What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Complete Attack From Mars (in Yorkshire...)

Your coil wrappers look very smart! Nice work. How did you fix them once wrapped? Bit of tape or dab of glue?

Nice work on the sausage rolls too ;)

Your coil wrappers look very smart! Nice work. How did you fix them once wrapped? Bit of tape or dab of glue?

Nice work on the sausage rolls too ;)
cheers - just used a laser printer on appropriately coloured paper, printed to 'actual size' in the printer options. Stuck them at the ends with UHU glue.

i have quite a few left over and could easily make more when i next visit the office.

Bit of tidying needed in the ever-expanding space which has been commandeered for Pinball...

So this meant finally putting the black powder coated side rails on, placing the back box on top of the cabinet and temporarily securing it with the wing nut and latch (so it's not blocking the doorway), and finally digging out the long-buried box of black round-headed bolts used to secure the coin door and backbox hinges.

It's a bit of false sense of achievement, seeing as all i've done is move stuff about (for good reason), but it feels like a huge milestone to see it as a complete cabinet again, albeit no playfield. That's the type of thing that drives me on after 5months with no AFM... i may be slow but i like to think i'm doing it properly and not neglecting all the other jazz in life.

IMG_0282.JPG

I'm 50% through swapping the playfield cable looms over and doing a little bit of metal cleaning - nothing crazy. I had to move where is was doing this due to a flat roof leak; a military operation in it's own right.

And, as you might be able to see, we have rearranged stuff in prep for a family garden party in August (that's my excuse anyway). Games all at 45deg angles purely because this ex-coal-shed-extension-and-utility-room-thing isn't wide enough to get the glasses off if they were sat alongside one another (i.e. properly). It also means the noise from the game to your left is right in your ears when your trying to to focus on your game in front.

IMG_0283.JPG

At this angle I'm definitely on borrowed time with the number of games because they're spreading closer to kitchen! The table used to be where AFM now sits, then i used it for the playfield swap, now it's packed away - you get the picture. But I'd like a Congo... Monkeys are awesome.

We NEED a home office/shed/pinball room desperately now. If anyone wants to take the old asbestos concrete garage away, then it's all yours. FREE!

...one day i'll actually finish painting that skirting...

Last edited:
Ah! AFM one of my dream machines - looking very very sweet there Monkeyboy. Nice cab work Darren - I've still a lot to learn!!!

Bit of tidying needed in the ever-expanding space which has been commandeered for Pinball...

So this meant finally putting the black powder coated side rails on, placing the back box on top of the cabinet and temporarily securing it with the wing nut and latch (so it's not blocking the doorway), and finally digging out the long-buried box of black round-headed bolts used to secure the coin door and backbox hinges.

It's a bit of false sense of achievement, seeing as all i've done is move stuff about (for good reason), but it feels like a huge milestone to see it as a complete cabinet again, albeit no playfield. That's the type of thing that drives me on after 5months with no AFM... i may be slow but i like to think i'm doing it properly and not neglecting all the other jazz in life.

View attachment 7838

I'm 50% through swapping the playfield cable looms over and doing a little bit of metal cleaning - nothing crazy. I had to move where is was doing this due to a flat roof leak; a military operation in it's own right.

And, as you might be able to see, we have rearranged stuff in prep for a family garden party in August (that's my excuse anyway). Games all at 45deg angles purely because this ex-coal-shed-extension-and-utility-room-thing isn't wide enough to get the glasses off if they were sat alongside one another (i.e. properly). It also means the noise from the game to your left is right in your ears when your trying to to focus on your game in front.

View attachment 7837

At this angle I'm definitely on borrowed time with the number of games because they're spreading closer to kitchen! The table used to be where AFM now sits, then i used it for the playfield swap, now it's packed away - you get the picture. But I'd like a Congo... Monkeys are awesome.

We NEED a home office/shed/pinball room desperately now. If anyone wants to take the old asbestos concrete garage away, then it's all yours. FREE!

...one day i'll actually finish painting that skirting...

How long before it's finished ? (not the skirting - the AFM!!!) - would sure like to play it some day - you're not that far from me !!!!

How long before it's finished ? (not the skirting - the AFM!!!) - would sure like to play it some day - you're not that far from me !!!!
My deadline's August, mainly because it's been 5months now & i really want it done! But also because we have a load of family and friends over then and it'd be good to have all games working well.

More than welcome to come over once it's done. I got the lowest score on AFM at the last Northern meet, so don't expect a master-class!

It a great example of a Shadow, one of the nicest i've ever seen.
Agreed; it is very nice. Looks like the rails have been replated at some point, very 'gold'. Minor playfield marks at the tip of the Shadow's scarf, but you hardly notice it. Really like the game, but i'm in the 'cleaning it up ready for serious playtime' phase at the moment - i seem to do this with all my games thus far as it helps me understand how they work, preventing unnecessary incontinence when they break and i cant figure out why...

My deadline's August, mainly because it's been 5months now & i really want it done! But also because we have a load of family and friends over then and it'd be good to have all games working well.

More than welcome to come over once it's done. I got the lowest score on AFM at the last Northern meet, so don't expect a master-class!
Thanks Monkey boy may just take you up on that someday as my brother lives in Appleton Roebuck not a million miles from you!!

Cheers Kev

my brother lives in Appleton Roebuck not a million miles from you!!

Cheers Kev
Not far at all, 6miles maybe, but you have to go the long way around to get to us in Riccall as the river's blocking a more direct route. And we can't afford more bridges 'round here it seems. No wonder London took over as the capital city...

It's ****ing it down outside, I can't afford the multiple Spider-mans that have been for sale, so today is a cheap soldering coils day...

image.jpg

Not much to see yet.

image.jpg

As I understand things, normal solenoids (with 2 lugs - not flippers) can have the positive and negative wires wired either way.

And I've got 3weeks to finish this!

Can't wait to see the finished game. Those Flipper Fidelity speakers are fantastic too. I have them in my Tron and the bass the comes from the sub shakes the machine almost as much as the shaker itself.

The glass rattling in the channels is a bit of a p*sser, but I eventually opted to install some thicker UK spec glass and it elimated it completely.

I have pinball pro fitted into my TAF and like you say the base is as good as a shaker.
I quite like the rattle of the glass when building up to multiball.
It puts a shiver down your spine.
Can't beat it.

Agreed - the audio is tantamount to the visual. Flipper Fidelity, pinball pro, home brew upgrades - all good.

I played @replicas TAF and the whole thing shakes!

One of my only gripes with the bigger pinball shows is I can't hear **** because the games are either set too low or drowned out by other games. You miss so much of the games' experience. But you can't play them on your own in silent rooms all the time, no fun in that!

@Rus121 "Thicker glass" - is that 6mm?

Yeah 6mm. Phil from Pinball Heaven sorted it out for me.

I also hate the fact you can't hear the pins at shows. I always hoped a headphone solution could be implemented but I've not seen it happen over the years.

Wasn't there someone making a simple headphone jack board on pinside?

I wonder if we are missing out on some extra pinball pleasure by not fitting the Flipper Fidelities to the coin door instead? :rofl:

bop_and_mousin.jpg

Back
Top Bottom