What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best replacement playfield for HS2

Andy B

Site Supporter
Bit of an academic question this one as none of the suppliers seem to have any in stock but wondering if anyone has ever done a The Getaway High Speed 2 playfield swap out for a repro one and can recommend which to get please?

Picked up a HS2 at weekend, absolutely love the game so thinking of doing a full restoration including playfield swap (current one is planking).

As they all seem to be around the £1k mark it would be nice to get some recommendations before I take the plunge so I don’t throw my cash at the wrong one/a duffer!

Thanks

Andy

Looks like they may be in stock and apparently the quality is good! Shame they don't do one for AFM..

edit: Ah, my bad.. currently not available ☹️

Looks like they may be in stock and apparently the quality is good! Shame they don't do one for AFM..

edit: Ah, my bad.. currently not available ☹️
Yep. I was on there this morning and they look great. It doesn’t actually say out of stock but there’s no “Add To Basket” button. Have emailed them to confirm they deffo don’t have any in stock.

Hello Andy.

With all respect - is a Getaway II deserving of a high end restoration.

By the time you throw £1K at it - and probably another £500 in targets and other replacements. Plus many hours of labour..... This is without cab/decals/siderails/legs etc.....

Do you think you will even get your money back?

I wouldnt replace a playfield and not bother with the cab. The funhouse I did for a friend was a hard sell. Would of been a lot easier if I had done the cabinet too.

Whenever I quote to do a restoration now on a non 'A' list game I ask the owner to play the game for a couple of months and then see if they still want to sink all that money into it.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Hello Andy.

By the time you throw £1K at it - and probably another £500 in targets and other replacements. Plus many hours of labour..... This is without cab/decals/siderails/legs etc.....

I wouldnt replace a playfield and not bother with the cab. The funhouse I did for a friend was a hard sell. Would of been a lot easier if I had done the cabinet too.

Whenever I quote to do a restoration now on a non 'A' list game I ask the owner to play the game for a couple of months and then see if they still want to sink all that money into it.

No restoration gets your money back these days, you do it because you love the game not because you'll make a return.

Last edited:
No restoration gets your money back these days, you do it because you love the game not because you'll make a return.

Its good to know before sinking mega money into something you might never get your money back if you want to sell it

Yeah I think the 2 places to get new playfields for HS2 are CPR and Buthamburg and both are unfortunately out of stock.

Buthamburg would be my choice as well. I’ve installed a few of there’s now and the playfields are really nice quality compared to the other 2 main manufacturers.

Peter at Buthamburg has said they are planning on doing another run but I’ve been on the list for well over a year now since I last asked.

Hello Andy.

Come on Phil - you’ve followed my exploits on here for long enough now to know it’s not about the money with me 😊

If I added up all the money I’ve lost restoring machines and then selling them on or building VPins I could probably have paid off half my outstanding mortgage by now.

I’m just really enjoying playing this game but it looks so sorry for itself with a battered faded cab, side rails that are literally falling off and it’s planking playfield that I’d just love to bring it back to its former glory.

Way I’m feeling at the minute it could be a keeper once done.

It’s the challenge for me and a playfield swap out is not something I’ve done before and since as the machine didn’t cost me (relatively) that much and it looks like a fairly easy strip down (famous last words I know) I figure if I do it right I’d be able to sell it on if I do get bored for around £500 more than what I just paid for the game as is so I will sell on and just pretend I didn’t spend £1,500 more on it than the amount I get back and will just put that loss down to the cost of the challenge and for putting a really nice machine back in circulation.

Having said all that, looks like I’m not going to be able to get a new playfield anytime soon as they’re all out of stock ☹️

Come on Phil - you’ve followed my exploits on here for long enough now to know it’s not about the money with me 😊

If I added up all the money I’ve lost restoring machines and then selling them on or building VPins I could probably have paid off half my outstanding mortgage by now.

I’m just really enjoying playing this game but it looks so sorry for itself with a battered faded cab, side rails that are literally falling off and it’s planking playfield that I’d just love to bring it back to its former glory.

Way I’m feeling at the minute it could be a keeper once done.

It’s the challenge for me and a playfield swap out is not something I’ve done before and since as the machine didn’t cost me (relatively) that much and it looks like a fairly easy strip down (famous last words I know) I figure if I do it right I’d be able to sell it on if I do get bored for around £500 more than what I just paid for the game as is so I will sell on and just pretend I didn’t spend £1,500 more on it than the amount I get back and will just put that loss down to the cost of the challenge and for putting a really nice machine back in circulation.

