What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

In Progress Bally PowerPlay

Yeah - the new plastic covers seem to have it written the right way up whereas they didn’t originally. I noticed when we rebuilt the flippers also - one of the mini flippers it has the connecting surround upside down compared to the other three and the mechs sit opposite sides up from each other.

So once rebuilt and turning on I have run out of holiday to work on it, back to work and I defer the final stages of getting it going to @Moonraker - I have not the first clue on diagnosing and correcting electrical faults so trusting it to a pro.

Massive thanks to @Moonraker who unbeknownst to me has spent evenings and weekends - 15 hours over the last few weeks to get PowerPlay playable(!) last I’d known; I’d given him a laundry list of things I reckon needed doing to get it running and asked if he could do it over the next few weeks..

Fit new fuse.
Adjust up-post to smoothly work.
Make sure roll over lights work.
Dremel crusty lamp holders to stop flickering on a few bulbs.
Find and fix why bulb popping.
Solder bits to new power and lamp boards and fit.
Fit new @new forest pinball speaker.

He reeled somewhat at the list and joked he’d be probably able to do all that by Christmas …

… Then the next week he said he wasn’t joking when he said Christmas ...

We agreed to talk about it next time I was at the club - perhaps it could be done around end of Oct.

I didn’t get a peep of knowledge to hear that he’d diagnosed and fixed two shorts on rollovers, fitted a circuit breaker, replaced capacitors/little electrical bits on the sound board, re pinned connectors, and got the machine working - and then put his own high score on there of 600 odd thousand playtesting it.

I went down to the club after a draining first few weeks back of work, with the expectation that PowerPlay was still tombstoned out of sight and wouldn’t be able to get to it til around Christmas.

I had no idea this would be the first night I get to play one again since about 25 years ago and was totally shocked and delighted when I saw it set up to play!

The inlanes glide well to the flippers (a concern when fitting the new playfield) the pops fire with gusto and it looks a million dollars with the backglass over playfield again. The rollovers are a tad stiff as new, but does sometimes change the ball path in fun and unexpected ways. The upper flippers require lighting fast reactions to hit the drops just as I remember.

It was great to be able to play it again! There’s still a few bits to go to finish it off with a odd error where the up-post only lights when flipper are being flipped and flippers are active even at end of game - and a coil locked on during a 2-player game putting it out of action after a bit - but no doubt it’ll get sorted. With everything we’ve done to this game it must be like major surgery and it’s well on the mend.

Like you do at a car mechanics - we looked through the tray of all the small electrical shrapnel @Moonraker has taken out and replaced to get to running again - while you mind reels at the cost it’s taken to get it sorted - it’s a similar to the relief of being able to drive home from the mechanics rather than getting towed to the scrap heap - it’s great to see it stood proudly in residence at Special When Lit - it was no small effort to get it here and required a whole bunch of support - Big thanks to @Moonraker for all his help with it, Cat my Wifey with all the painting, soldering and patience, @new forest pinball for guidance support and parts, @AlanJ for parts, @MajesticPinball for advice - and loads of other people I’ve bought bits from or queried about it.

Attachments

• IMG_0505.jpeg
    IMG_0505.jpeg
    150.5 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_0579.jpeg
    IMG_0579.jpeg
    147 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_0581.jpeg
    IMG_0581.jpeg
    168.2 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_0580.jpeg
    IMG_0580.jpeg
    143.7 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_0585.jpeg
    IMG_0585.jpeg
    194.6 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
Little job the other day: Fitted some new bulb holders from @new forest pinball and lit up all three of the plastic inserts on the coin door. 20min job.

Since September Bobby Orr's been at Special When Lit. Most Friday nights up til Christmas something went wrong and it'd get switched off but @Moonraker would get it going again ready for next Friday/the Classics Comp etc. It's playing nicer at the moment I reckon, though it has been playing pretty tough. Some finishing touches to do:

1. Repining connectors/fitting a few new boards.
2. Fitting a few new leaf switches for the buttons.
3. Fitting a lit button mod.
4. Repainting the scoreboard.
4b. Refit Chimes so can have chimes or eletronic sounds.
5. Make sure it's at a more friendly hight (I've put a few planks under the rear legs.. It's a bit mean).

New Lit Coin Door.JPG

Back
Top Bottom