What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Assembly Quality

thejefu

Site Supporter
Alias
magicwizard
Do these things just break?

I've currently owned a modern Stern, a System 11B Bally and now a Data East GnR. Stern I only ever had to replace a faulty leaf switch. Bally a few fried connectors. The DE I fix every other session.

Loose or undone soldering, cold solders, pinched cables, overly tight wire ties. I'm honestly considering stripping every single connection and reassembling the whole thing.

Anyone else experience this or am I just having bad luck?

I think you were just unlucky with that Stern, I’d played it for years and that switch worked fine. It was probably the original and decided to die after 17yrs, which is commendable. Buying a more recent Stern is another thing entirely.

I gingerly attempted a slap save this morning and the plunger just started firing eratically. They're a joke.

I do like their flow though. Some might call it low quality or cheap versus Bally/Williams (probably right), but the lightness of the slingshots and the general featherlight flow of the table is nice.

Switch on the guitar feature broke, was working this morning.

I'm going to just keep this as a log to illustrate the degree of trash of the craftsmanship on these things.

Back
Top Bottom