What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Blues Brothers… but by HomePin

JustLikeMe

Site Supporter
Well this is very disappointing news.

What a waste of a great theme.

Hey technically the other manufacturers also run a ton of open source software 😂

The US$5000 price tag is an interesting move though.

Guessing with the game being open sourced, no music from the movie
Says its fully Licensed but open source so user software mods can be done, but not 100% sure how open source as it mentions having to register on the forum and none coders using moderator confirmed code.

At least it's cheap.

Imagine the assembly line ................. rollin' rollin' rollin' keep those pinballs rolling..............move 'em out, head 'em up, head 'em up, move 'em on.................................

I just got back from a Blues Brothers live performance in Chicago! That’s a travesty that Stern didn’t get it and it’s going to China !

Attachments

• IMG_5241.jpeg
    IMG_5241.jpeg
    116.7 KB · Views: 10
I wasn’t implying anything about whether it is a free country or not ! I kept the politics out of it . Could have easily gone down the route of referring to it the Trump way as “Chyna” but I didn’t.

Last edited:
I wasn’t implying anything about whether it is a free country or not ! I kept the politics out of it . Could have easily gone down the route of referring to it the Trump was as Chyna” but I didn’t.
Please stop the BS - you meant China as in Peoples Republic of China and NOTHING else! You're just embarrassed and now back peddling because you didn't expect me to comment!

How about we just stick to pinball and the amazing new Blues Brothers machine that will run open source software?

Let's knock off the negative c-r-a-p and see what comes along.

I genuinely couldn’t care less . I was just remarking that a pin based on such an iconic Chicago band should have been made by a Chicago based company. The same as if a pin was released about the Wuhan outbreak with bats, pangolins, lab leaks and wet markets would be better suited to be made by a Chinese outfit such as yourselves 🤣🤣

I genuinely couldn’t care less . I was just remarking that a pin based on such an iconic Chicago band should have been made by a Chicago based company. The same as if a pin was released about the Wuhan outbreak with bats, pangolins, lab leaks and wet markets would be better suited to be made by a Chinese outfit such as yourselves 🤣🤣
Although, the pandemic and subsequent lockdown was a real boom time for pinball manufacturers 🤔

Gary Stern... Earlier...maybe
stern.jpg

Please stop the BS - you meant China as in Peoples Republic of China and NOTHING else! You're just embarrassed and now back peddling because you didn't expect me to comment!

How about we just stick to pinball and the amazing new Blues Brothers machine that will run open source software?

Let's knock off the negative c-r-a-p and see what comes along.
How does warranty work with open source software. Ie someone locks a coil on and sets fire to there machine. Or will the library prevent this sort of abuse and any diversion from the open source library or miss using it will not be covered by warranty?

How does warranty work with open source software. Ie someone locks a coil on and sets fire to there machine. Or will the library prevent this sort of abuse and any diversion from the open source library or miss using it will not be covered by warranty?
It does mention moderators approving code mods for none coders, I guess if you mod the code yourself and it's not approved by a mod and wrecks your pin your on your own to repair it.

Pretty interesting idea, not sure how this is aimed at the casual player, I can't see a casual player buying it for there games room to then start tinkering with the code. Although saying that mario builder sold bucket loads , so I suppose it depends how easy and intuitive the builder is. The price though if it is that, in the UK will definitely drives sales . Blue brothers makes sense for code changes, the film doesn't really have a coherent plot, it's alot of silliness stuck together with amazing music. A fair point about the safety aspect of the general public doing something stupid and setting it on fire 🙄 hopefully the code doesn't allow that.

hmmmm - remember - Homepin want your money (not that I believe it will be $5000 when it lands here)...... Excelllent response from the company owner. Just as I expected.

We got told after Spinal Tap was announced it was hightly unlikely the UK would get any. Of course David is selling them, for £8500 with the topper - which is actually a lower spec model that the none black edition, so I can nto see those selling.

Open source? As @russdx1 says - if a coil gets locked on will hopepin take it on the chin and repair boards on warranty? Is it really open sourced if code has to be approaved? Surely open source means that, put what you like in.

Just in case you need to see the proper meaning:

Let's say you add different music tracks on it - put it on site - that is not legal. It is classed as public performance and requires licensing. Same with video clips. In your own home, yes - no issue but in public places....

Anyway - I am going to see what happens here with our old pal 'deleted member'- Neil if you read this. You are quite correct.

I don't think the news article says code has to be approved, more that code written by a 3rd party has an option to be approved by moderators so none tech people can feel a bit safer installing it.

At least that's my take on it.

Given that good code can save mediocre games the “open source” thing has the potential to be interesting.

Wasn’t colordmd open source so people colourised the dots?

Admittedly there is a huge step up from tweaking someone else’s artwork to writing a new rules set but there are a lot of talented people out there. Does this actually have the potential to see new designers cutting their teeth on games?

I may well have misunderstood the concept though and maybe the “open source” part is only to change audio/visual files and not rules.

Given that good code can save mediocre games the “open source” thing has the potential to be interesting.

Wasn’t colordmd open source so people colourised the dots?

Admittedly there is a huge step up from tweaking someone else’s artwork to writing a new rules set but there are a lot of talented people out there. Does this actually have the potential to see new designers cutting their teeth on games?

I may well have misunderstood the concept though and maybe the “open source” part is only to change audio/visual files and not rules.
The actual layout of the playfield needs to be good in the first place with satisfying shots, no amount of code will fix playfield design problems

Back
Top Bottom