What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bally / Williams Speaker Upgrade

MartinY

Registered
Any suggestions on upgrade speakers for a Bally / Williams (fronts and sub)? Both WPC95 and DCS (presumably both the same?). Thanks!

I would also be interested to know if they made a noticeable difference?

Without going into details about the upgrades , or type , make of speakers I use (as they are almost always designed to the individuals needs, i.e sub sizes can be 6" 8" 10" they may have a crossover or not, tweeters can be added so can amplifiers and remote volume controls, commonly called l-pads. Speakers can be dual cone , 2 way or 3way.....etc...etc...

But one thing I can say for sure whatever upgrade you choose there is always a noticeable sound quality difference. Most obvious features as follows......
1) the replacement speakers have a much wider frequency range than the originals...so without using hyperbole you will notice the following...sounds much clearer than before, call outs are clearer against other sounds...plus it is also common to hear sounds that are embedded on the sound roms that the original speakers reproduce very poorly or sometimes not at all!....
2) replacement speakers if chosen correctly also have a higher sensitivity than the originals.(this is measured in db/watt metre.) allowing for louder volumes without clipping(or distortion as it's more commonly known). In simple terms clearer sound at higher volumes.
3) with a 8" or 10" sub and passive crossover more bass is reproduced...tweeters can be added in the cabinet to give a "throw" effect for the higher frequencies....if you like a lot more bass then you will need to use an l-pad to fade off the backbox speakers a bit.....that's the basics covered I think.....

Hope this helps any questions just ask.........

Back
Top Bottom