.tapatalk_cdn.com_20180107_5c30e1d5fa47b90acbbf8bf84b5a7de6.jpg

The first picture I think

I gave up on my torch project. In the end I installed two LEDs inside the coffin. One in each top corner. Each one is a lock light and they glow through the resin to the left and right of Dracula. Subtle but cool.
I used small red lasers which looked very cool shining through the resin but they burned out after a while.
I might one day do something exterior.

Soo I've been reluctant to post an update out of embarrassment ha.

So after a lil bit of modification and painting so it looks like bronze. It looks quite good but.... I made the rookie mistake of not realising how close drac was to the glass so it's 2 cm to high to get the glass on grr. So back to the drawing board I'm gonna resculpt something and put it on the sides.

The other issue is as you can see works fine in attract mode. But in test and in game it seems to make the lighting go all weird (many lights coming on at the same time) and not actually coming on when they are meant to. Any of the experts know why it would do this? It's connected exactly the same as the original ones using the same connector

Just thinking weird insert problems often come down to a failed diode, if you've removed them altogether ( not sure if you have? ) it could be the cause....maybe :hmm:

No it didn't even even cross my mind that they will still be needed

I replaced the crappy lock lights and the crappy original tombstone when you returned my painted coffin mod. I kept the original wiring including the diodes. No problems.
Im no expert when it comes to wiring, diodes and all that stuff so I just replaced the end point ie. the bulbs.

I replaced the crappy lock lights and the crappy original tombstone when you returned my painted coffin mod. I kept the original wiring including the diodes. No problems.
Im no expert when it comes to wiring, diodes and all that stuff so I just replaced the end point ie. the bulbs.

I prob need the diodes then I'll have a look at the w/e

Well it took a while but I've finally done it.

So first they were way to big and deff not 1/10 scale like they were meant to be.

They I tried cutting the top off and turning them into fire bowls which looked kinda cool but couldn't shut the glass Doh!

Then I gave up hope for a while.

Then using the now cut down torch I thought I'd try carving it down to a more suitable scale.

uploads.tapatalk_cdn.com_20180324_91255eb0c8fdaf6ca0d7207999af0bb3.jpg

This didn't work the resin was to brittle and just came off in chunks and didn't give the carved wood look I wanted.

Then I thought if I can get a hold of some monster clay from a sculptor I know I could maybe take a mould of the torch, then cast it out of the monster clay and then resculpt the clay.

uploads.tapatalk_cdn.com_20180324_29912e991e1afa9ce2dd726fba18c3ef.jpg

Also took a mould of the flame [emoji6]

Monster clay is weird it's firm enough to carve when at normal temp. But can be sculpted when warmed up abit or you can totally melt it like I did and pour it.

Once set I carved the handle down to a better size then took a mould of that.

uploads.tapatalk_cdn.com_20180324_d5048dc103af1198dc8994cf3d119c5a.jpg

Now this new size created another problem. Because it's now a thinner handle that will create a problem trying to fit in the wires. Drilling it out would make the walls to thin. So I made a 2 part mould that would allow me to fit the flame and wires in so when I poured the resin it would all be sealed inside. That worked a treat

uploads.tapatalk_cdn.com_20180324_cdf1c5d40385c4676f229150e6dab4c8.jpg

New torch

uploads.tapatalk_cdn.com_20180324_0132b8ffd1a3aa98143bcc151af63164.jpg

B4 and after

uploads.tapatalk_cdn.com_20180324_efcbb687b8bd20f759d7458f3a12e3fb.jpg

Finished

uploads.tapatalk_cdn.com_20180324_aa0fc1e31d3ce3e305551890c7cc6dc2.jpg

In attract

I think it looks pretty cool. Just need to figure out why the pop bumpers arnt lighting (been like it for ages)

Back
Top Bottom