What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bowen live tutorial on Stern Star Trek (Tonight, Sat 2nd)

Isn't 7pm Eastern the same as midnight here? Or have I got my daylight saving time screwed up?

It is Eastern, but our clocks changed (and US hasn't yet) so its only 5 hrs behind at the moment.
(Ie, 7pm Eastern is currently 11pm here)

We'll...that was ace. Playing like that and having a casual chat at the same time. Is Bowen actually a Terminator?

We'll...that was ace. Playing like that and having a casual chat at the same time. Is Bowen actually a Terminator?

I love watching Bowen's tutorials, he is so casual while making difficult combo shots, he makes everything look easy

Ah you've got to love the 393,000 shots to complete mode bug!

Come on Stern FFS release some complete code for a game just once maybe?

NERD mode !? Think he means NERO.....

Ah you've got to love the 393,000 shots to complete mode bug!

Come on Stern FFS release some complete code for a game just once maybe?

He confirms later it's just a display issue, he actually completed the mode. Will no doubt get corrected... To have this new code with new sounds and features before PH's machines have landed in the UK is an improvement in my book.

Last edited:
goodness me. i watched most of it until my internets gave up on me half way through part 2, and it just froze. he is pretty handy, isn't he. got to warp 9.9 twice in one game, completed the mode grid twice in one game. next game he managed to get all three nerds and half way through the next pile.

and all while injecting humour and having a nice fireside chat with us, and while live so he couldn't mess up and just re-record. the guy is a pinball god. it must be such a different game when you can control the ball like that.

the game is just so fast, and he showed what the combos can do. i wasn't a fan of Metallica tbh, and i'd never pay to own a £6K toy, but this just ****es all over WOZ for gameplay

I can't blame Jonathan for standing up for it, he shelled out a load of cash and sold his great games (TAF and Creech among others) to fund it ..... and it's not finished so *maybe* it will be ok in the end. And if it does turn out to be crap when finished, he will have to sell it to get back to where he was, so he can't say its crap even if he thinks it, or the price will plummet. He's holding on to a rising balloon I reckon.

I'd love to see Bowen do WOZ. Bowen would be able to show it off. But that will be a 3 hour tutorial, especially if they don't kill off the left outlane ball save tragedy

I've only ever had one in, one out so that's not the issue. Read Pinside for the honest reviews of Woz with 1.22 code. Yes ST 'flows', but that's because there's **** all on the playfield to hit! The layout has been done to death and this version hasn't even been done well imo.

I quite like ST.

Putting aside the pricetag for a moment, I enjoy the sound package and the shots are quite satisfying (looking forward to trying the LE), yes the artwork on the playfield isn't the best but at the same time, its not intrusive, it has a nice bold colour scheme that you would expect on a modern remake of the film.

I've only ever had one in, one out so that's not the issue. Read Pinside for the honest reviews of Woz with 1.22 code. Yes ST 'flows', but that's because there's **** all on the playfield to hit! The layout has been done to death and this version hasn't even been done well imo.

Not having a go, but your opinion on it seems poles-apart from everyone else.... Think you're the guy who posted up on the yahoo forum slagging it off too....? (correct me if I'm wrong).

Each to their own and all that, but not seen anyone else flying so much sh*t at it. If there is, link me to it as interested to see anything negative. Only read generally the opposite so far...

I was fortunate/unfortunate to play ST at NLP with the Duttons (father and son) who had a lot more practice than me, more importantly they can play extremely well. This gave me a lot of time to think about the machine in between the short periods I was hitting the flippers with the ball.
The layout initially looked like there was a limit to what you can do but as soon as you play you realise there is a lot of game in there and it looks sweet. I had one good ball and I really felt it. I do agree that there is less for your money than WoZ that looks like it has a much better build quality and so many more toys.
But I have come to learn that a good game for me is about code, layout, attraction and ST appeared to tick enough boxes for me, even though the theme is not one I drawn to.

Yeah I'm not a Star Trek fan either and wasn't impressed when I saw the playfield previews but after playing it at Play Expo, I changed my mind. Its a nice game let down by some rather subpar DMD graphics imo. Wasn't terribly impressed by WOZ, didn't flow very well and generally felt pretty unfinished even on the v1.21 code.

Its a nice game let down by some rather subpar DMD graphics imo.

That struck me at first. Not sure how these things are put together, but it appears Spiderman and Tron have converted movie clips rather than self-made graphics and I prefer those tbh. Some animations I saw whilst playing ST looked a bit naff at first impression, but have realised there's quite a lot more to them after watching the tutorial.

I was fortunate/unfortunate to play ST at NLP with the Duttons (father and son) who had a lot more practice than me, more importantly they can play extremely well. This gave me a lot of time to think about the machine in between the short periods I was hitting the flippers with the ball.
The layout initially looked like there was a limit to what you can do but as soon as you play you realise there is a lot of game in there and it looks sweet. I had one good ball and I really felt it. I do agree that there is less for your money than WoZ that looks like it has a much better build quality and so many more toys.
But I have come to learn that a good game for me is about code, layout, attraction and ST appeared to tick enough boxes for me, even though the theme is not one I drawn to.

I agree, it takes more than toys to make a game. Many sparse games are a lot of fun. I'm really looking forward to playing Metallica and AC/DC. I'm not a stern hater by any means, just don't really like ST

Too early really as Stern so far behind in code. Metallica could be fantastic but who knows how the code is going to pan out? It is Lyman so hopefully no XM here. ST has the new team of coders so again 6-9 months, we will see. ACDC is virtually finished although rumours of a strobe multiball to come - maybe??

Loving AC/DC at the moment. Had the chance to play a WOZ with the new software this weekend. Yes, it's better than before but still didn't really grab me. Nice lights but nothing to drag me in. Same person had an AC/DC fitted with a huge sub-woofer and shaker motor. Spent all my time playing it - simply rocks! Can't believe when I first played it I didn't rate it. Got some serious pin-envy going on regarding this one. I'll even forgive it the crap kicking Angus at the back;)

Loving AC/DC at the moment. Had the chance to play a WOZ with the new software this weekend. Yes, it's better than before but still didn't really grab me. Nice lights but nothing to drag me in. Same person had an AC/DC fitted with a huge sub-woofer and shaker motor. Spent all my time playing it - simply rocks! Can't believe when I first played it I didn't rate it. Got some serious pin-envy going on regarding this one. I'll even forgive it the crap kicking Angus at the back;)

Oiiiii LAY OFF the Cheesy dancing band, it's one of the best things about any pinball machine EVERRRRRRR!!!! :D

Back
Top Bottom