What's new

Bog standard machines that still elude you.....

johnwhitfield

Site Supporter
Alias
John Whitfield
Off to my first league match of 2015 later today and I've been looking at the machine list. Over the last 6 odd years I've been lucky enough to play a huge range of machines including some of the rare/highly sort after games (thanks to everyone for being kind enough to open up their collections:clap:).

However, there's still a load of real B listers that I've never had the opportunity to play. You know the type of machine that you frequently see on ebay but can't quite be ****d to chuck a bid in. They presumably exist in decent numbers in the UK but don't tend to crop up at meets or shows.

For me this would include....

SFII
DE Simpsons
TMNT
SW Trilogy
SWEP1
DE Batman
Twister (although I might have played this at Matt Adam's, I can't remember)
JP Lost world

+ a load of the other Gottleibs. (I know it will be dreadful but I've always wanted to see how bad Hardbody is)

Anyone else missed out on playing some of the common games? We're not talking about BBB or Al's Garage Band but something really common like T2 or Fish Tales.

Anyway, hope to catch some of you later at the Four Quarters....

Despite everyone saying how good it is, I've yet to run into a RBION. Not played a TFTC or DH to my memory either now I think about it.

Loads of the older pre-DMD games - Would like to get some time on an Elvira &TPM at some point.

As the second best selling pinball (20,230 just behind 20,270 for TAF) I don't recall even seeing an EIGHT BALL let alone playing one. Same goes for the next biggest selling pin: Williams' FLASH. How have I missed machines produced in such huge numbers?

SF2 is always at the NLP show, Adam Sharples brings it, SWEP1 was there last year as well and Turtles was at NLP 2013.

I'm sure I've seen a JP Lost World somewhere too.

The only people who hate on Popeye and SWEP1 are those who haven't played anything other than the top 10 listed on IPDB.

SF2 is always at the NLP show, Adam Sharples brings it, SWEP1 was there last year as well and Turtles was at NLP 2013.

I'm sure I've seen a JP Lost World somewhere too.
Jp lost world was at the pin party abt 2yrs ago,my first ever game.. Not one of sega best but a game not seen much either! I think andy netherwood may have had one?

Even worse than POPEYE? :p

Oh dear ....this will never end will it :rolleyes:

For the record, like anyone cares , I just had an awesome session on Popeye - hit the Wizard mode, no mean feat in itself, and then completed it rescuing Olive from the clutches of the evil Bluto :cool: ! Total rush, and nailed Grand Champ score. ( calling @Fintan Stack :D)

Said it before, had so much more fun out of Popeye than several of the supposedly 'better' WPC games of the era that have passed thru the Shack.

Watch this space for GrizZs ultimate guide to Popeye Saves The Earth ... the lowdown on the rules ! the strategy ! the fun ! ....with pictures :D

Last edited:
Watch this space for GrizZs ultimate guide to Popeye Saves The Earth ... the lowdown on the rules ! the strategy ! the fun ! ....with pictures :D
Send it to PAPA and see if they will air it, that or ask for Bowen to do a tutorial on it ;)

Next show we are going to get you to bring and demonstrate how to play and enjoy the finer side of Popeye.
Pencil you in for NLP in October ?

Next show we are going to get you to bring and demonstrate how to play and enjoy the finer side of Popeye.
Pencil you in for NLP in October ?
Great, can be used as firewood if it's cold outside again when we have to wait to get back inside for the lock-in!

swe1 is best example of style over substance in pinball. have to have one though as its star wars.

So @GrizZ are you going to bring it along and convert all these Neanderthals in the finer points that Popeye has to offer.
Would be great to see how many non believers you could convert.

Plus I have been to loads of shows and only ever seen two.
Must be one of if not the rarest out there. Let's try and give it a chance, show it some love people, you never know you might get to like it.

Played a good few games on popeye at the Pinball party last year.

I really liked it, bit weird but i think that was part of the appeal.

cheers
ian

Hey! I'm not hating on POPEYE! Maybe just a little wind up... ;)

I played it at UKPP 2013. Last machine of the weekend. At that time I'd only been into and owned a (non-working) pinball machine for 5 months, but even then I could tell it was an oddball (I'd heard the rumours and slander) but although I didn't have a clue what I was doing it was an enjoyable and memorable end to a great weekend. Certainly not my favourite machine, which I'm slowly beginning to realise might be SPACE SHUTTLE and I really need one soon, but good enough that I kept playing it until we got chucked out instead of trying to squeeze one last game out of something else better known.

when taking games to shows there is always a balance between taking reliable crowd pleasers and rare/unusual stuff that may play up (and where you have to treat the backglass like the crown jewels) . ear marked for party this year are zacarria robot and banzai run but will "soak" play them first!

I don't think there's any such thing as a crowd pleaser. Most shows are 90% general public who don't have a clue about pinball and will happily play any/every machine there.

Variety is definitely important. It gets boring when you walk past 47 different Fish Tales machines.

Most shows are 90% general public who don't have a clue about pinball
doesn't sound like any of the shows i've been to. ok, NLP is 90% gamers, maybe you meant that.
but all other shows have about 5% general public and 95% pinheads

Well yeah gamers I mean, but from what I've seen most are only just getting into pinball.

Back
Top Bottom