What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bally Popeye restore/repair? toot! toot! (Pics Added)

ronnie63

Site Supporter
Right at last managed to set this up! I knew it had switch matrix problems and battery cpu leak! But F114 was blown I replaced that and +12v led is now lit but still no response from coin door switches? pin is stuck in factory setting restored screen and I can't press escape to clear that.

Now the cpu is booting but I have green stuff on all the legs below the battery area but plugs look good as do the pins.

Before I dig the box out will a Hurricane cpu board suit popeye?

Cheers guys
Ronnie

Right cpu replaced only thing the Hurricane cpu does not have the bank of dips!

Anyway now able to get the game running but still have switch issues most obvious is the ball trough, nothing registers and the receiver board led is not lit but the sender one is, so about to check the wiring as looks like some glue stuff was added to the plug!

Bit of a learning curve I forgot or never knew opto's register as closed so thought I had nearly a whole column stuck.

Seems a lot of other switches are not registering, slingshots for starters but another switch is triggering those for some reason? not sure if related to trough or not?

Thanks Mike, made good progress I just have one phantom opto in the ball trough so need to strip that out and check the header pins otherwise the matrix is all good now. To be fair for a garage find the playfield is fairly clean.

Cheers Ronnie

Right I know how we all like pics so here are a couple for now. Pin has potential to be a very nice example with a few lumps out of the cab near one front and one back leg, Obviously it will be worth way more than the sarge's example!

DSC05584.JPGDSC05585.JPGDSC05586.JPGDSC05587.JPGDSC05588.JPGDSC05589.JPG

Cpu board was booting but no response from door switches! lots of green fluff! guessing one or more of the LM399 bad.

Trying to decide if it's worth the time to clean up this board and repair it? Lucky I had a spare.

DSC05591.JPG

Looks in decent shape. The Animal target plastic on the mini playfield looks intact.

You are missing the all important posts and lane dividers at the Swee Pea ramp though. I did have spares but just sold them unfortunately.

And get the horrible flat Bluto face out and the much better 3D one in :thumbs:

Looks in decent shape. The Animal target plastic on the mini playfield looks intact.

You are missing the all important posts and lane dividers at the Swee Pea ramp though. I did have spares but just sold them unfortunately.

You will have to enlighten me on the posts? are they missing or a mod? Would love the 3D head looks way better

You will have to enlighten me on the posts? are they missing or a mod? Would love the 3D head looks way better

The dividers are attached to the metal assembly , they sit behind the 2 posts- without them the ball can activate the wrong opto ...and so basically navigating thru the maze to find Swee Pea becomes impossible.

You can get the assembly here ...

https://www.pinballspareparts.com.a...lly-parts/popeye-saves-the-earth/a-17769.html

The posts are threaded and screw into the ramp.

For some reason the posts were often removed by ops, then the lane dividers would get hammered and break off.

View attachment 85237

The dividers are attached to the metal assembly , they sit behind the 2 posts- without them the ball can activate the wrong opto ...and so basically navigating thru the maze to find Swee Pea becomes impossible.

You can get the assembly here ...

https://www.pinballspareparts.com.a...lly-parts/popeye-saves-the-earth/a-17769.html

The posts are threaded and screw into the ramp.

For some reason the posts were often removed by ops, then the lane dividers would get hammered and break off.

Would have never noticed that lol, I hate ordering from the states but will put it on my to do list:thumbs:

All installed now many thanks for the parts but where is the 3D Pluto head to be found???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a plan for a DIY of the sweet pea dividers! But now I have the pin in a working state I need to leave it for now and go back to the unfinished LW3! It's been sat for over a year nearly done!

Small head scratcher, I re pinned and re plugged the GI connectors on the driver board which restored the backbox but nothing on the playfield! Apart from the pop bumpers? First thing I did was pull the fuses and check them but they are ok?

I followed the manual for the wire colours and pin numbers as they were fairly melted.

DSC05649.JPGDSC05650.JPGDSC05650.JPGDSC05649.JPGDSC05650.JPG

Back
Top Bottom