What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bad film = good pin.... article

Not convinced that Lost In Space is a better pin than film. Neither really have a lot going for them.

What happened to Twister on the list? BSD sucked as a film as well.

Not convinced that Lost In Space is a better pin than film. Neither really have a lot going for them.

What happened to Twister on the list? BSD sucked as a film as well.
I love Coppolas BSD, utterly deranged, over the top. Visually stunning. Great stuff. [emoji41]

BSD sucked as a film as well.
Really? I thought BSD won a lot of awards when it came out and did very well in the cinema. I put it down to the 'Curse of Keanu', he was probably the only weak point in the film.

Whoo for JM, yeah that did suck bigtime but the pin is fab!

can't stand the BSD film. Remember it coming out and really wanting to see it and then finding it so cheesy and OTT. The blond bint sticks in my mind for being super crap. I might be being overly harsh though as I haven't see it since the early 90s.

I seem to remember the early 90s as having a rash of really bad horror movies. Wolf must have been a particular low point.

Mind you I have no taste as I still watch Kindergarten Kop every time it's on TV.

Oh and the 2nd Indiana Jones film is sucks balls as well, never made it past the dreadful musical number towards the start

Also I'm not convinced I've ever seen more than the first Star Wars film all the way through.....

Also I'm not convinced I've ever seen more than the first Star Wars film all the way through.....

Wtf!?! I think you are similar age to me John, so what the hell were you doing between the years 1977 and 1983 when every other kid was living and breathing Star Wars every waking moment !?! I can still draw a mean X Wing on the cover of an exercise book.... [emoji41] I bet you can't.

Outrageous stuff. Gary Oldman was supurb. Just watched it the other day for the first time in a while. It's still great. Shame about the casting of Keanu Reeves though. What was that about?? :eek:

Outrageous stuff. Gary Oldman was supurb. Just watched it the other day for the first time in a while. It's still great. Shame about the casting of Keanu Reeves though. What was that about?? :eek:
Anthony Hopkins as Van Helsing ! Tom Waits as insect gobbling nutter Renfield ! the hot vampire ladies [emoji6] .....it's a hoot from start to finish.

Anthony Hopkins as Van Helsing ! Tom Waits as insect gobbling nutter Renfield ! the hot vampire ladies [emoji6] .....it's a hoot from start to finish.

Agreed. And the mental look they went with for 'Old' Dracula was just brilliantly insane. And the armor!!! Don't forget about his suit of armor at the start. Just awesome stuff.

Generally agree with list . JM and SHADOW the most obvious
Lost in space isn't the world's best game but you can judge when I take mine to the party this year.

can't stand the BSD film. Remember it coming out and really wanting to see it and then finding it so cheesy and OTT. The blond bint sticks in my mind for being super crap. I might be being overly harsh though as I haven't see it since the early 90s.

I seem to remember the early 90s as having a rash of really bad horror movies. Wolf must have been a particular low point.

Mind you I have no taste as I still watch Kindergarten Kop every time it's on TV.

Oh and the 2nd Indiana Jones film is sucks balls as well, never made it past the dreadful musical number towards the start

Wtf I used to like you john lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've only watched the first Star Wars (episode 4) of the first three too. Saw it in the cinema in Dover as a kid before getting the hovercraft to France the next morning.

Have watched the new three movies though, not sure if that's better or not though

In my defence though I own the first three on vhs...

I can't wholeheartedly agree with the article.

Congo and Flintsones I agree with

Tron was a pretty good film, come on?

I think good film = good pin is more appropriate :-

Indiana Jones (Williams) :thumbs:
Star Wars (Data East) :thumbs:
Starship Troopers:thumbs:

Bad film = bad pin :-

Demolition Man
Terminator 3
Stargate

So, it seems these forums are not only brimming full of people with bad taste in pins, but bad taste in films also!

Sorry, replace 'bad' with 'none at all'.

How can anyone hate on BSD? It's one of the greatest Dracula/horror movies to date and Gary Oldman's performance is nothing short of spectacular. Anthony Hopkins too! Sure it's a little cheesy, but all 80's and 90's films were. It's a highly derranged film. Just awesome.

