What's new

BOP 2.0 She's Alive!

Snux

Site Supporter
Alias
Mark Sunnucks
Sorted out my new BOP and now running 2.0.

I'm the guy that did the pinmame build to play the original Williams code, but always did it without a machine to test on. Now I've got my own, I'm working on some improvements to pinmame for a few things.

2.0 is really good though, makes BOP a whole new game!IMG_20180226_141748.jpg

Sorted out my new BOP and now running 2.0.

I'm the guy that did the pinmame build to play the original Williams code, but always did it without a machine to test on. Now I've got my own, I'm working on some improvements to pinmame for a few things.

2.0 is really good though, makes BOP a whole new game!View attachment 59768
Very nice indeed - let me know if you update the pinmame build! I'm pretty sure it doesn't include the heartbeat bugfix at the moment...

@MartinY which heartbeat bug are you referring too? The one that got fixed in the "unofficial L8" ROM?

I'm working on a few improvements to the emulation of 1.0 and once done will work with DP to get it out to some beta testers. At the moment I've taken care of the following.....

1 - Helmet lamps now play the correct intended pattern rather than a cycling random pattern which was as good as we could get it previously. I still need to see if they look OK with LEDs in.
2 - Pressing and holding the start button will quit without a game actually starting play. At the moment it quits just after kicking a ball into the shooter lane which is kind of annoying.
3 - The sound is improved *a lot*. Whether we release that depends on some other discussions taking place at the moment.
4 - Build is based on pinmame 3.0 rather than the ancient 2.2 release. Probably doesn't make a big difference in BOP but nice to get up to date.

@MartinY which heartbeat bug are you referring too? The one that got fixed in the "unofficial L8" ROM?

I'm working on a few improvements to the emulation of 1.0 and once done will work with DP to get it out to some beta testers. At the moment I've taken care of the following.....

1 - Helmet lamps now play the correct intended pattern rather than a cycling random pattern which was as good as we could get it previously. I still need to see if they look OK with LEDs in.
2 - Pressing and holding the start button will quit without a game actually starting play. At the moment it quits just after kicking a ball into the shooter lane which is kind of annoying.
3 - The sound is improved *a lot*. Whether we release that depends on some other discussions taking place at the moment.
4 - Build is based on pinmame 3.0 rather than the ancient 2.2 release. Probably doesn't make a big difference in BOP but nice to get up to date.
Yes indeed the unofficial L8...
Point 3 - yes that would be great - fingers crossed as that will make a big difference! Good stuff!

I don't have an official shipped 2.0 kit as my setup predates Cointaker getting involved, so I don't know how the PC is setup. However if you're able to get into Windows, you can save the L8 rom zip file in the pinmame\roms folder and the settings in BOP2 will allow you to use it. That's what I've done on mine and L8 works fine. I don't think DP are allowed to ship it though because it's not an official Williams release. You have to make the zip file by combining the sound roms from L7 and the game rom from L8.

I don't have an official shipped 2.0 kit as my setup predates Cointaker getting involved, so I don't know how the PC is setup. However if you're able to get into Windows, you can save the L8 rom zip file in the pinmame\roms folder and the settings in BOP2 will allow you to use it. That's what I've done on mine and L8 works fine. I don't think DP are allowed to ship it though because it's not an official Williams release. You have to make the zip file by combining the sound roms from L7 and the game rom from L8.
OK - fab. I'll try that when I'm back home. Yes you can get into windows no problem. I wasn't sure it if was modified at all.

Cool. You can download the bop_l8 zip file from IPDB. Into that zip file, add the 3 sound rom files contained in the bop_l7 zip. Then save the bop_l8 zip file (which now contains a total of 4 files) into the folder 1.19\pinmame\roms (not sure where the 1.19 folder is in the official shipped version). I think they ship 1.19 with the L6 and L7 versions. I can just email you the final L8 file if you drop me a note.

Then play BOP2 and go to the settings menu. In there somewhere is a section for BOP 1.0 where you can choose the ROM version. L8 should show up, select that and you should be set. First time you'll get Factory Settings Restored, then you'll need to set free play etc etc.

Back
Top Bottom