What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Attack From Mars (remake); (various) rubber replacement advice, flipper alignment etc

Den - aka Wolfgang

Site Supporter
Afternoon all, am now the proud owner of an AFMr LE, however it needs some work and would appreciate your advice:

Replacing rubbers; Game has never hadrubbers replaced since new; it looks like I can get to most rubbers to replace by loosening bolts holding plastics and lifting up a bit, but am I right in saying to change the rubbers at the top (pop bumpers lanes etc) is going to be a ballache involving removing the plastic ramp above?

Flippers;
The game is currently not playing like it should; I'm generally pretty good at AFM, but the way the flipper are aligned on mine feels weired and the shots don't feel as they should (aim feels weired- where I'd normally aim for the lock shot the ball is going way too much to the left and bricking the left ramp instead) - what's the correct way to line up the flipper on AFM? - hopefully can see in my pics; the allignment holes in the pf have somewhat been used, but I'm used to the Stern approach where the centre of the flipper tip/plastic is aligned to the guide holes.
I'm also currently running flipper power at +2, as they felt weak (PF pitch is at around 7 or a bit less). My game is one of the later ones, so has the newer chip installed in the board.
Right flipper was also sticking after flipping, as if too close to the PF, but then was o.k after a bit of cajoling.
I then removed and cleaned both coiled sleeves before putting back in (right one has a rough part on it - will ordering and replacing both)
Can't adjust flipper angle etc at the mo' as need the right sized spanner and due to angle on right flipper mech, can't reach the nut to loosen with my current tools:-(

Skill shot launch; will need to look at this a bit further, but when doing the hold left flipper Skill shot launch, the ball can get slowed down by something on the right hand side, so whilst the comes round 95% of the time rather than going through the pops, it's not as fast/smooth.
There used to be a "left gate stuck closed " alert or something like that, but that's stopped being flagged up now (I spent a little time moving the gates a bit incase it was just a bit of debris/lack of use or something)
Also checked to see if gate springs have come loose and so far haven't identified anything out of the ordinary.
Looking on pinside, there was a issue with with some Afmr games whereby the shooter lane plate needed to be bent to fix the problem, but I'm not sure that's the issue, rather than one if the orbit gates, so will record a vid to watch in slow-mo first.

VUK from lock can sometimes take a few goes to get the ball up to the wire form so that it can reach the left flipper - this I think is either also an issue reported on pinside and I need to look up the fix, or relates to the Eddy's diner mod my game has, which might currently be misaligned (might be another slo-mo job) - need to look up if I can just pull off the mod for now, or if it has any power/bulb hookups to be careful of (wasn't personally fitted by original owner)

Outlane posts- currently I'd say 90% of my drsnes are via brutal outlane drains (exacerbated by the current iffy flipper allignment); am I correct in saying I can slide the posts down?; looks like gaps alowing about a cm or so movement.

Final kind of niggle I have likely replaced to pitch; when leaving the right orbit at slower speeds, the ball is hitting the right sling, rather than the right flipper. In general, the games not playing as smoothly as it should ; fairly often there's a bit of rattle to ramp shots, rather than being smooth as butter as I've seen on some streams; any adjustment tips for this?; or am I right in saying once I've realigned the flippers the geometry will then feel smoother?

Finally, the two fly(?) bolts in the backbox (which help hold it up) have some kind of white rust or something on them; best way to make them look shiny and new?; or a link to just buy new ones and replace?
Cheers!

Edit; added a pic of the alt translight I bought from PH; much prefer it:)

Attachments

• 20240307_195303.mp4
    23.4 MB
  • 20240309_115150.jpg
    20240309_115150.jpg
    192.7 KB · Views: 60
  • 20240311_125447.jpg
    20240311_125447.jpg
    289.3 KB · Views: 62
  • 20240311_125454.jpg
    20240311_125454.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 56
  • 20240311_125501.jpg
    20240311_125501.jpg
    176 KB · Views: 43
  • 20240311_125337.jpg
    20240311_125337.jpg
    154.4 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
That alignment looks right to me. The bat should sit against the rollpin hole not the rubber (in most cases, but people have their own preferences). If any higher the orbits feel awful and the game doesn't feel like AF.

