What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

BSD not starting a game - FIXED

Derezz

King for a day
Alias
DEREZZ
Hi guys,

Due to illness I've not been able to be as active with the hobby as I'd like, but seeing as I'm recovering now it's time to fix the niggles.

As the title describes, I've had a lovely BSD for a few years now and it's always had this fault, was intermittent at first but lately it just will not start a game at all. I've checked the obvious start switch etc and I am totally lost as to what to do now. If it's not the start switch what COULD it be? I've traced the wiring as best as I can and it all seems ok. It's a BSD that's been looked after so I'm totally at a loss. Any help would be appreciated before I just give up and skip it :)

thanks in advance.
Andy

This game's a slight oddball in having four balls, but usually keeping one in the 'Mist' system, at either of the two ends of its travel. I'd check if the set of balls are accounted for, on the storage ramp under the cardholder and the Mist pockets, using the Switch tests

Hi jay. Thanks. The balls are in place and the mist feature works ok. The bloody thing just will not start lol. I have no clue when it comes to tracing breaks in wiring and the like. Ill keep trying

Have you checked the start switch in switch test? If not registering try shorting out the connectors to the switch, just to rule it out.

Great thanks guys. I'll try that but if I think I've done all that. EDIT - yes I've shorted the start switch out and still no joy.
I'll do it all again // reseat connectors etc and see if I can get it to work. Thanks for the help :)

Last edited:
Great thanks guys. I'll try that but if I think I've done all that. EDIT - yes I've shorted the start switch out and still no joy.
I'll do it all again // reseat connectors etc and see if I can get it to work. Thanks for the help :)

Do you have a multimeter ? Test the switch on continuity setting to see if it's actually closing.

I do have a multimeter so I'll have a poke around. I think I can figure it out but I'm not that great when it comes to stuff like this. Thanks sarg

If the switch has had it I have loads of used ones from fruit machine buttons which are the same.

Thinking re. the Start button; even if there was a ball missing, pressing the button should produce some response, e.g a 'search' of solenoids operating in an attempt to locate/dislodge it. And the game should reluctantly start in the end, with the missing ball(s) compensated for.

Try putting the game into Test, by pressing the 'Enter' button inside the front door. Once into the Main Menu, pressing the Start button should display Help information. Use + or - to select the Test sub-menu, and get in using Enter. Repeat to select one of the Switch tests, Edges would do to check the Start button. 'Levels' lists all the switches reading as Closed, so it should include 'Trough 1/2/3/4' as applicable to how many balls are there, maybe with 'Opto Mag. L. Pocket' and 'Ball on Magnet'.

Not the first BSD I know of to have start button issues...

The wires for the start button go through the coin door interface. The previous one I knew of - it was a broken wire from the driver board to the coin door interface.

Trace the continuity using your meter and you'll have your answer.

Not the first BSD I know of to have start button issues...

The wires for the start button go through the coin door interface. The previous one I knew of - it was a broken wire from the driver board to the coin door interface.

Didn't the one that used to be at yours have that issue? I'm sure I remember not being able to start a game

Thanks guys for the replies. I'll try to get on it as soon as I'm able. I have a feeling it might be the broken wire / driver board deal. I'll see what I can do multimeter wise and report back ;) My BSD came from Robotgreg so it might be the same one?

The previous one I knew of - it was a broken wire from the driver board to the coin door interface.

My multimeter leads are only about 30cm end to end with the meter in the middle, how would one tackle such an obstacle? Croc clip a piece of wire to one of the meter ends?

Re. checking continuity; strictly with the power Off, the machines' earth wiring could be used as a parallel conductor, i.e. temporarily connect one end of the suspected wire to the earth braid in the cabinet, then check for a complete circuit between the other end of the wire concerned and the earth in the backbox. But remove such a connection straight away afterwards

Update : - Ran the test menu. Got a shooter lane and drop target 'check switch' message. Magnet works ok so I tried the switch test, in test menu. Everything responds like it should, apart from the start switch. Bypassed the microswitch and still no joy so the fault definitely lies there.
Multimeter has died and gone to multimeter heaven so I'll have to trace it the old fashioned way. Unfortunately I can't get on it today.
Just wanted to say thanks again for the advice guys. I'd be lost without it.

Thanks to the legend that is Andy, hes just fixed the issues. Dracula is now working fine again. Im so happy ?

Awesome, what was the problem in the end? Always useful to know in case I get the issue on my BSD.

Poor connector onto cpu caused by ancient battery leakage. Cpu has been repaired long time ago for leakage, but connector must have been affected and continued to rot only to fail years later.

Poor connector onto cpu caused by ancient battery leakage. Cpu has been repaired long time ago for leakage, but connector must have been affected and continued to rot only to fail years later.

If this doesn't highlight the issue with battery leakage, nothing does.

Back
Top Bottom