What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Banzai Alpha Numeric Display - System 11

DRD

Registered
Player 1 has completely died. It happened after I moved the game

If I swap over the ribbon cables for Player 1 and Player 2, I can see that the driver board and ribbon cables are OK. The ptoblem therefore seems specific to Player 1's 7 digit alpha numeric panel or the wiring from the ribbon cable pins onwards

I replaced the Player 2 display earlier in the year. It is an horrendous job ...
  • Banzai has a unique display set up
  • The 2x 7 digit alpha numeric panels are soldered in, removal requires cutting them out or desoldering
  • Desoldering the display panel is extremely fiddly and risks board damage
  • LED replacement is unobtanium/ mega money. You have to buy the complete display unit for 4 players including the white panel with the GI and computer controlled bulbs in
Other than testing continuity, cleaning pins ... is there anything else I can do to test the Player 1 before I swap it for a new part ?

Thanks

I've not actually seen the workings of a Banzai first-hand (my old works had turned it down when Deith Leisure delivered one new), but the display driver board is the same as that used in the early system 11 games, such as High Speed, Road Kings, etc. As such, there's nothing else but the display envelopes on that combined circuit board, as regards display circuitry. So I don't think there's very much alternative to changing the envelope.

David, there is a parts for sale thread from Dr Pinball and it looks like he has a Banzai that is being parted out. Drop him a message.

Thanks for the suggestions

I have a complete donor banzai display panel with the gi and driver board etc. The absolute b1tch is that it is the two alpha numeric panels on my original that have failed this year. These are about usd 65 a pop. I do have a NOS spare in stock though. I will not know whether it works until I have soldered it in though.

I might do a "why banzai is mad" thread. Someone took a huge punt allowing a first time designer to produce a game with so many unique elements

• Unique backbox design
  • Unique marquee shape
  • unique backglass size
  • Vertical pf
  • Unique interconnect board that you can't even access to deal with it having two playfields
  • Some switches are doubled up, so the same wiring goes to a switch on the upper and liwer pf as you cannot have balls flying round both at the same time
  • Unique speaker arrangement
  • Unique light panel/ display arrangement
  • Display panels are soldered in rather than the better board mounted (easy to change) ones williams used elsewhere
  • Horrendous to move
  • Very east to snap things if you fold the backbox down without doing things in the right order
This thing is like a custom build. Must have cost a fortune in its day. Other Williams games from this era were, in my opinion, better than the data east, gottlieb, bally competition anyway. Lord knows why they made it

It's from the days when the current crop of designers were young and willing to push the boat out.

Regarding breaking the ball the lift, there is a setting that parks the lift half way up. Slows the game down a tad as the lift has to drop first when it goes to lift the ball but well worth it IMO.

For reference list price was £1850 plus vat swords of fury £2200 plus vat banzai . one design rule was game stood no higher that any previous game ie high speed with dome. it's an absolute blast . the sound track is awesome . stand alone pin? madness . part of a collection it's brilliant . it gobbled money on some sites but sold poor due to extra cost. one reason swords was rushed out. obviously WMS saw something in Pat or there would be no Earthshaker and onwards

Me with brand new Banzai 1989 and my current one just after purchase 2000 in a press promo for POA show at NIA

Reactions: DRD
Well, I got her going again. First time thank heaven.

Tested continuity first, all seemed Ok. Then desoldered the dead display which did not put up a fight. NOS installed (dated 1994 !!!). Quite a fiddly job, but not too bad really.

Banzai

sold to Dave Kingston end of show £250. Police Force sold to PUP as his first game (as seen at recent shows) £100 Jackbot (was NIB old stock - unboxed a fortnight before) unsold at £300 - swapped next week for HUO Funhouse. Getaway unsold £200. went for export week after. Picked up a Radical end of show for £100. different times.

sold to Dave Kingston end of show £250. Police Force sold to PUP as his first game (as seen at recent shows) £100 Jackbot (was NIB old stock - unboxed a fortnight before) unsold at £300 - swapped next week for HUO Funhouse. Getaway unsold £200. went for export week after. Picked up a Radical end of show for £100. different times.
Wow. Pinball really was on skid row. Working pins unsold for a few hundred quid. Even counting for inflation that's mad. And a RADICAL for £100... <sob>

Back
Top Bottom