The fact it's a remake might be a contributing factor to it feeling weird. Most I've played feel different to originals even when the flippers are aligned the same.

My afm isn't currently with me so I can't share pics of my alignment unless I can find a photo of @Sertx can get one for me 😄

Edit: found a video on my Google photos that shows the flippers

Slow orbits can hit the slings, that's why some players hit the side of the cabinet to knock the ball away from the ball guide and subsequently the sling.

You can slide your outlane posts just loosen them underneath and adjust

There is a 'secret menu' in remakes that you can control the power of coils. Have a look in that.

Had to tweet quite a few machines that way.

You have to hold down either one or two of the 4 coin door buttons for a few seconds...... Also allows you to change a load of other things.

CGC manual here:

Also make sure you are on the latest CGC firmware:

The remakes do play differently to originals in my opinion and quite a few other peoples opinion.

One pal sold his remake and has bought an original.

The playfield has of course many more layers of clearcoat than the original.......

That alignment looks right to me. The bat should sit against the rollpin hole not the rubber (in most cases, but people have their own preferences). If any higher the orbits feel awful and the game doesn't feel like AF.

The fact it's a remake might be a contributing factor to it feeling weird. Most I've played feel different to originals even when the flippers are aligned the same.

My afm isn't currently with me so I can't share pics of my alignment unless I can find a photo of @Sertx can get one for me 😄

Edit: found a video on my Google photos that shows the flippers

Slow orbits can hit the slings, that's why some players hit the side of the cabinet to knock the ball away from the ball guide and subsequently the sling.

You can slide your outlane posts just loosen them underneath and adjust
Nice one Dave 👍🏻 - your game looks wicked (think I maybe prefer the burning buildings artwork you have at the back of your cab to the one CGC went with)
I'm going to mess with the pitch, put new flipper rubbers on and change out the flipper coil sleeves and see how that goes. The lock shot on mine defo feels off on mine; re; which part of the flipper yiu have to use and hitting the forcefield on the fly from the skill shot launch is v.dofficult on mine; the angle meant it's a bit more of a limp shot.
Did the side his to the cab on slower decents to avoid slings on Met when I had one; just wanting sure if the ball should always be clearing them from that angle 👍

There is a 'secret menu' in remakes that you can control the power of coils. Have a look in that.

Had to tweet quite a few machines that way.

You have to hold down either one or two of the 4 coin door buttons for a few seconds...... Also allows you to change a load of other things.

CGC manual here:

Also make sure you are on the latest CGC firmware:

The remakes do play differently to originals in my opinion and quite a few other peoples opinion.

One pal sold his remake and has bought an original.

The playfield has of course many more layers of clearcoat than the original.......
Cheers; dad already been in the CGC menu to adjust the flipper strength; just hold the service button in for 5 seconds or so (doesn't seem to be a setting anywhere
in Amy menu to turn off the bloody knocker :) - wish it was a digital one which I could just lower the volume on. Sacrilege I know!:)...
I've heard a bunch of people say the remake plays differently and then a bunch say it's the same - either way I'm sure I'll get it dialled in nicely.
Me and some non-pinhead mates were playing it all Saturday and despite it currently playing brutal couldn't stop having one more go ; awesome game

Lols, you think you have problems. I have a project AFM that I want to get back to, I never took photos, putting it back together is going to be a lot of trial and error

Just remove the ramps, if you need to replace rubbers, then the machine needs a good clean at the same time
Lots of photos and you will be fine

Holy sheet Den you seem to attract problem pins 😦
CGC are usually bombproof my MBr LE never missed a beat and I was 2nd and 4th owner.

Hi all, am I correct in saying that the monthership cliffy protector is identical for both the OG and Remake? ; as far as I can tell, the PF and mechs are the same (barring extra saucer lights/boards) and such?

