What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Blues Brothers… but by HomePin

Maybe some bridge jump action behind these drops??

Attachments

• IMG_6481.jpeg
    IMG_6481.jpeg
    82.3 KB · Views: 53
Definitely looks like a jump ramp on the back left.

Don't think it's fair to pass any kind of judgement based on these sketchy pics of an early prototype however.

Didn't enjoy spinal tap myself, yet I do find the excessive negativity in this thread to be a bit depressing...

Hey, look on the bright side - no ramps is an improvement over ramps that can’t be made or go nowhere.

Is that a lone yellow drop or stand up mid far right? I can't work out how you'd hit that as theres a ball guide blocking it from a direct hit?
Probably just bad perspective on the photo,😄

Definitely looks like a jump ramp on the back left.

Don't think it's fair to pass any kind of judgement based on these sketchy pics of an early prototype however.

Didn't enjoy spinal tap myself, yet I do find the excessive negativity in this thread to be a bit depressing...
Yeah I agree … there is a huge label saying that it’s a non playing proto.
Homepin probably seen the success of pulp and figured let’s have a crack at it with this.
Being able to customise the game with your own call outs and music is a really exciting prospect… the theme is the best imaginable.
I hope that homepin can really make it work.
Wanted to love Tap but it was so terrible so maybe they can learn and make it flip and flow well.
Come on homepin don’t rush this “ borrow “ some other tried and tested layout and make this game awesome

Michael Madsen & Winona Ryder ?
It's the remake... 😇

I would say that, but Thunderbirds was - not the worst pin I've played - but it had some weird issues. Odd ergonomics on the flipper buttons, a ramp that didn't seem to do much, and the pinball kept falling through the playfield (on the one I played!)

The Spinal Tap I played at Pinfest was actively worse. The layout was less novel (and thus, less entertaining), it had fewer interactive toys (the Thunderbirds 2, which I found pretty fun), and there was a completely undoable side shot. Lots of controversy over whether the side shot was actually impossible, or whether it was being played by bad players, but Homepin have now added a third flipper... so, take that as you will. The ball also frequently launched SDTM in a way that required championship-level nudging, which I don't have. In my game, and another player's, it went SDTM on every plunge in at least one game. Another player, who was a championship nudger, managed to get a stronger first game going by almost flinging the machine across Pinfest. Visually, the ramps looked like they'd been hand-welded in a shed, rather than the more sensible option of designing around Bally/Williams parts.

I would be willing to give Homepin a third chance because, having played The Jetsons, Spooky didn't start out making brilliant pins. However, the designer just doesn't listen to feedback from what I can tell. He repeatedly accuses everyone who criticises him of being a troll, or a 'collector', or an expert tournament player, and - thus - not his target market. As I tell my criticism-intolerant seven-year-old son, you cannot learn and grow as a person by ignoring criticism. No-one gets everything right first time and people criticise, sometimes, because they want you to *succeed*.

Having rated The Jetsons as probably the worst pin I've ever played, I own a TNA CE and feel broadly positive about Spooky. I wouldn't own TNA if the team at Spooky had responded to criticism of The Jetsons by deciding pinball fans weren't their target audience... it's just a terrible, terrible shame 😢

Last edited:
It's the remake... 😇

I would say that, but Thunderbirds was - not the worst pin I've played - but it had some weird issues. Odd ergonomics on the flipper buttons, a ramp that didn't seem to do much, and the pinball kept falling through the playfield (on the one I played!)

The Spinal Tap I played at Pinfest was actively worse. The layout was less novel (and thus, less entertaining), it had fewer interactive toys (the Thunderbirds 2, which I found pretty fun), and there was a completely undoable side shot. Lots of controversy over whether the side shot was actually impossible, or whether it was being played by bad players, but Homepin have now added a third flipper... so, take that as you will. The ball also frequently launched SDTM in a way that required championship-level nudging, which I don't have. In my game, and another player's, it went SDTM on every plunge in at least one game. Another player, who was a championship nudger, managed to get a stronger first game going by almost flinging the machine across Pinfest. Visually, the ramps looked like they'd been hand-welded in a shed, rather than the more sensible option of designing around Bally/Williams parts.

I would be willing to give Homepin a third chance because, having played The Jetsons, Spooky didn't start out making brilliant pins. However, the designer just doesn't listen to feedback from what I can tell. He repeatedly accuses everyone who criticises him of being a troll, or a 'collector', or an expert tournament player, and - thus - not his target market. As I tell my criticism-intolerant seven-year-old son, you cannot learn and grow as a person by ignoring criticism. No-one gets everything right first time and people criticise, sometimes, because they want you to *succeed*.

