What's new

BALLY SPACE INVADERS - POWER SUPPLY

Kilgore

Registered
Alias
Dave
Ive just picked up a space invaders which is completely missing its power supply and driver board. Basically everything is missing from the power supply area in the base of the machine including the loom up to the boards.

Id ideally like to buy a complete power with loom and board. Has anybody got anything spare by any chance?

cheers

Dave

the driver board is in the head,I assume you mean the rectifier board and transformer in the base of the cabinet on the metal plate?
you can buy replacement rectifier boards that will be up to the job,you don't need an exact original part these days,if you have patience/skills you could make up a new loom,once you source a transformer and board,all the info is in the schematics avaliable online

the driver board is in the head,I assume you mean the rectifier board and transformer in the base of the cabinet on the metal plate?
you can buy replacement rectifier boards that will be up to the job,you don't need an exact original part these days,if you have patience/skills you could make up a new loom,once you source a transformer and board,all the info is in the schematics avaliable online

Thanks for that, sadly i dont have the skills. i am not familiar with this era game at all. Thanks for the info though and yes i do mean the rectifier and transformer on the metal plate. Ill have a google for the rectifier board. Im still hoping some kind person has a complete setup lurking in a box somewhere :cool:

Welcome to projects @Kilgore ! You're in a very similar situation to my current VECTOR project, it too was missing the transformer, some of the cable looms and some of the looms supplied were from different games! I bought a transformer from Ebay and a similar era loom from a kind member on here that I've been adapting to purpose. I had a complete VECTOR sitting right next to it to help and it's still a challenge (but fun). My shop log on here will give you a flavour of what you're up against;
http://www.pinballinfo.com/community/threads/viva-lost-vector.29530/

It sounds like you're missing (at least) what Bally calls "A2 Power Transformer Module", which is the mounting plate, transformer and rectifier board. There are several Bally transformers, I'd start hunting one of these down. If that has gone other parts may have been pilfered if this had become a spares machine.
http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Bally/Stern#Transformers

I'm not sure what your motivation was for taking on a project, its rewarding bringing machines back from the dead but can be costly in time and £££ vs sensible purchases of complete examples.

1531816982473.png

Welcome to projects @Kilgore ! You're in a very similar situation to my current VECTOR project, it too was missing the transformer, some of the cable looms and some of the looms supplied were from different games! I bought a transformer from Ebay and a similar era loom from a kind member on here that I've been adapting to purpose. I had a complete VECTOR sitting right next to it to help and it's still a challenge (but fun). My shop log on here will give you a flavour of what you're up against;
http://www.pinballinfo.com/community/threads/viva-lost-vector.29530/

It sounds like you're missing (at least) what Bally calls "A2 Power Transformer Module", which is the mounting plate, transformer and rectifier board. There are several Bally transformers, I'd start hunting one of these down. If that has gone other parts may have been pilfered if this had become a spares machine.
http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Bally/Stern#Transformers

I'm not sure what your motivation was for taking on a project, its rewarding bringing machines back from the dead but can be costly in time and £££ vs sensible purchases of complete examples.

View attachment 68045

Thanks for the info there, ill take a look at your build thread too.

The motivation was that ive always hankered after a space invaders, i know they aren't considered the best playing machines but i just love the look and it was made the year i was born. i've had a play field on our dining room wall for a few years because of the art style, ive been on the look out for one and then a friend put me on to this one. Was relatively cheap and seems to me at least in pretty damn good shape. A little mylar issue here and there but overall for its age from what i can see minus the power stuff complete.

I'm not really even sure what these go for now, prices of dmd era stuff has gone crazy i'm assuming these games have gone up a little too. I had an opportunity to buy a space invaders at one of the daventry meets a few years back for £400 i think fully working :rolleyes: ha!

28518072387_96829256cd_k.jpg

41579530810_3fdcf1a57e_k.jpg

42483529085_95a721f3ea_k.jpg

i didnt take a pic of the boards in the head but they all seem present and correct

that playfield looks pretty good,don't be tempted to just yank at that unstuck mylar though,you could lift the paint,some people use freeze spray to remove it,plenty of stuff on line and videos on you tube showing you how to

The playfield looks pretty good and the cab :)
Have a spare cab here but have nothing like that in it I am afraid..
Need to get back on and sort my cab out :hmm:

Best of luck, I will hopefully be picking a SI up this weekend, in a lot worse condition than that. :(

that playfield looks pretty good,don't be tempted to just yank at that unstuck mylar though,you could lift the paint,some people use freeze spray to remove it,plenty of stuff on line and videos on you tube showing you how to

thanks for the heads up, ive looked online at the removing guides. im inclined to leave alone, trim the bits off that have lifted and reapply some fresh. what do you think?

it can be tricky to stick back down the existing stuff if you lift it to trim the edges,plus you will have a join which may effect ball travel,Ive never tried joining old and new myself,but I know others have with varying results

oh and dont use a stanley knife across the playfield on the already stuck down stuff,I looked a fathom once where someone had done that and the paint had started to wear on the edge of the cut as it had marked the playfield

The armoy one ?

Looks well grisly, good luck with your project

I picked that one up . Playfield has no wear ,and everything is mostly all there
Except lockdown bar ,a couple of he round bumper tops and def needs legs replaced .
I’ll stick up my own thread at some stage

Fair play, I had agreed a price with him and was collecting Saturday, but he said his Dad sold it.
Best of luck with it.

Back
Top Bottom