What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

BS Dracula Journey

Calimori

Staff member
Alias
Calimori
This project bought by @Alpha1 with @Matt Adams doing the work.
It arrived with numerous issues that @Matt Adams started to resolve.
Here are some of the gems they found:

IMGP9047.JPGIMGP9053.JPGIMGP9064.JPGIMGP9066.JPGIMGP9051.JPGIMGP9065.JPGIMGP9056.JPGIMGP9070.JPG
It had had a tough working life and was being kept alive with a lot of hacks.
@Matt Adams set about cleaning and repairing

20200514_152951.jpg20200514_153048.jpg

20191005_154055.jpg20191006_115815.jpg

20191215_151910.jpg

But board issues before the strip down and afterwards appeared. @Alpha1 decided to sell the machine on in January and I picked it up as a lockdown project.

As it was at @Matt Adams house already, I decided to have him decal it as the playfield already looked like it was worth having a nice cab to go with it.

20210104_151038.jpg20210124_151106.jpg

During this it had new bracket bolts, flipper buttons and cab protectors added.
What arrived at mine on the 17th of February was a lovely looking cab and good playfield but with a lot of technical issues to solve as well as the tidying up of playfield parts. Plus, all the other issues that hadn't been ironed out due to it not even booting.

Before firing up, I checked all fuses and disconnected all solenoids and GI to ensure nothing locked on or burnt out. Then fired it up, or tried to.
The MPU wouldn't boot so I tested the machine with one from CFTBL, swapping over the ROM.
This showed power issues on the driver board and display board issues so a scary DMD. Swapping in CFTBL display board showed the DMD was also running on half the columns. But we did have a something working.

Visual inspection of the MPU board showed several areas to inspect and I replaced an interesting addition of new capacitors piggybacking off an older one.
IMG_7707 3.jpg
Using the correct tools, I swapped the ASIC chip and the processor with CFTBL's and tested the original MPU again. It booted.
I then swapped the original processor back onto the original board. It booted.
I then swapped the original ASIC back into the original board. It booted.
No idea what was stopping this from booting, it might have been the ASIC or processor needed reseating.
However, it wasn't exactly working perfectly.

IMG_7731 2.JPG

REINSTALLATION REGLAGE USINE means FACTORY SETTING REINSTALLATION in French (hello to anyone googling this later)

It was now I found that the buttons to change the settings were not attached to the door and I could see them. They were there but fallen down inside the cab during moving. Once located, I set the machine back to English language in the menu and noted that the jumpers at W17 and W18 were missing (this would set the default to English from French). A reboot showed the settings were lost again.
New RAM was ordered and RAM cut off, socketed and replaced. Plus the 0 ohm resistors put into W17 and W18 so that if the settings are all lost again, default will be English.
I also had to replace ULN2803 at U20 as that was shot.
MPU now boot up, kept setting and appeared to be detecting switches. A game could be started but with no game solenoids and we were on to the Driver Board.

So many melted and bodged connectors. Connectors with the wrong colour wires, where they were cut off another loom and soldered on to the original loom. Often using sellotape instead of heat shrink or insulation tape.
IMG_7799.JPG IMG_7805.JPG

I started working through all of these and molexing new connectors on. As I went, I noted where they all went and got rather indepth with WPC schematics.
I took a power reading from all the test points, checked over the TIPs on the board and reconnected the solenoids and GI.
Fuses blew and after replacing blew again. The 20v circuit was blow. Replaced the bridge rectifier and it fixed that.

Display board has had the HV power rebuilt as it was very bad.

IMG_7862.JPGIMG_7880.JPGIMG_7883.JPG

Display still doesn't run properly. I replaced the RAM but that hasn't solved it so I bought a Pinled replacement so CFTBL got her boards back.
The last month of nights have been tweaking with solenoids, switches and optos to get them to work properly.
As I go, I replace the sellotape and bad soldering, the melted connectors and the dodgy pins.
Two obvious things left:
  1. Mist multiball and the 24" opto board. The motor and magnet work but the optos do not pick the ball up.
  2. The brown wire GI for the playfield is blowing the fuse
To solve both requires removing a few more playfield bits so time to strip it down. Get bits powder coated and polish up the playfield.

Wow Geoff. That was a mess. Looking good now though mate. Crazy how bodged they got to keep them earning.

There are more bodges to share as I strip it down.
Matt found a lot that were frankly dangerous too.

My favourite was Fish Tails slingshot plastics. Fishula??

And there are parts of old cabinets in the cab

7270e56e6573803dd1e5e8e05b65e866.jpg85052149a402e53136e46eeac6f08da9.jpg
The colours on that CFTBL are better than mine.

Insane project this one but well worth it to bring a drac back from dead. Keep up the good work son!

1619632153853.png

Honestly can't decide what part of this picture offends me the most, there's so much bodgy work to choose from.

The invisible fuse is close to my top along with the capacitor that messed with my OCD even though it was working.

Matt did replace all fuses before it got to me.

To be clear, the tracks on that board are fine and after rebuilding the HV it works great. Just the display part is not working. I should have tested that part before buying the bits to rebuild it.

To be clear, the tracks on that board are fine and after rebuilding the HV it works great. Just the display part is not working. I should have tested that part before buying the bits to rebuild it.

You know they have their own br's? Could be one of them has blown leading to only half working because only half a power supply...

I did test the BR’s and checked for power at key points for 5v on the display side of the board and it all seemed ok. I forget the number of IC’s on these but it is quite a lot.
I am going to go back over it at some point. Like with Tommy, I realised these display board are harder for me to diagnose. I had spent a lot of time on fixing something that I could replace for relative cheapness. Once it stops being fun, then I wanted to move on to another challenge and this machine has enough of those.

Will be well worth it in the end, such a good game!

My white water has old cab bits inside in exactly the same place, maybe originally from the same operator?

Please share.
I believe from the board numbers that machine machines donated organs and parts to keep this one going. But to kill an TZ is a shame and a CFBL is a criminal act (based on bias opinion)

Creech, TZ and BSD were all very close, I guess then they were left over cabs at the end of the run, or ones that didn’t pass QC tests?
The ones in my wh20 are from Doctor Who.

The factory recycled old cabinets. I reckon most old Williams games have it in. Especially the support beam with the transformer on across the middle
I know Bally Williams did that BITD with excess cabinets. So I think you're right.

I've never seen so many bodges in one machine though, that deserves a trophy.

Will definitely be worth it in the end. For me BSD has turned out to be the one that will never leave. Please put a red launch button it though! That yellow one is so so wrong.

The factory recycled old cabinets. I reckon most old Williams games have it in. Especially the support beam with the transformer on across the middle

That's quite correct. Even Addams, with its 20,000 plus production figures, didn't escape. It may have been a Twilight Zone that I saw with a strip of Addams woodwork; I said to a colleague "You want an Addams, don't you?. Lever that off, and you can make a start building one"

In extreme cases, new games were put onto the line to use up otherwise unusable cabinets. Bally produced Centaur II and Eight Ball Deluxe LE to use up the special cabinets left after their Hyperball clone failed to sell.

Back
Top Bottom