What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Battery damaged board

huggers

Site Supporter
Alias
Andy Hug
Met a really nice chap who's just got himself a lovely Creature from the Black Lagoon. It's got a few switch issues and other minor problems but boots up. I checked the boards and there's a fair bit of leakage from the old batteries. What's the best course of action with this? Pic below

PXL_20240327_133924545.jpg

Move your Roms over, and pick up one of these to GENTLY transfer the ASIC over...

Board out, batteries out and clean with diluted white vinegar. Once all evidence of leak has gone flush with water, dry thoroughly and leave in airing cupboard until completely dry. Then test as there may well be damage to tracks. I've seen worse and fixed.

Use a remote battery holder.

David

Thanks guys, so really is it worth trying to clean the existing board with vinegar etc, or easier just to get a Rocket CPU?

Move your Roms over, and pick up one of these to GENTLY transfer the ASIC over...

Pretty sure the ASIC puller is included.

For reliability and good use of time, the new board is the best option. That isn't to say that it's not salvageable, I have a few here that are fixed but everywhere that stuff has touched is now degraded. If someone isn't changing their batteries regularly, are they going to want to troubleshoot future switch issues.

I think you need to buy an NVRAM for the board, @myPinballs sells them, then there is no need for batteries.

If you want to learn about fixing pinball machines then try to fix it. If you don't then buy a new board and offer the old board to someone that would like a spare and wants to try to fix problems.

David

If you're considering repair, remove the affected chips, as that leakage will have got underneath. They're for the switch matrix; the larger one drives the switch columns, the two smaller 'comparator' chips each monitor four rows.

If you're considering repair, remove the affected chips, as that leakage will have got underneath. They're for the switch matrix; the larger one drives the switch columns, the two smaller 'comparator' chips each monitor four rows.
...and fit sockets.

David

Can I just say them kodak battery's are terrible I messaged another member on here about them.. we had them leak acid in a tv remote within a couple of weeks then I went round checking daughters toys they all leaked 😫

Back
Top Bottom