What's new

Gone to Ebay Bally Skateball project.

These folk have it up for 300 now. It looks like my visit and the earlier one by the friend of @pintableuser got them all excited. Hot property a completely knackered game.

The folk have relisted the knackered Skateball with a price increase to £500 !!! Different photos, but same sellers.

They have now taken it home so that the more convivial photographic environment can emphasise the subtle beauty of this game. You can now see with the benefit of daylight how damp the conditions were it was stored in and the effect this had on the manual, the corroded internals, the true horror of the blue paint job, the "held together by sticky back plastic" back glass, how corroded even the playfield screws are, the (sun bleached ?) knackered pops and lane guides, significant cabinet damage ....

As an aside, what do you do you have to do the the red plastic lane guides at the top of the game to make them turn completely white ? The poppers are similarly incredibly aged by apparent uv damage. I have seen pinballs left outside at places like campsites in Southern France that were totally ruined by uv damage, bleached into oblivion. So I wonder if this poor skateball led an outdoor life in a sunny environment. We have just replaced our garden clothes airer, it took about 20 years of uk sunlight to turn its plastics white and brittle.

It is next to a pile of logs, so I wonder if this is a vision of its future.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RARE-1980...142?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item5b108849a6

Last edited:
I like how it's described as a 'good restoration project'. Perhaps 'Expensive Restoration Project' might be a better description?

A real shame but I doubt anyone will pry this from their hands now. They clearly think it's worth more than it actually is, especially given the amount of money it will need to make it nice.

I've had quite in depth discussions with the guy about it and he just doesn't want to let it go at a price that would give someone the opportunity to bring it back from the dead. I have a feeling the line in his listing about not offering him £100 to take it off his hands might be aimed at me :rofl:

He'll either get really lucky and someone will pay over the odds, keep it in his showroom as something to look at (which is what he told me) or just keep re-listing it over and over.....I might shoot him another cheeky offer :D

Given that the completely knackered skateball is a 300 machine on ebay. A merely knackered viking has to be a 400 machine

So I paid 350 for it :cuckoo:

Err.. what? @DRD you're confusing me! :confused: Is this early morning humour or did you really offer £350 and that's why it's been removed?

I did not buy that piece of cr@p. but mad prices, mad games, mad scores ..... It's all pinball. Viking had a knackered playfield and back glass - too far gone for me, and too much money for a scrapper.

And eBay makes it worse, a hive of dishonesty.

But it looked like a seller with a number of games, so he probably knew what he was doing.

Contrast with the folk selling skateball. Who are not really selling it at all. They know nowt about pinball, think they have discovered a genuine Magna Carta, think everyone is lying to them, and think that being knackered adds to its authenticity. After all, who would put a repro plastics set on a magna carta ? And a genuine Magna Carta with an original manual, with genuine patina. TRIPLE JACKPOT !!!!!!!!!

The Skateball seller is a mong, i asked him to lift up the backglass and couldn't do it :~

Mr skateball knows how to remove lockdown bar, glass, backglass and open the light panel.

He watched me do this in his warehouse

He also knows it does not work as he saw me cleaning and testing its fuses.

I got inside it ok, it was not locked

He is a timewaster.

That game is FUBAR

Why would he want to do anything which just proves how bad a state it's in?

Seems he wants to keep the blinkers on now in the hope he can get more money for it than it's really worth.

Shame.

So how much are we thinking he actually paid for it, he's getting desperate now and lowered it to £250 BIN

I offered £100, was swiftly rejected.

I've offered this numerous times and had a chat with the guy as well. The lowest he'd come down to is £200 even after I explained the cost and amount of work involved in saving this game and that he's selling to a very small group of people who have the time and skills to fix it (and that these people know what the game is worth). He kept telling me he'd rather keep it than sell it for what it's actually worth and that it would make a nice display piece for his shop.....but then he bangs it back up on Ebay and goes through the same cycle of price reduction until it doesn't sell again. Either he'll get bored and accept an offer eventually or they'll be an antiques shop in Rotherham with a manky Skateball in the window :rofl:

It'll sell on ebay (probably for more than £300) as someone out there with little skills will THINK that they have got a bargain and that it'll be a "fuse" - to find it isnt..... :(

When I saw in the shop I was not prepared to put any bid on it as it would have filthed up my vehicle getting it home. And it would also filth up whatever room you put it in. Just touching it makes you feel dirty

So where is this machine residing now as I am quite close to that area and could go and take some pics ?

I honestly wouldn't waste your time :) @DRD has already been to see it and it's a mess. I put a breakdown somewhere in this thread I think on what I reckon it would cost in parts to restore this.

Reactions: DRD
@DRD is also not that far away and has already been to view and apraised the machine. It didn't make for very nice reading. Certainly not one that will be cheap to restore.

I apologise for asking.....:rolleyes:

:D I think the game is back at the guys house now in Rotherham somewhere. It was at his antiques warehouse but he took it home to take better pics of it or something :cuckoo:

Back
Top Bottom