What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

In Progress Bally Corvwrecked (Corvette) Pinball Restoration

Only managed to get a little bit done last night.

Before

20161101_084033.jpg

20161101_084047.jpg
20161101_084042.jpg

And after Replicas had fitted a new ramp entry and i had rebuilt it with new plastics, screws etc and flame polished it

20170209_221509.jpg
20170209_221522.jpg

20170209_221534.jpg

Will hopefully grab a beer or two and crack on later this evening after work and get the ramp installed and wireforms all fitted!

Dunc

Well last night, i managed to pretty much complete the the playfield. The top side is about finished and everything is bolted onto the underside. All that is to do now is sort the wiring loom out, clean it, fit new targets and buld holders where needed (prob most tbh!) and put it on! Really pleased ive managed to get it back together as this is the first time ive done this!

Heres some pics :D

20170211_085006.jpg 20170211_084513.jpg 20170211_084622.jpg 20170211_084634.jpg 20170211_084650.jpg 20170211_084657.jpg 20170211_084803.jpg 20170211_084836.jpg 20170211_084851.jpg 20170211_084903.jpg 20170211_084912.jpg 20170211_084932.jpg 20170211_085025.jpg 20170211_085035.jpg

So, tomorrow, i shall get the loom out the cabinet and see whats needed and get a list together!

Dunc

Fantastic work - such a fast pace too.

I'm ashamed of how long it's taking to get mine sorted out.

Fantastic work - such a fast pace too.

I'm ashamed of how long it's taking to get mine sorted out.

Thank you mate! It's taking longer than it looks, trust me! I have periods where I don't do anything for weeks!

Gorgeous. I so want this game.
Just in case I haven't said it enough. Dibs :thumbs:

Haha! Cheers matey! IF I ever sell, I shall be heading ur direction first :D

I have an LT-5 ramp protector if you want it mate

brilliant! cheers! I've PMed you

you might want to add the drop targets in stead of the stand - ups
http://www.pinrepair.com/wms/corvette.htm

Cheers again, I shall have a look at those!

This is truly amazing and inspiring. Good work fellah!

Thanks! Its been a hard job to do! Wouldn't look half this good without the help of the forum!

beautiful photography skills

Thanks! Used to be a photographer and had an interest in it. These were actually just taken using my S6 Edge!

Dunc

@Dunc nice work mate, game is looking great :thumbs:

Ahh cheers mate! Hopefully it all works when back together lol

great to see a lower end title being restored to this quality done for the love and not the money good on you mate

@chris b , cheers, it's my first machine I bought years ago, and I like a challenge! So worth saving and restoring in my eyes lol :-D

Ok, so tonight, I removed the playfield wiring from the cab and head...
20170213_222314.jpg

Next up, cleaning! I am however a little nervous as I currently have all little tags on where each part goes!

Is it easy enough to work out what goes where if I take the tags off to wash the loom??

Dunc

Are there any coils still hooked up to the loom Dunc or is it just the switches and targets?

Are there any coils still hooked up to the loom Dunc or is it just the switches and targets?

All Coils were taken off the loom originally when i first stripped the playfield. So just switches and targets....tbh, the targets will get replaced as they arent looking new enough lol. Why you ask? :)

Dunc

Just curious.

Although it's partly because so far i've only cleaned mine with wipes. There's still a fair few coils hooked up to mine though so i'm wondering if it would be a good idea to desolder them before I think about slinging the whole lot in the bath.

Although from what i've heard it should be ok with coils still connected just as long as it's dried thoroughly afterwards. The coil wrappers will obviously suffer a bit in the wet but i'm replacing those anyway.

Sounds to me like pretty much everything can be left connected just so long as you air and dry it thoroughly afterwards.

ahh right. Well, on corvette, i had to take the coils off as the wires went through the playfield if that makes sence. Through holes that the coils wouldnt fit through lol.

If you look on the previous page, you will see my coils were all put through the dishwasher. Not a problem as long as they are dried properly like you say.

Dunc

Our dishwasher seems to kick out some real heat and the programs run for almost 2 hours. I'm actually really hesitant to put anything in there at all.

However, i've just been and checked and I swear i'm going crazy. Having checked I find that I don't have any coils still hooked up to the loom at all.

Things that are connected still:

1. Rollover switches
2. Various bulb holders including some for GI and the flashers
3. Various targets which have similar sensors on them to those you find on the pop bumpers and so on.

So with that in mind it's probably safe to say I can strip all the bulbs out of their sockets and stick the lot in the bath.

Our dishwasher seems to kick out some real heat and the programs run for almost 2 hours. I'm actually really hesitant to put anything in there at all.

However, i've just been and checked and I swear i'm going crazy. Having checked I find that I don't have any coils still hooked up to the loom at all.

Things that are connected still:

1. Rollover switches
2. Various bulb holders including some for GI and the flashers
3. Various targets which have similar sensors on them to those you find on the pop bumpers and so on.

So with that in mind it's probably safe to say I can strip all the bulbs out of their sockets and stick the lot in the bath.

exactly what im doing with mine ;)

Dunc

Look forward to the update Dunc.

Erm, and here is what might be a stupid question. If you've stripped all the coil wrappers off to stick them in the dish washer, then how do you know which coil is which when it comes to taking them out?

I kept all the different coils together in seperate boxes, and then when loading them in the dishwasher, i placed all the coils bunched together of each sort with a bit of paper saying what bunch of coils was what and took a photo. Then obviously removed the paper once i had taken the picture and shut the dishwasher and off i went! Once clean, i could refer back to the pic to see which coils were where in the dishwasher and then put them back into each box ready to label up :D Hope that makes sence haha

Dunc

Sounds sensible. I presume for heavy parts like coils there's less chance of them moving around.

I did contemplate sticking the skirts and bumper bodies in but as it turns out a good spray with Ciff and a scrub with a toothbrush and scouring bad has brought them up pretty nice. I had visions of them bouncing around inside the dishwasher because they're relatively lightweight; as it turns out I don't need to do them that way now.

I'll probably strip the coil wrappers off first just to make sure everything sparkles. The ones i've done so far have all been cleaned by hand; this way will be much faster.

OK, so I took the plunge (in water taa daa! OK I'll get my coat) and cleaned my wiring loom.

First off I split it into 3. The lighting loom, switch loom and coil loom. This is very easy to do on this machine (guessing most bally williams are similar). I kept each loom zip tied together as to take off ALL the ties would be crazy...have wires everywhere lol.

First part separated and into the bath
20170219_184544.jpg

After getting recommended to use Cillet Bang in the bath and rinse with water, this is exactly what I did!
20170219_194118.jpg

A good scrub after and they have come up amazingly well! Very suprised! Deffo use this method again!

Hung out to dry in the spare bedroom...note before our new carpet comes in the next few weeks! Would be a no go in the house drying if it was down already!
20170220_182438.jpg

Dunc

@bartron very kindly said he had a spare LT5 ramp protector lying about and said I could have it! Very kind matey! It arrived over the weekend just gone :-D

20170220_200508.jpg

Took the sticker off as it was tatty, gave it a good going over with the buffing wheel and got it fitted
20170220_202137_001.jpg

Very pleased! Fits very well and looks the part too!

Next update will be flipping the playfield over and fitting the wiring loom I guess!

Dunc

I like that. I also like the many rotisserie designs I see on here, if I was more of a fixer/restorer, I'd definitely get one. Well done sir.

Back
Top Bottom