Hi all, am I correct in saying that the monthership cliffy protector is identical for both the OG and Remake? ; as far as I can tell, the PF and mechs are the same (barring extra saucer lights/boards) and such?
I think they are different, he sells different sets on the website.
1st photo remake mothership cliffy
2nd my original mothership cliffy
IMG_2157.png
IMG_2160.jpeg

That super skill shot feels odd on remakes. At least it did at the one at the pinball office. I did a lot of fettling on that example, I thought I'd fixed it by adjusting the power but it was never like my original.

Might be another original Vs remake thing 🧐
It's almost like a different game requiring you to play differently 😄

From the few examples of remakes I've played, none of them have the feel of the original and all play a lot harder and less smoothly.

From the few examples of remakes I've played, none of them have the feel of the original and all play a lot harder and less smoothly.

Out of all the remakes - Monster Bash plays the best...

MMr and AFMr both feel different but great if you don't have much experience of the originals or played one in years lol

That said I'd have a MMr Royal any day

Here's my flipper alignment.
Had many compliments on how nice it plays. I have it set up really steep too but it feels best that way 😄 lightning fast!

Attachments

• IMG-20240313-WA0052.jpg
    IMG-20240313-WA0052.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG-20240313-WA0054.jpg
    IMG-20240313-WA0054.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 22
Here's my flipper alignment.
Had many compliments on how nice it plays. I have it set up really steep too but it feels best that way 😄 lightning fast!
Nice one Dave👍🏻 hopefully have new Coil sleeves and flipper bushings arriving tomorrow, so should be able to see what's what.

Thanks for your input all👍🏻 Interesting re; supposed differences between the OG and remake- for every person who says the remake is different/not as smooth, I've seen others say there's no difference at all (personally I've play some originals which were great and some which played like ass...also played a couple of other remakes which both had SOL kickout issues (adjustment needed)
My theory is that the OG games we've all played have often benefited from nearly 20 years of adjustments, wear in (the good kind...I can only liken this to guitars) and love.
Add to that, that rarely do 2 machines play identically, and we often love and are used to our games at home (I know I preferred both MET's I've owned to others I've played - others felt clunky, partly because I was dialed in on my one at home.

Regardless of a tweaking/flipper rejuvenation, I've had a couple of cracking games on mine this week - got a bit more dialed in on the slightly unnatural feeling shots and was getting some flow going on a fairly consistent basis. What an awesome game - even though it's probably 2nd on my most played list, having played various machines for years.
Didn't manage to get on the high scores board, but so much fun.
Right flipper sticking again, so my parts delivery can't come soon enough:)

Out of all the remakes - Monster Bash plays the best...

MMr and AFMr both feel different but great if you don't have much experience of the originals or played one in years lol

That said I'd have a MMr Royal any day
MB remakes I've played have also been great:) (would like one some day)-nearly all the OG MB's I've played have been badly neglected and played like crap unfortunately (obvs well maintained ones are still brilliant)

I think they are different, he sells different sets on the website.
1st photo remake mothership cliffy
2nd my original mothership cliffy
View attachment 246709
View attachment 246710
Interesting to know, cheers mate!
Will have to see if @David retro can get them in if it works out cheaper; don't really need the full set which Cliffy sells though. Also need to build up the enthusiasm to spend a bit of time fitting, so not in a rush 😶‍🌫️

Cliffy makes to order and he's so busy you're looking at 4-6 months wait going by other people's comments.
If you can get similar elsewhere I'd go with them.

You can also try contact cgc as people on pinside say that they are good at helping on technical things on all there games, shame they can’t make them quick enough though

You can also try contact cgc as people on pinside say that they are good at helping on technical things on all there games, shame they can’t make them quick enough though
It's pretty much aorter now; just a minor annoyance where the VUK can at tines take a couple of goes to get the ball out (CGC posted a fix for that; just need to slightly bend the mech- haven't got round to it) and the skill shot launch could be smoother (will either be autolaunch alignment or adjusting the metal in the lane); just have to spend the time doing it instead of playing:) - need to also adjust the pitch level first aswell, as might be contributing to the above.
Awesome game though; can only think of maybe a few games which I'd potentially swap it out for next year, but let's see.

Back
Top Bottom