Having rated The Jetsons as probably the worst pin I've ever played, I own a TNA CE and feel broadly positive about Spooky. I wouldn't own TNA if the team at Spooky had responded to criticism of The Jetsons by deciding pinball fans weren't their target audience... it's just a terrible, terrible shame 😢
Agreed, if the manufacturer had come out with we listened to feedback, we taken on board the criticism and come out with an amazing product, basically Michael bay promoting transformers 3, the negativity would be far less, but the message from the person who approved the design and makes it is that we are all trolls, it's not aimed at us blah blah blah.

The more I think about it, perhaps it's the statement there no such thing as bad publicity, we are talking about it I suppose 🤷‍♂️

Agreed, if the manufacturer had come out with we listened to feedback, we taken on board the criticism and come out with an amazing product, basically Michael bay promoting transformers 3, the negativity would be far less, but the message from the person who approved the design and makes it is that we are all trolls, it's not aimed at us blah blah blah.

The more I think about it, perhaps it's the statement there no such thing as bad publicity, we are talking about it I suppose 🤷‍♂️

This is the part that confuses me. It's like he actively takes pride in a producing a niche product of such low quality that it actively alienates the very people who routinely spend large sums on said niche product, in favour of chasing a market of people who don't normally have any interest in buying the niche product that he's producing.

Why wouldn't he want to take on feedback to try to make a product that both appeals to pinball buyers as well as these 'have a games room but don't care for pinball but want a pinball for some reason' people?

If Blues Brothers was developed as a single level throw back game along the lines of Pulp Fiction, TNA, Beatles etc with a simpler layout and rules to keep the price down I think people would be going crazy over it.

If Blues Brothers was developed as a single level throw back game along the lines of Pulp Fiction, TNA, Beatles etc with a simpler layout and rules to keep the price down I think people would be going crazy over it.
That's what's there on the photos, isn't it? A single-level throwback-style game. I can't see any ramps (at most, there's one ramp)?

And, to be fair to him, he may be planning to change the playfield artwork (here's hoping🤞)

That's what's there on the photos, isn't it? A single-level throwback-style game. I can't see any ramps (at most, there's one ramp)?

Yes, but he's already said that 'it is a budget machine at a budget price aimed at 'man cave' buyers NOT pinball enthusiasts' which really suggests that it isn't going to be of the same quality / feel as those other games which are very much aimed at pinball enthusiasts.

Yes, but he's already said that 'it is a budget machine at a budget price aimed at 'man cave' buyers NOT pinball enthusiasts' which really suggests that it isn't going to be of the same quality / feel as those other games which are very much aimed at pinball enthusiasts.
Yeah and the worry is if the previous ones were aimed at us and felt terrible , what might this be like if it’s aimed at a budget non pin player market ….
Oh god it’s like a roller coaster of emotions already 😂😂

Half way down are some pics that you can zoom in on. It's only Stars anyway so I wouldn't bother.

The Alien hands really scream quality. 🤢🤢🤮🤮
Oh yeah, totes...

handshake.jpeg

More or less than the current Blues Brothers playfield artwork, though, that is the question...?

The current art package looks like Mike threw it together in GIMP.

Point being, Mike would say "I can't afford decent artwork" and I'd argue, "it may not be ethical, but you could pay a freelance on Fiverr to collage a bunch of AI artwork together (deleting the extra fingers) and you'd get something half-decent for about £30".

Last edited:
This explains the rights, it's not the film, hence the lack of screen

Dan Aykroyd will license anything, the music generic amazing blues, interestingly all the artists in the film where deeply unfashionable and the music not popular when it was released, it was partly why Dan came up with the idea, to try and bring the music to screen and to work with legends, who at the time where on the scrap heap

Don't worry all the specs are pretty good

Pinside_forum_8146133_0.png

I might be in, it includes a mechanical knocker

And now the low 🥹
Listing a mechanical knocker as a feature ….
Whyyyyyyyy homepin whyyyyyyyyyyyy

And now the low 🥹
Listing a mechanical knocker as a feature ….
Whyyyyyyyy homepin whyyyyyyyyyyyy
Because most modern pins have electronic knockers, and 'man cave' owners, who aren't interested in pinball, want the more authentic knocker.

Personally, the only time I'd advertise the knockers on a pin is a Carry-On themed one... or, maybe, Baywatch 2.0.

Because most modern pins have electronic knockers, and 'man cave' owners, who aren't interested in pinball, want the more authentic knocker.

Personally, the only time I'd advertise the knockers on a pin is a Carry-On themed one... or, maybe, Baywatch

Stupid man cave owners ruining blues brothers I want to pay 10k for a brilliant blues brothers 🥹

Personally, the only time I'd advertise the knockers on a pin is a Carry-On themed one... or, maybe, Baywatch 2.0.
It being open source we could convert it to an only fans theme, with paid for knocker content. Pay the subscription get the mechanical effect

Back
Top Bottom