What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ball launcher firing unexpectedly

domlouis

Registered
So I have bought a no fear which arrived with a couple of weird features.
First up is that between games the ball launcher decides to launch a ball or two on the playfield when the game has ended. It also does it when the game is first turned on.
I initially thought that it was related to the game looking for balls as the game came with 3 instead of the needed 4. But its not that as it continues to do it with 4 balls installed.
Any idea where to look? Problem with a switch in the ball trough? Problem somewhere else?

I could only locate 3 balls to start with. I was getting a missing pinball message on startup . I have added one to get to the required 4. I don't get the startup message. No dot.

So I have bought a no fear which arrived with a couple of weird features.
First up is that between games the ball launcher decides to launch a ball or two on the playfield when the game has ended. It also does it when the game is first turned on.
I initially thought that it was related to the game looking for balls as the game came with 3 instead of the needed 4. But its not that as it continues to do it with 4 balls installed.
Any idea where to look? Problem with a switch in the ball trough? Problem somewhere else?

The game needs to put the balls in the right place so it self loads when the balls are not in the right place, typically after a multiball where they have all drained and when you first switch the machine on. If it fails to get the ball in the lock fire the under playfield ball then it will keep trying until it does.

So it sounds to me like fairly normal operation for no fear....

Thank you for the explanation. Thats helpful.

Yes I think there is a problem with the optos under the playfield as it fires the ball even with one under the playfield already.

Whats the score with the number of balls under the playfield? It often ends up with two or even three balls on top of each other with the coil trying to fire then and unsurprisingly it fails to do so during a game. I am presuming that one of the optos under is failing to detect the passage of a ball.

Now you have provided more information, I would suspect that switch 41 is either not working or intermittent and as previously stated probably needs a clean. Put it in switch test and see if it can detect the ball or not. Leave it on switch test for several minutes both with and without a ball to see if the state of switch 41 changes for that intermittent fault.

I tested the optos individually yesterday after cleaning them. They all seemed to work fine.
I then downloaded the manual which talks about the underplayfield trough test. Went in the test menu and it isn't there.... at that point, realised that the game is running v0.8 of the software. I think I read somewhere that it should be at v2.3. How do I go about updating the software?
I can find the files on ipdb, is it that time when someone needs to transfer the files to one of the pcb chip?
I also checked the coil and it is the right one ae 23 800. At which point I realise that the coil is held on the bracket with a pair of cable ties. It is missing the support bracket. Looked at the manual, found the reference for the bracket. Looked it up on the Internet and couldn't find it in the UK. Bought from a place in Germany. Watched the coil trying to eject a ball and it moves back a little when trying to kick back. Hopefully the bracket will help. Also ordered new coils. I think what's happening is that the coil naturally struggle to eject even one ball. But it tries and then a second ball comes and wedge itself between the coil and the ball being ejected, and then the coil has two balls to eject. And it can't do it.

Attachments

• 20200711_215239.jpg
    20200711_215239.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 19
Dom, you’ll need someone with a rom burner to do you an updated set. I’d normally say give Paul a shout but obviously he’s with his dad at the moment so The Legend, Jim or Mr Palmer should be able to sort you out.

Which one would that be on this board?

Attachments

• 20200712_144356.jpg
    20200712_144356.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 16
Yippee. Received the shelf / bracket for the under playfield coil, removed the cable ties, installed the shelf and the coil is firing the ball every time now. Also got new coils just in case but kept the original one at the moment.

Next is the jump on the big ramp, it is missing one of those long hexagonal vertical support with a thread at both ends. That place in germany also had one so i bought it too. It should have been easy to install but the post in the playfield that is meant to receive the hex post has a blocked top instead of a thread. Could be dirt so ill investigate to see if that also needs replacing.

Enjoying fixing it. And now enjoying playing it too.

Back
Top Bottom