Having said all that, looks like I’m not going to be able to get a new playfield anytime soon as they’re all out of stock ☹️
Fellow HS2 owner, same dilemma. No playfields around no problem....next on the list, pinsound, speaker upgrade and shaker motor.....the problem with this machine is it's fun and so many ways to plough improvements into it. 👍👍👍

I did my FT about 15 years ago when Manny was doing restorations, was not about resale I just wanted it to be the best it could be😎

Most WPC and before restored pins look amazing to me, night and day from a players condition and you enjoy playing them even more.
One I recently played that springs to mind straight away was a HS2 funnily enough that was used in a Welsh league meet recently, I have owned one previously and said I would never have another but after seeing and playing that I’m not so sure!

If you can afford it go for it, you are going to lose money on most pins now anyway especially NIB.

Wait for the right playfield to come along then go for it, I waited about 12 years or so for a FT playfield to be remade (didn’t want a Mirco) still need to fit it though but at least the 2 years it’s been sitting there waiting has shown me it’s settled/cured nicely.

If your not in a rush, I’d contact Peter and get on the list for one from Buthamburg 👍🏻

Ordering for them can “sometimes” save you a bit of money as well.

They correctly remove the German vat and I’ve had occasions where I got hit with customs fees as expected when it arrived but also a few when I didn’t 😁

If your not in a rush, I’d contact Peter and get on the list for one from Buthamburg 👍🏻

Ordering for them can “sometimes” save you a bit of money as well.

They correctly remove the German vat and I’ve had occasions where I got hit with customs fees as expected when it arrived but also a few when I didn’t 😁
After my enquiry, Peter emailed me today requesting address and phone number.

He says they are starting a print run “Hopefully next week” 🤞

Played HS2 at Jason's house for the first time. Never really fancied the look of it but it was great fun!

I have a Hard Top on a High Speed looks spot on. I have been told though make sure you have LEDs fitted as bulb heat can mess with the glue of the Hard Top.

I have a Hard Top on a High Speed looks spot on. I have been told though make sure you have LEDs fitted as bulb heat can mess with the glue of the Hard Top.
Does it cover planking?

No wear I can see on this one but wood is starting to lift in middle of playfield.

Easy to fit?

@Andy B have you checked vids guides on pinside? You could even have the playfield that's in it repaired/touched in and clearcoated or have a go yourself.
Vids also has guides on the hardtops.
Depends how far you want to go really, them lines haven't changed in the few years I've had the machine so I wouldn't worry too much.. as I said I always planned to just try a touch up and fit protector (to be honest I've said I'm going to do alot of stuff to pins and I never do I just end up playing them 🤣)
I need to put a post up about the firepower wear I keep looking at playfields though .. it would be great to have something new and shiney

Edit: here's a link vids:

Last edited:
@Andy B have you checked vids guides on pinside? You could even have the playfield that's in it repaired/touched in and clearcoated or have a go yourself.
Vids also has guides on the hardtops.
Depends how far you want to go really, them lines haven't changed in the few years I've had the machine so I wouldn't worry too much.. as I said I always planned to just try a touch up and fit protector (to be honest I've said I'm going to do alot of stuff to pins and I never do I just end up playing them 🤣)
I need to put a post up about the firepower wear I keep looking at playfields though .. it would be great to have something new and shiney

Edit: here's a link vids:
Cheers Ste.

I just love the look of those shiney new ones though.

It’s such a great game I think I’m gonna go all out mental on this one 😊

P.S. that constant multiball thing we triggered at weekend is actually a glitch in the software apparently - well known issue with code version L-2 apparently. I got it again today and racked up another 300,000,000 score.

Cheers Ste.

I just love the look of those shiney new ones though.

It’s such a great game I think I’m gonna go all out mental on this one 😊

P.S. that constant multiball thing we triggered at weekend is actually a glitch in the software apparently - well known issue with code version L-2 apparently. I got it again today and racked up another 300,000,000 score.

They do look amazing when new 🤩 and yeah it's such a great game the GTA of pinball 😆 seen quite a few members say the same thing they didn't realise how good it was.
Would love to see it fully restored theres so many little mods you can do to it aswell even down to the key start button.

I don't think I've ever seen that before but I do remember a couple of years back my mum playing for quite a while in multiball 🤔 that's probably why 🤣

Interesting read so far.

@Andy B - yeah - I know that you are not in it for the £ but I have people contact me saying they have a mint restored say fish tales and at the end of the day, there is a ceiling to the worth of that machine. People generally do not like being told something they spent 100 hours on and over £2K in parts is only worth a little more than when they started.

Do not have the problem with 'players grade machines'. Up until approx 2005 MOST games around except for the new sterns were ex-arcade. I would rather have one of these - fix it so it all works, enjoy it, then sell it on.

I know this is going to make zero change to the outcome of what you are doing bud!

Back
Top Bottom