As for the actual list in the article though. Meh, I cannot deal with 3 of those:

5. Demolition Man
The pin is good but not amazing. The film however is a classic. It's freakin Snipes and Stallone for gods sake. One of the best action movies of the 90's, funny as hell. I bet the guy who wrote the list thinks Last Action Hero is a good film and the pin sucks. I mean come on!

6. Stargate
The film was brilliant, it was the TV show which sucked balls big time. Shame they never made any sequels. I quite like pin bit in no way is it better than the film, the repetitiveness of it drives me bonkers and I don't think they utilised all that the Stargate IP has to offer.

10. Tron Legacy
Oh hell no! This film is actually a grower. I went to see this in IMAX when it first came out, thought it was visually stunning but the story was a bit dull. Well I now own it on Blu Ray and having watched it several times it's really grown on me. Daft Punk's film score is an absolute masterpiece and half the pleasure of this film came from those soundtracks shaking the entire theatre. The pin however lacks any real excitement. It's good, but Stern were too cheap with it. Perhaps if it had been produced now rather than 5 years ago there'd have been more eye candy on the playfield. I mean when you look at he film, and then look at Stern's effort, it looks like a kids toy.

One side effect of buying pins is that sooner or later you have to watch the film to see if you are missing anything. Luckily I've never bought a Shadow so don't know how bad that is. **** me Demo Man is a dreadful film:eek: I'm assuming it is meant to be a comedy but who knows....

Congo - great book, bad film:(

Can only assume JPLW is better than the film (Whereas both JP and the film are great)

Flintstones has to be one of the worst films of all time.

With the Starwars films it was virtually impossible to go to the cinema as a kid, so probably only did it once every few years and as such probably never got bitten by the bug. For example I've never ever seen goonies all the way through either (which I suspect is a good thing). Even now I don't really do the film thing in cinemas. End up going to the kids clubs one with my little ones but paying £10+ a ticket for a crap film where people talk over it isn't my idea of fun (and then factor in another £40 for a babysitter). Managed not to see any films in a cinema between the Blair Witch Project and Terminator 3. (and both of those also sucked)

Harry Potter? Never understood the fuss:p

Need for speed 234535? Never seen any of them.

Weirdly though I'm not adverse to a RomCom.:confused: Bring on the Drew Barrymore pin and I'll buy it.

Utterly amazed at how there can be two people that have not seen the Star Wars films :-o
You should be forced to watch them before being allowed to post here again ;)
And john how can you not have seen temple of doom!! And the goonies :sad::-o
I also think that Dracula was a great movie I loved it the game has yet to fully click with me , but it looks and sounds right.....
Not seen the goonies WTF!! That's gonna bug me all day, john you should come down mine and watch it I have just finished a new set up so no talking or popcorn rustling guaranteed , bring your lad as well, I feel duty bound to help you :thumbs:

I've seen all the originals, however none of the new ones. I wanted to sit down and watch them all in the supposed "correct order", however never actually got the time.... Maybe this summer..... :)

Yeah, some of those movies were absolute stinkers.

A lot of the ones I like are probably more as a result of nostaligia than them necessarily being amazing films. I was a big fan of the Star Wars movies but the quality is hugely variable and of course the first three released were far superior to the CGI-fests that followed.

Goonies still is a classic movie. Probably top of the pile of stinkers for me would be the Flintstones - that movie really sucked.

Thought BSD was a superb film, JM great game mediocre movie, JD mediocre game, new film was decent.

JD is based on the comics and not on the film. The JD comics are awesome and so is the new film. The stallone film is a really bad adaptation though. Either way im mad to play a JD!

No way dude, Return of the Jedi is a great film :) It's just because it came after Empire which is one of the greatest films of all time that it's seen as not that good! Temple of Doom had the same problem, great film but came after Raiders which is a masterpiece :thumbs:

I suppose it's a bit old for that article, but Stern's 'Meteor' was a lot more enjoyable than the 1979 film it was licensed from.

And there could be another article in discussing games which barely scrape past the requirement for a licence, such as Bally Eight Ball (tv series 'Happy Days'), Vector ('Tron'), the Bell Games conversion kit World Defender ('The Terminator'), Williams F-14 Tomcat and Premier/Gottlieb Gold Wings (both aimed at the tommy 'cardboard' cruise vehicle 'Pop Gun') and Attack From Mars (as close as possible to 'Mars Attacks!').

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom