What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Back To The Future Pinball Issues.

rolydog2001

Registered
Hi
As some will be aware from my 'newbie' thread I have a BTTF Pinball. It is fully working but needed some restoration work. Many bulbs out/rubbers broken/missing display broken. Anyway I purchased a re-furb kit from the US and have slowly been working around the play field cleaning/replacing bits. The one issue I'm stuck on is where the ball goes through a non-return flap into the 'bumper' section. Having replaced the perished/broken rubber band the non return flap now fowls on the rubber band. Also the perspex part that fits above it ( twin pine mall/lone pine mall) part fits over the 3 fixings to cover the rubber band part does not fit very well either.
Question is should it be such a poor design or would anyone know how these should be installed if incorrect. I have tried to google for pictures but was unable to find any specific pics.
Thanks in advance
Chris
BTTF1.JPG

The rubber looks fine to me it’s the gate that looks like it’s in the wrong place , should it not be on the clear ramp above, just on the bend of either shot that feed onto the middle Shute back down ?

The rubber looks fine to me it’s the gate that looks like it’s in the wrong place , should it not be on the clear ramp above, just on the bend of either shot that feed onto the middle Shute back down ?

Ian is correct, that gate shouldn't be there... Just remove it.

Thanks, I know it looks wrong, I have attached another picture from above. According to the parts book the rubber is correct going over the 3 uprights. As I wrote the original rubber was perished and broken so it worked as it was. Thats why I was trying to locate a picture from another owner (I know these things are rare)
BTTF2.JPG

Looking at the wear on the playfield it looks like the ball stopped there so that means that gate is the wrong way round ?

Looking at the wear on the playfield it looks like the ball stopped there so that means that gate is the wrong way round ?
Yehh I get what your saying and I had noticed the wear and thought it was a bit odd. Problem is the gate does not fit in the gap the other way around either! Nor IMHO would it make any sence either to be that way around.
Chris

Thanks, I just needed confirmation really (should have checked the manual I bought) Odd it was put there then!
Chris

Ok, Machines all back together/cleaned/dozens of failed bulbs replaced (never realized how many these things have!) and am really pleased with it. Will never be a show winner as the cabinet is not perfect. Would like to change it if anyone has an empty one please get in touch.
Anyway I would like to change the coin mechanism/acceptor (to help extract the children's spending money back) ;) I'm guessing it's an industry standard mechanism with a specific model number. At present even though the door has three holes there is only one mechanism there that accepts modern 10p's I would like to change this to modern £1 or two one for £1 and one for 50p's
Does anyone know if there is a way to do this please or who ideally someone on the forum) who can do this?
Thank You
Chris
DSCN5056.JPG
DSCN5055.JPG

they are s10 mechs,you can get them for new coins,however sometimes you have to remove the magnet from them,to cope with newer magnetic coins,plus you will have to change the coin plastic entry as well

Sometimes the manuals are printed later than some of the final, post-testing revisions to a game, sometimes mid-production run. A gate like the one pictured that's attached to the middle of the three posts with the rubber around them, looks like an intentional revision, assuming the gate is orientated to prevent the ball going from pop bumpers to that spinner lane. It will have been added to increase the amount of time the ball spends in the pop bumpers, probably they thought the ball escaped down the spinner lane too easily. Or maybe the ball coming up the spinner lane would hit a single pop bumper then eject back out again, making it hard to actually enter the bumpers from that direction.

The playfield wear being where it is, and not in the place where it would be when 'correctly' installed, implies to me that the gate has been incorrectly installed for a very long time.

Playfield parts that are ordinarily hidden under ramps are often parts that never get replaced, or get bodged and then forgotten about for a long time...

, assuming the gate is orientated to prevent the ball going from pop bumpers to that spinner lane. It will have been added to increase the amount of time the ball spends in the pop bumpers, probably they thought the ball escaped down the spinner lane too easily. Or maybe the ball coming up the spinner lane would hit a single pop bumper then eject back out again, making it hard to actually enter the bumpers from that direction
I think your correct, I tried it without the gate and it just kept throwing the ball back out down the spinner lane as you suggested. Works much better with the gate installed. Mind works much better full stop with a non broken rubber in place for the ball to bounce off!

they are s10 mechs,you can get them for new coins,however sometimes you have to remove the magnet from them,to cope with newer magnetic coins,plus you will have to change the coin plastic entry as well

Thanks, any idea of a supplier? all I see on EBay for £1 ones are plastic, nor can I locate plastic entry denomination signs.

Thanks
Chris

Back
Top Bottom