What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best game of all time?

Rob zombie

Site Supporter
I’ve only owned it a few hours but I’m going to nominate The Simpson’s Pinball Party. Even despite the horrific faded looking cabinet artwork I’m pretty sure this is the best game of all time. Bowen Kerins has this game in his two machine collection. Is there a better game? (and don’t say Medieval Madness or I’ll pay Martin to punch you)

Yes it's fully loaded. The Wizard mode is difficult to reach. But it does get repetitive. Go for Pretzel multi ball. Collect all the Cletus kids 27 shots through the pop bumpers.
PS
Bowen sold his Simpson when he split from his Wife.

TSPP has a great rule set but mine only lasted a year or two as I found it very stop and go and repetitive to play. Wouldn’t mind another at some point but not a top ten game for me. Also, non-pinhead friends didn’t get on with it at all despite the theme.

I don’t think MM is the best game of all time, but its probably my favourite if that makes sense. It has great flow, it’s incredibly accessible to new players, and it’s just straight fun. It was the second machine my dad bought back when we got into owning pins 15 or 16 years ago, and it’s now one of only two he owns after downsizing a couple of years back. Many, many games came and went but MM lasted the test of time. Still always puts a smile on my face.

As for the best, my current vote is JJP POTC. It’s just incredible in almost every aspect and has helped keep me sane over the past few months. Absolutely love it despite not being a fan of the film franchise.

Edit: The first reply wasn’t visible when I was posting but looks like I’m not the only one who found TSPP repetitive!

Last edited:
Yes it's fully loaded. The Wizard mode is difficult to reach. But it does get repetitive. Go for Pretzel multi ball. Collect all the Cletus kids 27 shots through the pop bumpers.
PS
Bowen sold his Simpson when he split from his Wife.

I have almost no idea what I’m doing at the moment but it’s fun! SO MUCH FUN!! So many different shots and all requiring skill. So many flippers, so many balls. The only thing that drastically lets it down is another decimal point or two on the scoring. Scoring 5mil on this is like scoring 100mil on almost anything else. The scoring is mean and not very rewarding. The exact opposite of say Theatre of Magic.

Women are bad for your pinballs.

Glad you are loving the TSPP @Rob zombie. It is a high risk-reward game. There's hardly anything worth a lot of points on its own, you really have to get at least 4 modes going then both the main multiballs all at once. Finishing said modes builds larger victory laps on every shot where you can rack up some points, but its a tough balance to keep the timer going, keep the modes going (or even starting them, since you are not progressing ones you have already started), and not lose everything.

Things can get completely crazy where you have no idea what's going on. Very fun though.

For me, BSD is the best game, though maybe it'll be surpassed by TWD yet :)

edit; on TSPP being a start-stop. It does feel that way, but once you play it a while you realise those start-stop parts (eg Otto, upper pf) are your lifelines to have some control when things blow up

Always found TSPP a hard slog. Games just seem to last forever. Glad you’re enjoying it though.

As for the best, my current vote is JJP POTC. It’s just incredible in almost every aspect and has helped keep me sane over the past few months. Absolutely love it despite not being a fan of the film franchise.
These seem to basically never come up for sale. Is it because there are very few in the UK, or because people just don't want to move them on?

very few made. IF JJP never make any more these machines are going to become very valuable.

very few made. IF JJP never make any more these machines are going to become very valuable.
Seem to remember I read somewhere that the license expired so there wouldn't be another production run.

It's a shame because from what I've seen it looks like an amazing game. Don't understand why they didn't make more...

These seem to basically never come up for sale. Is it because there are very few in the UK, or because people just don't want to move them on?

Think it's a bit of both to be honest. Don't seem to be many around though.

Seem to remember I read somewhere that the license expired so there wouldn't be another production run.

It's a shame because from what I've seen it looks like an amazing game. Don't understand why they didn't make more...

I don't think another production run can be ruled out at this point, the demand seems to be there in the States and JJP aren't afraid to rerun older titles with a new art package. As for why they didn't make more - the game was originally shown with two mechs that didn't make it into the production version. There was a fair amount of kickback over these changes, particularly the move from three spinning discs to one, and apparently a fairly significant number of pre-orders were cancelled. I read that they made around 1000 or so, but by the time they were getting out there and people were realising how good the game is they'd curtailed production due to initially low demand.

Another factor is that the game is pretty complex mechanically and loads of them shipped with fairly major issues that required a lot of tweaking, which caused JJP some headaches. Running games that are prone to errors on the manufacturing line isn't ideal, so coupled with low initial demand they seem to have decided to just cut their losses and move on to Wonka.

It didn't seem to use a great deal of assets from the films, so don't see that it would be too difficult for them to rebadge it to 'Jersey Jack's Pirates' if they wanted to do another run without the licence.

Back
Top Bottom