What's new

Back up battery eliminator chips ? Pinball NVRAM Module "Battery Eliminator" (Replace 6264 SRAM)

lmtc

Registered
I saw this on ebay on ebay for £20 and it looks a good idea, i woundered if anyone here had purchased one or if indeed the seller was a forum member. I have a T3 im rather keen to get the batteries of the board on.I have purchased a remote battery box but havent fitted it yet then saw this,Does anyone have any views or advice please.

Pinball NVRAM Module "Battery Eliminator" (Replace 6264 SRAM)

Lithium battries are far less likely to leak but still can.

Lithiums are also more likely to overheat or burn/go on fire (although also very unlikely)
The main problem these days is being sure you have bought lithiums and not cheap knock offs pretending to be lithiums or poorly made lithiums which are more likely to fail.

All stored energy is a risk...

The pros of the battery saver roms far out way the cons (main one being time and date settings, hardly a major concern in a pin)

I saw this on ebay on ebay for £20 and it looks a good idea, i woundered if anyone here had purchased one or if indeed the seller was a forum member. I have a T3 im rather keen to get the batteries of the board on.I have purchased a remote battery box but havent fitted it yet then saw this,Does anyone have any views or advice please.

Pinball NVRAM Module "Battery Eliminator" (Replace 6264 SRAM)

Things like that have 0.1" header pins that aren't great for inserting into std ic sockets. They should be built with turned pin legs but don't because of the cost.

I now have chips that can be plugged directly into the socket for whitestar games which won't damage the socket

If you're prepared to wait for delivery from china 6264 replacements can be had fro around £10 http://r.ebay.com/RsBdRy

Be wary of chinese ebay sellers. Chips used are not always good quality stock. It takes awhile to find trustworthy ones. The chips may be reject, badly stored or partially corrupted stock. Just my view of course....

Be wary of chinese ebay sellers. Chips used are not always good quality stock. It takes awhile to find trustworthy ones. The chips may be reject, badly stored or partially corrupted stock. Just my view of course....
I have one of these from this seller in a WPC machine and it's working fine, although as usual I had to put in a socket on that game.

Deleting a diode on the circuit means that a supercap will get charged while the machine is on.

I only have a grand total of one machine's experience making this replacement but it is my preferred method.
Presumably it acts like a battery still, so things like TZ's clock stay correct.

Presumably it acts like a battery still, so things like TZ's clock stay correct.
Yep.

It's a tradeoff between having to bother with battery replacement, versus having to power on the system every now and again to keep the supercapacitor charged. For a game seeing regular home use or is on site it's an easy choice as the supercap is fully charged after about half an hour, and lasts over a month. If you have games in storage it's less obvious a choice between coin cells and supercaps. You may only have to replace the lithium cell every year or so, but a good Panasonic supercapacitor essentially won't require replacement for decades and is still the price range of a couple of quid.

Of course if money is no issue then the NVRAM solution wins on every count except cost - and perhaps complexity of installation but that really shouldn't factor in the decision for arguably the most critical pinball mod of all time.

I went for the chip/ram from Jim @myPinballs £20 delivered in my opinion is cheap/great value especially taking in the hassle of having to remember the battery's every 6 months
All three solutions are far, far better than the original crap that everyone went with, for some reason, so it's all good!

NVRAM is absolutely the best when available, if you need to do board-level repair and keep the scores, or even transplant scores across mainboards, it's got you covered.

Back
Top Bottom